Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Miami.
San Diego - Americas Finest City 142 60.94%
Miami - Gateway to the Americas 91 39.06%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:29 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times

Advertisements

^ Yeah, I've been to a couple of states now where people don't know how to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:31 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
I would say the most arrogant/smug/annoying people you find in any one of CA's Big Three cities is most likely a transplant. My quick generalization on arrogant CA transplants:
SF= ooh I'm so worldly, sophisticated, and liberal now that I live in SF.
LA= I know so and so and am so cool and trendy.
SD = I live in "paradise" and where you're from sucks b/c it snows even though I grew up where it snows too.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:42 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I would say the most arrogant/smug/annoying people you find in any one of CA's Big Three cities is most likely a transplant. My quick generalization on arrogant CA transplants:
SD = I live in "paradise" and where you're from sucks b/c it snows even though I grew up where it snows too.
well this one is personal opinion. I was born, raised, and still live in San Diego for 19 years and it doesn't bother me when people say it's paradise because compared to many many other places in America, it really is. The crime is low, the city is cleaner than many cities it's size, the weather is great. It does have a very paradise feel to it. I hate cold and would hate living somewhere where it snows for 6 months a year, but I don't rub that in people's faces unless I'm trying to win a city battle on here lol but seriously, I think the transplants say anything they think will get them to fit in, ya know?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,379 times
Living in South Florida, after spending considerable time in San Diego, I think the socal city wins the definition of paradise hands down.

While the climate is not hot during the summer months, it is always comfortable in San Diego. Unlike Miami where you sweat your glands out during the brutal summers, I have never felt uncomfortable in San Diego.

Aside from the climate aspect, the aura and overall environment is San Diego just feels better. Although both cities have a definite Hispanic flavor, at least in San Diego there is just much more certainty that you are in the United States. In Miami the culture is so overwhelmingly Hispanic, that one must get out the Atlas to make sure you are still in the continental US---also dont lose your passport in Miami should you find out have left the country.

Having spent 26 years in South Florida I admit I am a little bit dispirited about Miami. There a lots of folks who love the city and its international flare. If you are young its easy to be excited about the neon lights and music blaring in the nightclubs of South Beach-after all Lebron wants to be there.
Its just at this stage of my life I found Miami to chaotic, impersonal, difficult to navigate, and almost impossible to communicate in.

I know I will here the imploding scud missiles fired by the boards Miami ardent supporters---fine as it is different strokes ect...

Old 07-21-2010, 10:48 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
Living in South Florida, after spending considerable time in San Diego, I think the socal city wins the definition of paradise hands down.

While the climate is not hot during the summer months, it is always comfortable in San Diego. Unlike Miami where you sweat your glands out during the brutal summers, I have never felt uncomfortable in San Diego.

Aside from the climate aspect, the aura and overall environment is San Diego just feels better. Although both cities have a definite Hispanic flavor, at least in San Diego there is just much more certainty that you are in the United States. In Miami the culture is so overwhelmingly Hispanic, that one must get out the Atlas to make sure you are still in the continental US---also dont lose your passport in Miami should you find out have left the country.

Having spent 26 years in South Florida I admit I am a little bit dispirited about Miami. There a lots of folks who love the city and its international flare. If you are young its easy to be excited about the neon lights and music blaring in the nightclubs of South Beach-after all Lebron wants to be there.
Its just at this stage of my life I found Miami to chaotic, impersonal, difficult to navigate, and almost impossible to communicate in.

I know I will here the imploding scud missiles fired by the boards Miami ardent supporters---fine as it is different strokes ect...
See thats a good post against Miami. You show why you dont like it but then you say that you can see why some peoole do like it. Miami is not for a lot of people I understand that, its too much for many to handle just like NYC is or LA. What I hate are the Miami haters that just say Miami is bad, its not diverse, its all latins running around shooting people in third world country atmosphere and its always hot. Those are the Miami haters they deserve to flamed. But that was a good post

Old 07-21-2010, 10:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post

Exactly! That's the point I was trying to make yesterday. One of the Miami posters seemed to just care about nightlife. With San Diego, it's fit for everyone of any age. There's lots of museums to see and theme parks for young kids and families. Nightlife and bars for young partier adults and golf courses and the like for older people. Tons of outdoor activities for everyone. Hiking, horseback riding, camping, and biking in the mountains. Lots of hiking and biking inland and along the coast. It's just a great town for everybody! That's what makes it paradise!

Old 07-22-2010, 12:01 PM

358 posts, read 754,666 times
How many times does poor Miami have to get beat down, so it's boosters will finally give up?

*Note to RussianIvanov - it's 2010, not the mid-90's when Gianni Versace was still alive. Miami nightlife isn't as great as you make it out to be.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:16 PM

242 posts, read 315,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
How many times does poor Miami have to get beat down, so it's boosters will finally give up?

*Note to RussianIvanov - it's 2010, not the mid-90's when Gianni Versace was still alive. Miami nightlife isn't as great as you make it out to be.
I've been trying to get it through to Miami's apologists for years that Miami will only really improve when people choose to un-bury their heads from the sand and acknowledge that many of Miami's problems are worse in Miami than most places, even though such problems may exist everywhere, but on a lesser scale. There is also the ridiculous notion that if you are not happy in Miami that there has to be something wrong with you (rather than just plain old not liking what Miami is and what it represents + the people).

Old 07-22-2010, 12:26 PM

358 posts, read 754,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your.Decision View Post
I've been trying to get it through to Miami's apologists for years that Miami will only really improve when people choose to un-bury their heads from the sand and acknowledge that many of Miami's problems are worse in Miami than most places, even though such problems may exist everywhere, but on a lesser scale. There is also the ridiculous notion that if you are not happy in Miami that there has to be something wrong with you (rather than just plain old not liking what Miami is and what it represents + the people).
Exactly. Taking a cab from the airport to your hotel in South Beach (which just might be the most overrated place ever , IMO) is one thing. To experience the real Miami you need to rent a car and drive around to see how rundown, dirty and dangerous the city really is.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:26 PM

389 posts, read 776,612 times
I oughtta agree with many other posters on this 1. If I had my pick, I'd have to go with San Diego. Overall, compared to Miami anyway, the people there are not as full of themselves. There's a lot to do for everyone, not just the crazy young kids who just turned 21 & are lookin' for a good time. It's more peaceful, the crime rate is way down, there's lot's of entertainment without being too loud & roudy, etc.

I think that Miami is hands down the bigger party city than San Diego, which makes it more of a paradise city to a lot of those 21 year old rough & rowdy kids who just wanna head to the nightclubs & get drunk. That's why they have a f*cking CSI Miami & not CSI San Diego. Most of the rape crimes & murders happen in Miami VS. San Diego.

I'll also say, though, that Miami does have more culture (whether that's a good thing or bad.) I agree with the comment that when you're in San Diego, @ least you know that you're still in America. It's easier tryin' to get through Ecuador than Miami sometimes.

Jessie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City