Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
But now streeterville and river east has grown to connect fun navy pier and super name brand fashion Michigan ave magnificent mile to millenium park and the loop.
It would be nice if there was a subway line along Michigan Avenue and a EL station at Navy Pier with a line going west along Grand to connecting both Red and Brown lines. Millenium Park and Grant Park would finally have a station. There would also be a subway station on Michigan Avenue to transfer to the Southshore line. I know there are buses along these routes but I prefer trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:13 AM

Do you people in Philly know if your city could ever support a 100+ story building? Do you think the locals and the city be for it or against it? NY (ESB 102 stories) and Chicago (Willis 108 stories,JHC 100 stories) has them. Why not Philly? Height or story limitations?

Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Do you people in Philly know if your city could ever support a 100+ story building? Do you think the locals and the city be for it or against it? NY (ESB 102 stories) and Chicago (Willis 108 stories,JHC 100 stories) has them. Why not Philly? Height or story limitations?
Kind of like how Japanese car manufacturers had a "gentlemen's agreement" not to make cars with more than 276 horsepower, there was a long-standing "unwritten rule" that no building in Philly should exceed the height of the statue on top of City Hall. This agreement held until the mid-1980s and so there's some catching-up to do.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
I think it's less to do with what the locals think and more with what the economy would support. It would take quite a few tenants to fill that space. i don't see that demand anytime soon.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM

932 posts, read 1,944,059 times
Quote:
We had a supertall approved and ready to go, but was scrapped when they couldn't find an anchor tenant. The site was then bought by the same group that built the Comcast Center and Liberty Plaza. Rumors are, instead of a supertall, it's going to be a shorter version of the Comcast Center, likely to house some of Comcasts new acquisitions from NBC Universal.

American Commerce Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
We had a supertall approved and ready to go, but was scrapped when they couldn't find an anchor tenant. The site was then bought by the same group that built the Comcast Center and Liberty Plaza. Rumors are, instead of a supertall, it's going to be a shorter version of the Comcast Center, likely to house some of Comcasts new acquisitions from NBC Universal.

American Commerce Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This rumor is not true lol... IDK where this came from but it's just not true. My friends uncle works for LPT and they are claiming they are saving the lot for "something grand."

Old 12-06-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
This rumor is not true lol... IDK where this came from but it's just not true. My friends uncle works for LPT and they are claiming they are saving the lot for "something grand."
Wouldn't it be grand if Comcast relocated NBC headquarters to Philadelphia? I'd love to see Today with a backdrop Market Street every day.

Also, pictures of the now defunct ACC make me sad... It would have been a great addition to our skyline, and pulled eyes off the Comcast Brick.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:26 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Wouldn't it be grand if Comcast relocated NBC headquarters to Philadelphia? I'd love to see Today with a backdrop Market Street every day.

Also, pictures of the now defunct ACC make me sad... It would have been a great addition to our skyline, and pulled eyes off the Comcast Brick.

Wont happen

Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Wont happen
If it was simple, it would be mundane, rather than grand.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
This was the Supertall planned for Philadelphia. It was going to be 1,500 ft high.
Looks nice. Sort of resembles the shape of the Freedom Tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City