Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:18 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,496 times

Advertisements

it was 3 cops yes they went to pick up a guy that shouldn't have been out ,do you also remember the guy that had 26 felony arrests that killed that teacher in nobb hill he shouldn't have been out i saw alot of crime first hand,new mex also has the highest suicide rate among teenagers in the country do you remember the guy that had 25 dui's that crashed in berrnarillo and killed someone should he have been out ,what i'm saying is the laws in new mex have to be changed how long have you lived in abq

Old 10-21-2007, 03:15 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
Hmm, so did you reach a decsion ApartmentNomad
I've decided on Albuquerque, for now. Ideally, it would have been nice to spend time in several different cities in the Southwest, but I only have so much time and money. Albuquerque's climate appeals to me more than El Paso's and I think the cultural mix will probably be easier for me to adapt to. Also, despite El Paso's relatively good ranking on air quality, I am afraid it could become an issue again in the future, because of EP's close proximity to Juarez. As I understand it, Mexico tends to be much more lax than the US about pollution laws (not that the US is particularly progressive in that respect).

I'm not thrilled about the crime rate, but remember, I'm coming from Philadelphia, which is worse than Albuquerque for violent crime (and as bad for at least some varieties of property crime). It's not like I'm moving from a low-crime area to a high-crime one.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:05 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
it was 3 cops yes they went to pick up a guy that shouldn't have been out ,do you also remember the guy that had 26 felony arrests that killed that teacher in nobb hill he shouldn't have been out i saw alot of crime first hand,new mex also has the highest suicide rate among teenagers in the country do you remember the guy that had 25 dui's that crashed in berrnarillo and killed someone should he have been out ,what i'm saying is the laws in new mex have to be changed how long have you lived in abq

NO! It was 2 not 3, one which I knew and was a very nice guy. Both of the APD officers had already retired, and had returned to the force with the hire back program that APD has. There were 3 civilians which were also shot by the same suspect, who has been commited to the state mental institution for life. ( He was not sane enough to stand trial) As for the criminals that are out when they should be locked up, thats the Judges fault as they impose the penalty.
Can you elaborate on the crime you say you saw first hand?
I have lived in Albuquerque for 17 years.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-23-2007 at 08:52 AM..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:48 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
The crime in Albq. is not all that bad,its just that El Paso is not used to much crime.I've been a victim of crimes a few times in several different cities in New Mexico and have witnessed a few crimes but thats just the way it is, it could be worse,many more cities have lots more crime.I've been to El Paso a few times in the year and people just seem to keep to themselves,I didnt experience any rude people and there is something about El Paso that I kinda like,I just dont know what, but I will take Albq.any day over El Paso.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,606,496 times
it's just the way it is ,you have been a victim of crime and you say it's just the way it is no wonder there so much crime in nm 'as long as people have the attitude that it's just the way it is nothing changes you mean murder assults muggings are just the way it is last time i checked nm doesn't have 3 strikes and your out law yet ,and from the looks of it as long as people like you have the attitude that it' just the way it is nothing changes

Old 10-23-2007, 02:53 PM

811 posts, read 2,940,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
it's just the way it is ,you have been a victim of crime and you say it's just the way it is no wonder there so much crime in nm 'as long as people have the attitude that it's just the way it is nothing changes you mean murder assults muggings are just the way it is last time i checked nm doesn't have 3 strikes and your out law yet ,and from the looks of it as long as people like you have the attitude that it' just the way it is nothing changes
Are you talking about Albuquerque or New Mexico/ Because you keep refering to crime in New Mexico, which when compared to Texas, it is nothing!!
However if you are comparing the crime in Albuquerque to the crime in El Paso, then yes Albuquerque has more crime. Most booming cities have the same problem....look at Pheonix, Las Vegas & Tucson, which all have high crime rates.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:35 PM

710 posts, read 2,962,119 times
Trust me, most people in NM are NOT tolerant of crime. We do need stricter laws and we definitely need more police, if we can do that we can start to see our crime rate drop. I have said this before on many NM forums, the crime is concentrated in certain areas and people should not be afraid to consider living here. I by no means want to say trouble can't be found, but I have never encountered any problems myself.

That being said, I do hope our future leaders around the state can follow Texas's lead, more specifically El Paso to bring down our crime rates.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:05 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,026,883 times
All im saying is that crime is everywhere( Albq. more than El Paso) but there is nothing I can do about it,I mind my own business.Maybe the 3 strikes thing would be a good idea.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:22 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times
I'n my opinion New Mexico needs to execute these harden 1st degree murderers. John Hyde who shot those 5 people in ABQ should be on Death Row and not an Insane assylum. Way to go Texas in Executing these people when Forensics and DNA etc show beyond a shadow of a doubt that they commited 1st degree murder.

Some things i'm liberal and some things conservative and my conservatism comes out on crime issues along with a powerful Military.

Go Navy !!
Go El Paso !!
Go New Mexico !!

Old 10-23-2007, 04:48 PM

639 posts, read 1,043,584 times
The three strikes thing is a good idea as long as it's implemented the right way, for instance, one person has two convictions one for burglary and the other for attempted muder with a deadly weapon, then the person gets caught shoplifting a candy bar at a 7-11, and gets caned for the rest of it's life, No No, not for a petty crime yet it's three strikes your out, so maybe the catagory of the crime committed should fit the punishment, three bad crimes and your done gone for ever.

Everyone loves where they live or where their from or their adopted new city etc, well not everyone exactly, I'm from El Paso and I prefer El Paso over Albuquerque or anywhere else except Heaven maybe.

But I'll tell you that Albuquerque is an impressive city as far as what it has done to make itself so 21st century dynamic, I can say that I've wittness Albuquerque turn from nothing into something and I think it's really cool that both El Paso and Albuquerque are only 260 miles away from each other and 45 minutes by air.

El Paso as a city is the larger city but Albuquerque is the more advanced city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City