Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,967,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Wouldn't it be grand if Comcast relocated NBC headquarters to Philadelphia? I'd love to see Today with a backdrop Market Street every day.

Also, pictures of the now defunct ACC make me sad... It would have been a great addition to our skyline, and pulled eyes off the Comcast Brick.
CNN is also still headquartered in Atlanta now owned by parent company Time Warner based in NYC (Columbus Circle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 02:41 PM

630 posts, read 991,715 times
If you increase downtown Philly by 15, then you have a Chicago Loop.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 PM

432 posts, read 607,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
If you increase downtown Philly by 15, then you have a Chicago Loop.
If you increase San Jose's downtown by 7 times, you have university city.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:43 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,866,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Wouldn't it be grand if Comcast relocated NBC headquarters to Philadelphia? I'd love to see Today with a backdrop Market Street every day.
It would be awesome if they moved NBC Sports to the sports complex in South Philly someday.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM

148 posts, read 237,809 times
Default hmm what would be better?

thats a nice looking 1500ft glass building. i thought it would add very nicely to philly skyline as their tallest. but since its not meant to be or who knows, do you think it would be nicer to have maybe 3-4 50-60 story buildings all the same or similar in height to the comcast center? thoughts?

Old 12-10-2012, 02:36 PM

932 posts, read 1,938,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
thats a nice looking 1500ft glass building. i thought it would add very nicely to philly skyline as their tallest. but since its not meant to be or who knows, do you think it would be nicer to have maybe 3-4 50-60 story buildings all the same or similar in height to the comcast center? thoughts?
3-4 950-1000ft tall buildings will trump one 1500ft building any day in my book. I'd love to see several more buildings comparable in height to the Comcast Center or Liberty 1, as long as they are ascetically pleasing.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:43 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,644,366 times
I would love to see one building around the 1200 ft range... one around the 1000ft range and all the others can be 900 feet or shorter.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:44 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,777,891 times
Well the New W appears to be in the 740-790 ft range

Big news for Philly, in Chicago this would not stand out as much

Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM

148 posts, read 237,809 times
Default yes true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Agreed. A 770 ft building here would only place 14th or 15th on the tallest buildings list in chicago. (Spots 14-19 are buildings from 730ft to 784ft.) Below, this is a better photo of what i was trying to say in my above posts. Imagine Philly with a 1 sq mile area of nothing but high rise condos all at least 50 stories or 500 ft, of varying heights. Connect it with SEPTA not only just to center and university city but the rest of philly too so someone could live downtown and work anywhere they want. Im certain if this happenned it would grow downtown philly. Just like what originally happenned with NYC ( didnt have a choice - built on islands) - and chi-town when the chicago fire of 1871 reduced most of downtown to ashes. But then something happenned. The emerging food/tourism/nightlife clubs and dancing/theater and entertainment made living close to or in downtown the place to be. So streeterville/river east and river north real estate responded with dozens of new high rise condos.

But lets admit something real. Concentrated recreation or or entertainment thrives on customer traffic. An entertainment district without a close concentrated population with easy walkable access would be ill-advised to operate their buisnesses away from customers. Again real talk - when people party, they want food right away and don't wanna have to waste money on parking. They want to stay close and merry with their friends or dates, while they walk around establishment to establishment... Common sense right? And so the demand was answered. The old saying "if you build it they will come", is the truth.

Id like to dispell the myth downtown chicago is dead at night. They came to eat drink and be entertained. Easy to catch a theater show,a flick, play, a drink or go out on a date and take a walk. There is more than enough to see. This is Gibsons on Rush st. Part of river north nightlife entertainment district. - Theres more places up and down the st.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...inightlife.jpg

What seperates the biggest and best downtowns in USA besides building height and style of architecture is more than just a CBD and only a single cluster of office buildings. A city that best shows the work/play/shop/entertainment/higher learning typically has a central skyline supported or contributed to by other surrounding clusters and communities interweaving forming the fabric and energy that makes each city undeniably unique.

Sorry if my responses are huge. found this image somewhere on google. not my pic. you are looking east into lake michigan down Ontario st canyon, right through river north/streeterville. Expressway to the lower right is inbound ohio st entrance from inbound i-90 kennedy.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...r/IMAG0460.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 01-12-2013 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 12:53 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,381,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

isn't the W in Philly confirmed at ~580ft? or am I thinking of another tower?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City