Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

We all know how Boston, the SF bay area, etc became tech centers by leveraging first rate (and other) universities in the post WW2 era.

Which cities have done the most to leap ahead using one or more universities and the spinoff industries from those universities to drive their economies in more recent years?

I am thinking Pittsburgh (mainly CMU) and Austin (UT) are the clearest recent cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 02:46 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
At first glance, I would say that its definitely MIT and Stanford.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
We all know how Boston, the SF bay area, etc became tech centers by leveraging first rate (and other) universities in the post WW2 era.

Which cities have done the most to leap ahead using one or more universities and the spinoff industries from those universities to drive their economies in more recent years?

I am thinking Pittsburgh (mainly CMU) and Austin (UT) are the clearest recent cases.
NC Research Triangle (Duke/UNC/WF/NC State)
Denver Boulder
UIUC
GT
UW

basically just look at the schools with the top engineering and CS programs, coupled with access or control over national laboratories, there is your answer.

prime examples are UCB and Stanford, both next to SV Market, plus you have Lawrence Livermore and Lawrence berkeley

look at UC and UIUC, not quite the tech market, but large Chicago employment market + Argonne and Fermi

Princeton/Rutgers .. NYC market, + Brookhaven and the Princeton Plasma Physics.

CMU could be much stronger in a better market, hence why they have a satellite campus in Bay Area. They were one of the first programs to guarantee tech jobs to its graduates.

Last edited by grapico; 07-13-2010 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 02:58 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Interesting thread. +1

I wonder if this is what happened with Los Angeles in the 80's-90's when it became an aerospace and defense hub. The L.A. area has a lot of excellent engineering schools (specifically aerospace, aeronautical, and mechanical) like Cal Tech, USC, UCLA, UCI, and perhaps Harvey Mudd. I wonder if the area schools' strength in engineering helped fuel the Aerospace industry during that time?

Anyways, the best contemporary example I can think of is the Boston area with its tech schools. Universities like Harvard and MIT help support Boston's tech industry and keep it cutting edge.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
At first glance, I would say that its definitely MIT and Stanford.

except I said over the last 10 years, and those areas were pretty well established long before 2000.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:04 PM

to clarify I meant places where A. The university(ies) has been particulary influential in growing/reviving the metro area in the last TEN years - IE not places where the tech corridor/center developed way back in the 1940s and 50s, even if growth there has continued recently. So not Silicon Valley or Rte 128, but their more contemporary equivalents. B. NOT places where the MAIN economic drivers are something else. UC certainly helps Chicago, but AFAICT its mainly lost in the wash of everything else going on - ditto Princeton in NJ, Columbia in NY, etc.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Interesting thread. +1

I wonder if this is what happened with Los Angeles in the 80's-90's when it became an aerospace and defense hub. The L.A. area has a lot of excellent engineering schools (specifically aerospace, aeronautical, and mechanical) like Cal Tech, USC, UCLA, UCI, and perhaps Harvey Mudd. I wonder if the area schools' strength in engineering helped fuel the Aerospace industry during that time?

Anyways, the best contemporary example I can think of is the Boston area with its tech schools. Universities like Harvard and MIT help support Boston's tech industry and keep it cutting edge.
Most definitely, especially the case when it comes to the modern internet and computer industry. Part of the reason universities get ranked so high is because they get projects with major companies, vice versa, as well as the ability to place them within those companies.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:06 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
except I said over the last 10 years, and those areas were pretty well established long before 2000.
Oh.

At the same time those are still the places that seem to be the biggest incubators of technology-based economic expansion and industry related growth.

But I see what you mean.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
NC Research Triangle (Duke/UNC/WF/NC State)
Denver Boulder
UIUC
GT
UW.
Research triangle is perhaps the best known instance after SV and 128, and is at least later than they are, but still, wasnt RT pretty well established by the 1980s?

UIUC - Chicago has so much going on economically, I dont see that as a key driver of its economy, though I could be wrong. You arent referring to something going on champagne urbana, are you?

UW = U washingon, or wisconsin?

GT = Georgia Tech. Is that really a key driver for Atlanta? I honestly don't know.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Research triangle is perhaps the best known instance after SV and 128, and is at least later than they are, but still, wasnt RT pretty well established by the 1980s?

UIUC - Chicago has so much going on economically, I dont see that as a key driver of its economy, though I could be wrong. You arent referring to something going on champagne urbana, are you?

UW = U washingon, or wisconsin?

GT = Georgia Tech. Is that really a key driver for Atlanta? I honestly don't know.
Not sure what else if not those, you are getting down to a more micro economic level than I am familiar with. Now that you say it on UW, both.

UIUC is UrbCh, not Chicago.

UIUC has NCSA and invented the first web browser, Mosaic > Netscape > Modern day Mozilla Firefox, as well as telnet/httpd/etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City