Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's the best hockey city in the US?
Denver, CO 11 4.35%
Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN 59 23.32%
Chicago, IL 19 7.51%
Detroit, MI 52 20.55%
Buffalo, NY 12 4.74%
Boston, MA 58 22.92%
Pittsburgh, PA 16 6.32%
Philadelphia, PA 13 5.14%
Other 13 5.14%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:45 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I'd like to point out that Michigan has SEVEN D1 Hockey teams.

That's all. Not saying we're a better hockey state. Just saying that you can't use "5 D1 hockey teams" as a bragging point anymore.
According to USA Hockey, Minnesota produces the most Division 1 hockey players. Slightly more than 40% of Division 1 hockey players are Minnesotans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 10:52 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
I can't believe this poll is even close. Too many dolts brainwashed with this "Hockeytown" propaganda.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,705,881 times
David Backes
Zach Parise
Jamie Langebrunner.... All olympians... All from Minnesota.

Look at one of the 'stars' on your NHL team. Chances are you have a Minnesotan as your star. 50% of NHL teams have a Minnesota-born player on their roster.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post

You do realize people in Minnesota (kids and adults) play hockey throughout the year? It was 90+ degrees on Wednesday (106 with humidity), but I was still able to play hockey. Again, it's all about access and exposure.
And that's exactly the point I was trying to make. You can play hockey indoor at a rink, so that's why I get tired of people saying hockey shouldn't be played in the Sunbelt. Why is it that you think it's okay to play hockey in Minnesota during the summer when it's 90 but you have a problem with people playing hockey in the South during the winter when it's 50 (or during the summer in the South when it's 90 for that matter)?

Old 07-16-2010, 11:44 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Michigan has made substantial gains in recent years, but it's still not that close.

From local to state to professional, Minnesota wins this..

Old 07-16-2010, 11:45 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
Ponds (outdoor rinks) are frozen by local governments (cities) when temps start consistently staying below 25 degrees. Outdoor hockey is worthless to play once temps are anywhere near or over 25 degrees (too hot with your clothes and moving around, and ice quality sucks) so, first freeze is generally around early-mid December. That lasts til about the end of February where it just gets too warm to maintain.

Outdoor rinks aren't the problem. How many 'towns' and small cities in the 'south' have indoor rinks? Almost every town has a rink, and some places have multiple sheets of ice in one arena (up to 10 rinks). That's the difference. Getting ice time is hard but it's not impossible to go play at an arena, epecially in rec leagues or intramurals.
Like I said earlier, I realize hockey is bigger up North and Minnesota is the best hockey state. But ice rinks do exist in warm places, just not to the same extent (although I heard Raleigh has more rinks per capita than any other city in America). If anything, fewer rinks in the South just means you have to be dedicated to stick with it despite having a harder time finding rinks. Unlike someone in Minnesota that might take it for granted that they have so many rinks and so many opportunities to play hockey.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
As someone who grew up in upstate NY and went to school in Philly I've never seen a hockey following like that in the twin cities

not even close on this one

the sheer number of backyard rinks, local parks with multiple rinks, indoor rinks, the following of HS, College and Professional levels .... the options for youth leagues

it's 100% completely ingrained into the culture to play, watch and breath hockey

Old 07-16-2010, 11:52 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
The south is not a hockey area. Period. I'm sure most people in Raleigh who skate/play hockey are transplants from the North. Hockey isn't popular in the south, just like NASCAR isn't big in Minnesota. Nothing wrong with it, just cultural differences.

To answer the OP: St. Paul/Minneapolis, followed closely by Detroit. Minnesota gets the nod because of its high school hockey. There just isn't much high school or youth hockey in (lower) Michigan.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:59 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
And that's exactly the point I was trying to make. You can play hockey indoor at a rink, so that's why I get tired of people saying hockey shouldn't be played in the Sunbelt. Why is it that you think it's okay to play hockey in Minnesota during the summer when it's 90 but you have a problem with people playing hockey in the South during the winter when it's 50 (or during the summer in the South when it's 90 for that matter)?
Because it's not part of the south's culture. Hockey is a Northern thing. The south is about NASCAR, fishing, basketball, baseball and football. Also, the lack of a winter in the south makes it impossible to play outdoor hockey.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Believe that the last US Olympic Team had 6 Michiganders and 4 Minnesotans but that doesn't really count, I'll think of a reason later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City