U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

NYC, SF and Philly for urban areas, SF, LA, LV, Denver or Salt Lake City for nature.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,171 posts, read 12,182,445 times
Reputation: 4047
Seattle should have made the cut!

I think it would be either Los Angeles or San Francisco for nature. They have quite a good deal of that all around them.

New York City for "urban" areas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 07:18 AM
 
Location: The City
21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Reputation: 7489
I will argue Philly

NYC, Baltimore, DC, The Beach, The Mountains, Amish Country, Mountains, The Chesepeake, Atlantic City

7 major International airports and 5 regional ones, rail, highways

4 State capitals and National Capital

Amazing towns like Annapolis, Cape May, Hershey, New Hope

History - Philly plus places like Gettysburg and Valley Forge

Oh and 18 Professional sports teams, Unbelievable colleges and universities

Preakness, NASCAR (not a fan), World renown cycling, running, track, crew

Museums and arts of four amazing cities

Plus 35 million people (that can be a good or bad thing)

but i will stop, honestly I am not sure many places can offer as much packed into one small place


Oh and forgot, the number 1 (Pine Valley) and 7 (Merion) ranked golf courses in the world

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-15-2010 at 07:34 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Reputation: 1802
Los Angeles even more so than San Francisco. Both have coastlines and mountains but LA also has a desert on the other side of those mountains.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: The mountain of Airy
5,145 posts, read 4,986,937 times
Reputation: 3406
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I will argue Philly

NYC, Baltimore, DC, The Beach, The Mountains, Amish Country, Mountains, The Chesepeake, Atlantic City

7 major International airports and 5 regional ones, rail, highways

4 State capitals and National Capital

Amazing towns like Annapolis, Cape May, Hershey, New Hope

History - Philly plus places like Gettysburg and Valley Forge

Oh and 18 Professional sports teams, Unbelievable colleges and universities

Preakness, NASCAR (not a fan), World renown cycling, running, track, crew

Museums and arts of four amazing cities

Plus 35 million people (that can be a good or bad thing)

but i will stop, honestly I am not sure many places can offer as much packed into one small place


Oh and forgot, the number 1 (Pine Valley) and 7 (Merion) ranked golf courses in the world
Wow, good post. I was looking at the map, and there are a few really competitive places around the US, but to cover both nature, urbanity, politics, history, culture and other points of interest, this is going to be tough to beat. If you move north or south of Philly (e.g. Baltimore or NYC), you either miss the largest city in the US or the Capital.

I think there are more scenic places elsewhere (SF, Seattle, San Diego, etc.), but I don't think scenery and nature can override all the other pros you listed. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 11:26 AM
 
517 posts, read 1,121,766 times
Reputation: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Los Angeles even more so than San Francisco. Both have coastlines and mountains but LA also has a desert on the other side of those mountains.
Yea but San Francisco has Redwood Trees, the oldest living thing on the planet
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
 
Location: DC/Brooklyn, NY/Miami, FL
1,179 posts, read 2,410,669 times
Reputation: 391
Philly
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 11:35 AM
 
Location: The City
21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Reputation: 7489
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Wow, good post. I was looking at the map, and there are a few really competitive places around the US, but to cover both nature, urbanity, politics, history, culture and other points of interest, this is going to be tough to beat. If you move north or south of Philly (e.g. Baltimore or NYC), you either miss the largest city in the US or the Capital.

I think there are more scenic places elsewhere (SF, Seattle, San Diego, etc.), but I don't think scenery and nature can override all the other pros you listed. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

I agree there is more dramatic scenery on the west coast, but Areas of PA, NJ, and MD have some great mountains and river valleys, plus the Chesepeake and shore of NJ, DE, MD, and NY can be very nice.

Personally I think the Deleware river valley above New Hope is one of the prettiest and most dramatic in all the country so even on nature it really excels in my book. Think about it, it could be given the 100 mile radius truly the msot unique spot in the county, almost offers everything, and most of what it offers is among the best in the relative category. Maybe this is why love Philly so much, shhhh don't tell anyone
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM
 
9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Seattle should have made the cut!

I think it would be either Los Angeles or San Francisco for nature. They have quite a good deal of that all around them.

New York City for "urban" areas.
For those who love nature, Seattle has a lot to see within 100 miles...Mt. Rainier, North Cascades National Park, all the Snoqualmie Pass and Stevens Pass ski areas, Olympic National Park, the San Juan Islands, Hood Canal area, Port Townsend. And not to mention in just over 100 miles you can be either in Victoria or Vancouver, British Columbia.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,130,167 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Seattle should have made the cut!

I think it would be either Los Angeles or San Francisco for nature. They have quite a good deal of that all around them.

New York City for "urban" areas.
Sorry I WAS going to put Seattle in there but I forgot. It seems to have alot of urban and natural areas close to it.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top