U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:05 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well I was talking about urban areas and not specific cities. With the exceptions of Stockton and Modesto all of those cities listed are in the SF Bay Area and none of them are that interesting to visit for a weekend vacation, even less so than Sacramento. The SF Bay Area is isolated from other major cities/urban areas worth visiting, Reno and LA would be the closest.

The best places to visit within a 100 miles of San Francisco in general aren't the more sizable cities---although Oakland, Berkeley, and San Jose all have some stuff worth checking out. The best places to visit around San Francisco are mostly on the coast or to the north or south. Places like the Napa or Sonoma Valleys, Russian River Valley, Point Reyes, Muir Beach, Santa Cruz, Monterrey, or any of the beaches on Highway 1 to the south.

If you want a location that you can visit multiple large urban cities within 100 miles--well then you can't really argue with cities in the Mid-Atlantic. Philadelphia is probably the most centralized. We just don't have that kind of density on the West Coast for the most part. From Seattle you can go north to Vancouver or south to Portland, but besides that there aren't any large cities for over 500 miles.

Last edited by Deezus; 07-15-2010 at 10:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:06 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,550,725 times
no one mentioned Seattle I think. There's lots to see and do around there too

Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,844,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I will argue Philly

NYC, Baltimore, DC, The Beach, The Mountains, Amish Country, Mountains, The Chesepeake, Atlantic City

7 major International airports and 5 regional ones, rail, highways

4 State capitals and National Capital

Amazing towns like Annapolis, Cape May, Hershey, New Hope

History - Philly plus places like Gettysburg and Valley Forge

Oh and 18 Professional sports teams, Unbelievable colleges and universities

Preakness, NASCAR (not a fan), World renown cycling, running, track, crew

Museums and arts of four amazing cities

Plus 35 million people (that can be a good or bad thing)

but i will stop, honestly I am not sure many places can offer as much packed into one small place

Oh and forgot, the number 1 (Pine Valley) and 7 (Merion) ranked golf courses in the world
That pretty much runs the gamut. There you go: Philadelphia.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:16 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,380,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
okkk whatever. I guess because you think it's great, than everyone else should too! We all have our own opinions. Where's Omni? I could really use your help if you are reading this. I don't agree with the politics, the mayor, the crime, the yuppies etc. I've had bad experiences visiting there with things being stolen from me and stuff like that that I have no reason to think it's great.
I don't really care whether people like it or hate it and I actually agree that it can be overrated by some and I don't care for the politics, mayor, crime, or yuppies either but there is a lot more to SF than that. No offense, I'm just saying you make yourself and possibly other San Diegan's look bad by gripping about it all the time but its a free country so do what you want. Yes some cities are praised a little too much on this board, it is what it is.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:18 PM

4,811 posts, read 8,550,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't really care whether people like it or hate it and I actually agree that it can be overrated by some and I don't care for the politics, mayor, crime, or yuppies either but there is a lot more to SF than that. No offense, I'm just saying you make yourself and possibly other San Diegan's look bad by gripping about it all the time but its a free country so do what you want. Yes some cities are praised a little too much on this board, it is what it is.
See. you act as if San Diegans are the only people who gripe about SF. I know there are many other people in many other states and cities who feel the same way. it is narrowminded to say such a thing.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The best places to visit within a 100 miles of San Francisco in general aren't the more sizable cities---although Oakland, Berkeley, and San Jose all have some stuff checking out. The best places to visit around San Francisco are mostly on the coast or to the north or south. Places like the Napa or Sonoma Valleys, Russian River Valley, Point Reyes, Muir Beach, Santa Cruz, Monterrey, or any of the beaches on Highway 1 to the south.

If you want a location that you can visit multiple large urban cities within 100 miles--well then you can't really argue with cities in the Mid-Atlantic. Philadelphia is probably the most centralized. We just don't have that kind of density on the West Coast for the most part. From Seattle you can go north to Vancouver or south to Portland, but besides that there aren't any large cities for over 500 miles.
I agree with everything you said here. Other Bay Area cities like Oakland, Berkeley, and SJ are good day trips, I guess I was think along the lines of weekend getaways which all of the areas you mentioned outside of the Bay Area are great for. I think Northern CA has good small towns and nature areas to visit but there aren't any cool cities outside the Bay Area, Sac is alright though.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
See. you act as if San Diegans are the only people who gripe about SF. I know there are many other people in many other states and cities who feel the same way. it is narrowminded to say such a thing.
I wasn't trying to say that at all, most people I know here don't even gripe about it. And I realize that some people all over the place don't care for it, but that is the case with any city. But it's a open forum so say what you want.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:33 PM

6,810 posts, read 9,371,343 times
Philadelphia, New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC and the San Francisco Bay area would be my top 5 guesses.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,715,708 times
Well Orlando all the way to Tampa has a tremendous amount of attractions. Or Orlando to the east and north and south with Kennedy Space center Beaches Daytona Beach International Speedway Etc Etc Etc. Its Interesting.

Nice Thread.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM

517 posts, read 1,121,766 times
Depends on what you mean by "most to see". Most east coast cities are in a closer radius to eachother so you would be able to hit many urban areas within a 100 miles. On the West Coast the major urban areas are hours apart from eachother but they have better access to Nature in a 100 mile radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or