U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:51 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,595,546 times

Advertisements

NYC has a lot.
-Philadelphia, Almost all of NJ/CT/Long Island, and the Hudson valley all the way up to Kingston (including the Catskills)
-Princeton, Yale, and Rutgers
-Harriman State Park NY, Catskill Park, The Delaware Water Gap NJ/PA, The Pine Barrens NJ, The Poconos in PA
-The Jersey Shore all the way down to Atlantic City, The LI shore all the way out to East Hampton, The CT coast all the way out to Clinton
-More heavily urban areas than any other 100 mile radius in the US (Mainly in NJ)
-More malls than any other 100 mile radius in the US
-Most extensive PT system than any other 100 mile radius in the US
-All the ritziest zip codes you can ask for (Greenwich, New Canaan, Alpine, Franklin Lakes, Ridgewood, Old Westbury.. and more)

Philadelpiha may have more a variety in a 100 mile radius, but either way, together they both cover the entire state of NJ- so it's a win win for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 11:58 AM

9,972 posts, read 14,014,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrockwonder View Post
Sort of off subject, but is there any city in the US, other than Moab, Utah that is within 35 miles of TWO National Parks?
That's an interesting question that I had to think about...

It's more about a range of about 30-100 miles, but the towns of the Eastern Sierra in California--Mammoth Lakes, Bishop, Independence, etc...are close the 4 national parks: Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Seqouia, and Death Valley. Of course you're accesing the more rugged east side for the mountain parks, but but it's great for backpackers or hikers.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,843,186 times
Chicago

Old 01-13-2011, 02:39 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,006,481 times
Its a bit hard to figure out since its radius and not travel distance. I'm pretty sure from Burlington VT you'd be in 100 mile radius of Boston, Montreal, and Ottawa with nothing but beautiful land in between. That sounds pretty damn nice to me.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,358,054 times
San Francisco.

In additional the wonderful scenery. It has three other major cities around it. Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:51 PM

6,554 posts, read 7,300,066 times
No question - Philly. We had two criteria in selecting where to relocate from Houston: 1) a vibrant urban environment, and 2) a wide variety of places to visit within a day's drive (see kidphily's post on the 1st page). The west coast cities have access to some spectacular scenery that can't be matched here, but to me it's all variations on a theme. The cities, countryside, historical attractions, NJ/DE beaches, Chesapeake and Delaware bays, small town festivals, etc within 100 miles of Philly will keep us busy for years.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,852,628 times
There's not much to see in Philly, other than history and Rocky steps at museum of art. You may also like to eat cheesesteak there, too or eat at Reading Terminal Market. Philly is boring, dirty and in shamble. It's also crime ridden and oh, watch out for those flash mobs who love to sucker punch you guys for entertainment. I'd avoid Philly altogether unless you want to check out the countryside outside.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 AM

1,533 posts, read 2,256,613 times
Seattle has 3 national parks several mountains and the ocean.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 AM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
San Francisco.

In additional the wonderful scenery. It has three other major cities around it. Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose.
Not to mention a $700 Billion economy-not bad for a 100-mile radius, home to 12 Million people and isolated from the rest of the country(just how we like it).

Within 100 miles of San Francisco you have the bay, wonderful oceanfront locatons, the world famous Napa and Sonoma Valleys, you have Monterey Bay and Big Sur, Pebble Beach, the Mendocino Coat, you also have vast California Delta, dozens of different microclimates, incredible racial and ethnic diversity, an incredibly diverse with no racial majority in most counties, and hyper productive economy with endless opportunities to make money-lots of it too.(LOL), sweeping natural vistas, valleys and mountains, and as you stated, Sacramento, Oakland and San Jose and their independent spheres of influence.

Its a superb 100-mile radius in which to live, work and play.

http://www.spur.org/documents/articl...ges/map001.gif

Go NorCal!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:43 AM

4,576 posts, read 7,621,538 times
I would say Sacramento. You have SF and the bay area. The beach.The central valley. The river delta. The sierra nevada mountains, wine country. The map from the previous post seems to point this out.

Quote:
Go NorCal!
Go me, go me, go me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or