Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Good point, Philly dt in scale pairs well with SF. Chicago downtown pairs well with Manhattan in terms of layout, size of blocks/buildings, though each of these places have more cozy neighborhoods. I personally prefer the monster DT's like NYC and Chicago then having the neighborhoods elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
to a certain extent this exists in every DT and Midtown has many area where they would not be as pronounced
Yes, it's obvious that Midtown has areas where this is not as pronounced. How does pointing out that "there are lots of boppers" equal "there are a majority of boppers all over?"

Old 12-13-2012, 11:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:

Compared to the much more imposing feel of this.

Midtown, New York, NY - Google Maps

Chicago, IL - Google Maps
While similar in style, Midtown feels a bit more vibrant by having more stores at street level and just a general chaotic feel:

Chicago has great views of skyscrapers just outside of the Loop, along the river or Millenlium Park, the skyscrapers actually feel scenic, something Manhattan doesn't offer even though I like its skyline better.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Chicago has great views of skyscrapers just outside of the Loop, along the river or Millenlium Park, the skyscrapers actually feel scenic, something Manhattan doesn't offer even though I like its skyline better.
You can't get that in Manhattan. There's always Jersey City though, which a lot of people are opting for these days. Closer to Manhattan than many parts of Brooklyn and Queens with much, much lower taxes.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:57 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Why would you count days and times that you know teenagers are unlikely to be there? There's this thing called "school" that generally gets in the way.

I never said a "majority." I used the word "scores," which is just as applicable to Midtown as it is to Chinatown DC or South Street. Teeny boppers do not constitute "the majority" of people in those latter places either. But there are enough of them where their presence is definitely noticeable whereas it isn't nearly as noticeable in other parts of the city.

That was an off-hand remark meant to refer to a younger crowd of people.

Who do you think is shopping at Charlotte Russe, Bebe, Forever 21, Claire's Boutique, Abercrombie, Urban Outfitter's, Old Navy, Gap and Juicy Couture? Then you have a huge movie theater, multiple Chipotle's, multiple Sbarro's, comic book stores, multiple Foot Lockers, plus the Dave and Buster's and tons of other garbage in Times Square. That is the perfect recipe for crowds of tweenies on the weekends.

You see boppers on St. Mark's Place, but the East and West Villages don't have the sheer number of tweeny attractions as Midtown.
Because I don't understand the point of counting only the times when teenagers are there rather than taking into account the neighborhood at all times. What kind of question is that?

And yea, there will be teenagers, but I rarely see them as a dominating force in the crowd. I said myself that there was going to be large numbers of them but they aren't going to be a large percentage so that points already clarified. The area around Times Square has some attractions, but that's such a small portion of Midtown that I don't know why that seems to be your overwhelming impression of the place. I'm not disagreeing with you just to be disagreeable. I think we are experiencing two very different midtowns, but that might be because rarely am I going within two blocks from Times Square.

Is there a like teenybopper aspect to Chicago though for the Chicagoans out there? Do you guys see the same thing?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-13-2012 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Because I don't understand the point of counting only the times when teenagers are there rather than taking into account the neighborhood at all times. What kind of question is that?
By that standard, there's no place in America that could be considered a teenage hangout. South Street? Nope...no teenagers there during work hours or 1am on a Thursday morning. Chinatown DC? Nope, no teens there at 2pm on Tuesday. Atlantic Station in Atlanta? Nope, no teens there during the Wednesday lunch break. Mall of America? Nope...because teenagers aren't even there for the majority of the time the mall is in operation during the week. Teenagers are limited (most teenagers) in the number of hours they can spend scarfing down pizza on South Street, so no, it doesn't make much sense to take into account a place at all times.

Quote:
And yea, there will be teenagers, but I rarely see them as a dominating force in the crowd.
When did I say that they were "a dominating force in the crowd?" I simply made an off-hand remark about a group of brace-faced teenagers in Midtown and you somehow twisted that into teenagers being "a dominating force in the crowd" and "a majority of the crowd in Midtown." When did I even come close to saying that? I said that there's a lot in Midtown that draws teeny boppers there...much more so than the art galleries, coffeehouses and various upscale restaurants serving bloody marys, peach bellinis and mimosas in NoLita.

Quote:
I said myself that there was going to be large numbers of them but they aren't going to be a large percentage so that points already clarified. The area around Times Square has some attractions, but that's such a small portion of Midtown that I don't know why that seems to be your overwhelming impression of the place. I'm not disagreeing with you just to be disagreeable. I think we are experiencing two very different midtowns, but that might be because rarely am I going within two blocks from Times Square.
You're trying to make it seem as if I'm painting all of Midtown as the lunchroom of Francis Lewis High School. I think many New Yorkers avoid Midtown like the Plague because of the teeny bopper/tourist element (let's keep in mind that this is soooooo far removed from the general point I was making). Lower Manhattan generally has more of a grown up, sophisticated vibe to it than Midtown which is almost universally abhorred by anyone who's been in the city for more than two days. Not even the WV and EV are comparable because that's mostly NYU and Cooper Union students. It's not that teeny boppers "predominate" Midtown, it's that some people don't want any chance of mixing with teenage girls making the rounds between H&M and Charlotte Russe, which you definitely will see there. You don't really get the Bieber Fever crowd meandering all along Bleecker, Broome and Prince.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 12-13-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
By that standard, there's no place in America that could be considered a teenage hangout. South Street? Nope...no teenagers there during work hours or 1am on a Thursday morning. Chinatown DC? Nope, no teens there at 2pm on Tuesday. Atlantic Station in Atlanta? Nope, no teens there during the Wednesday lunch break. Mall of America? Nope...because teenagers aren't even there for the majority of the time the mall is in operation during the week. Teenagers are limited (most teenagers) in the number of hours they can spend scarfing down pizza on South Street, so no, it doesn't make much sense to take into account a place at all times.

When did I say that they were "a dominating force in the crowd?" I simply made an off-hand remark about a group of brace-faced teenagers in Midtown and you somehow twisted that into teenagers being "a dominating force in the crowd" and "a majority of the crowd in Midtown." When did I even come close to saying that? I said that there's a lot in Midtown that draws teeny boppers there...much more so than the art galleries, coffeehouses and various upscale restaurants serving bloody marys, peach bellinis and mimosas in NoLita.

You're trying to make it seem as if I'm painting all of Midtown as the lunchroom of Francis Lewis High School. I think many New Yorkers avoid Midtown like the Plague because of the teeny bopper/tourist element (let's keep in mind that this is soooooo far removed from the general point I was making). Lower Manhattan generally has more of a grown up, sophisticated vibe to it than Midtown which is almost universally abhorred by anyone who's been in the city for more than two days. Not even the WV and EV are comparable because that's mostly NYU and Cooper Union students. It's not that teeny boppers "predominate" Midtown, it's that some people don't want any chance of mixing with teenage girls making the rounds between H&M and Charlotte Russe, which you definitely will see there. You don't really get the Bieber Fever crowd meandering all along Bleecker, Broome and Prince.
Yea, far removed from the point. It's tourists in a good lot of it, not teeny boppers in general except for small portions. Also, we're probably talking about two different midtowns. I'm including everything between the rivers from like 59th to 34th give or take a few blocks in either direction. There are going to be some streets that are teeny bopper hangouts, but to characterize Midtown in general to be like that sounds ridiculous to me. You have in your mind very specific parts of Midtown. I think that's fine, but inaccurate given how much of Midtown is nothing like that. Also, I think you're probably missing out on some pretty incredible things for someone who lives in NYC since Midtown has such a huge number of surprising/hidden/under the radar stuff that is hard to find anywhere else.

One example would be this awesome place to get things electrolytically gold-plated in a random office-building kind of place which also does a bunch of other great similar things, but also has a good Japanese curry place tucked away nearby and a good cheap Indian buffet just downstairs and around the corner is one of those random private-public partnership pocket parks with a waterfall to drown out the city and sunlight is somehow streaming through. There are a bunch of odd non-ground floor shops, restaurants, bars and services of random varieties. There are a huge number of institutes (not just the handful of huge ones that tourists frequent) that put on shows, workshops, exhibits, classes, etc. all year round that could be considered one-of-a-kind. Midtown can be great if you're a resident and you know what to do (or have someone who knows what to do) and only a small patch of it is like what you describe.

Downtown Chicago might have some of the characteristics above (neighborhoods that are mostly tourist-free and have businesses catering to either frequent commuters or residents). Someone in this forum probably lives in downtown Chicago so would be able shed light on that. I also wonder if the many alleys in Chicago are ever used in an interesting way. I remember reading this article about how Melbourne converted its alleys to become pedestrian-oriented and an "alley culture" sort of sprung up.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-14-2012 at 10:47 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yea, far removed from the point. It's tourists in a good lot of it, not teeny boppers in general except for small portions. Also, we're probably talking about two different midtowns. I'm including everything between the rivers from like 59th to 34th give or take a few blocks in either direction. There are going to be some streets that are teeny bopper hangouts, but to characterize Midtown in general to be like that sounds ridiculous to me. You have in your mind very specific parts of Midtown. I think that's fine, but inaccurate given how much of Midtown is nothing like that. Also, I think you're probably missing out on some pretty incredible things for someone who lives in NYC since Midtown has such a huge number of surprising/hidden/under the radar stuff that is hard to find anywhere else.
Again, post the language where you think I characterize Midtown in general to be like that. The fact is that you will see a lot of the Bieber Fever crowd around Midtown whereas you will hardly see it at all elsewhere.

From Yelp. A review on Tao, which is not in the Theater District.

Quote:
the only thing I didn't like...the dozens of teeny boppers all over the place. And really, If I have to put a dress and heels on, I don't wanna walk in to see a bunch of 13 year old girls in jeggings and Uggs. If I have to do it, SO SHOULD YOU!
These types of reviews are not hard to find.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Again, post the language where you think I characterize Midtown in general to be like that. The fact is that you will see a lot of the Bieber Fever crowd around Midtown whereas you will hardly see it at all elsewhere.

From Yelp. A review on Tao, which is not in the Theater District.

These types of reviews are not hard to find.
Tao is a famous scene restaurant. It also sucks. Don't go there. There are going to be specific places all around Manhattan that are frequented by tourist crowds, not just Midtown. Are there going to be a bunch of teenyboppers on the streets around TAO though?

Did you know on the western fringes of Midtown there's a health club with a full-size warmed indoor pool for swimming but sometimes scuba diving lessons, lots of neighborhood old geezers taking a dip, and a small alcove with fake palms. Afterwards, there's a nearby Berlin-style eatery. In neither of these places or the roads around it will you see tourists or teeny boppers. There's a lot of Midtown like that, so why go to the other annoying Midtown so often that teeny boppers is what you think of.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-14-2012 at 11:00 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 AM

148 posts, read 238,721 times
Default teeny boppers?

Yea they are all over the mag mile and 900 n michigan in the vertical mall. See em walking through the pedway to the blue line or making faces in the bean at millenium park. Yeah they are annoying but i was once that young. I see them visiting downtown art sculptures like the picasso in the Daley center or that white n black sculpture by the Thompson center. Its a given in the summer theyll be trying to do the slip n slide in the millenium park reflection pool. So i guess its ok for them to get out and appreciate the city, Afterall they are patronizing dt buisnesses with their parents money right? anyways - I see them alot off ontario usually going to one of the many themed restaurants there... rock n roll mcdonalds, hard rock and rainforest/planet hollywood. I even remember back in the mid 90s like 1994 when i saw Speed for the first time in theaters, it was downtown somewhere and i went with some of my friends to ed debevics. I loved their rude service. I remember that it made me laugh which was really good since i was awkward with braces that hurt! that day i had to order cheese fries since that was the only soft thing i could eat... lol

I think that resident teens should explore their city downtown sometime to gain a fuller richer appreciation of where they live. I have a very good memory. Even as a kid downtown was just HUGE. I went to Moody Bible School for kindergarten, and i remember thinking one day ill be able to go down here all by myself, while looking around at the city on field trips we took to the beach, the museum, and the local fire station too.

I know planet hasnt been there in awhile, but what im saying is teens nonetheless go find a place to eat downtown. Just this past week while getting a late night pizza at sarpinos seen a younger guy on his way out to make a pizza delivery. His teen buddy on a bike visited him on break between deliveries - gave him the high five happy his friend got a job finally.

Can you just imagine what an impact a massive dt like chicago has on a small impressionable childs mind? I love cars now, but i first loved trains. Oh as a kid how i played with my trains. I loved my H.O scale! LOL now im going to a technical institute to finish my drafting and CAD degree... im working on a finals project involving development of a light-duty people mover system similar to the one at ohare. Except for use downtown to connect more places together since the scale of development is in sq miles, and not the smaller human scale found on the east coast.

Its my hope that someday i can contribute something to downtown. I was thinking of a way to connect all the tourist destinations on the lakefront with dining shopping on michigan/ontario/state&lake/block37 and soldier field planetarium museum campus. It makes it easier for anybody even resident stay-cationers a way to hangout downtown without the hassle or fee to park, and find their own fave place to go downtown!

This thread has been rather informative. I even went downtown thursday morning to ride around the loop a few times to map out in my head where the new project people mover will interface with CTA and ground level riders. I was thinking the lake st thompson center would be great since its already connected to the underground pedway, Loop CTA. Again - more people going more places easier.

Oh and as for the public european style bathhouse, theres this place i keep remembering seeing while riding the blue line looking down onto milwaukee i think. Its some russian or turkish bathhouse. I don't even know if its open but i thought bathing or personal hygeine was a private thing to be performed by yourself? Maybe i just don't understand the concept of bathing with strangers...

Last edited by jpchi60630; 12-15-2012 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City