Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Diego vs Miami.
San Diego - Americas Finest City 142 60.94%
Miami - Gateway to the Americas 91 39.06%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 04:40 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,383 times

Advertisements

Here are some more reasons why I do not like So Cal : All the greater parts of So Cal are made up of white people, by the way, I do not have a problem with white people, but if you notice all the other people of other ethnic backgrounds get the leftovers of the city. The reason why I LOVE Miami is because you have people of different cultural backgrounds being successful and rich, and in So Cal places like Orange County, LA , La Jolla, and it's finer parts, you will only find people of white background living the true So Cal life, it lacks diversity in it's finer communities. To me it's like a white supremacy there, where white man rules all, and everybody else is just that, everybody else.. In South Florida, you want Diversity? You want people of all over the world doing big things? This is the place for you, in South Florida it is a big celebration of diversity and people all over the world. You have blacks, asians, hispanics, all doing big things, so much culture, nightlife, daylife, where as in CA the millionaires, living the good life are all white, and have the same attitude; stuck up, it's the opposite in Miami, and who cares about surfing? Or a Mountain? Id rather go boating, snorkeling . go to the bahamas on the weekend and be on a beach with white sand, clear blue water, and beautiful women from all over the world, also there is a bunch of cities in the surrouding communties. And better air quality, it's less congested, less sprawling, more energy, and the girls here actually eat, and they don't all look like plastic blow up dolls . And besides, CA as a whole is bankrupt and falling apart, and has ridiculous taxes, don't forget how overcrowded it is, and I'd rather deal with a hurricane which is well known in advance, than wait for something as scary as a huge earthquake to happen someday. No thanks I can go on and on, but you get the point

Last edited by mt971x; 09-09-2011 at 05:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 07:25 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
Here are some more reasons why I do not like So Cal : All the greater parts of So Cal are made up of white people, by the way, I do not have a problem with white people, but if you notice all the other people of other ethnic backgrounds get the leftovers of the city. The reason why I LOVE Miami is because you have people of different cultural backgrounds being successful and rich, and in So Cal places like Orange County, LA , La Jolla, and it's finer parts, you will only find people of white background living the true So Cal life, it lacks diversity in it's finer communities. To me it's like a white supremacy there, where white man rules all, and everybody else is just that, everybody else.. In South Florida, you want Diversity? You want people of all over the world doing big things? This is the place for you, in South Florida it is a big celebration of diversity and people all over the world. You have blacks, asians, hispanics, all doing big things, so much culture, nightlife, daylife, where as in CA the millionaires, living the good life are all white, and have the same attitude; stuck up, it's the opposite in Miami, and who cares about surfing? Or a Mountain? Id rather go boating, snorkeling . go to the bahamas on the weekend and be on a beach with white sand, clear blue water, and beautiful women from all over the world, also there is a bunch of cities in the surrouding communties. And better air quality, it's less congested, less sprawling, more energy, and the girls here actually eat, and they don't all look like plastic blow up dolls . And besides, CA as a whole is bankrupt and falling apart, and has ridiculous taxes, don't forget how overcrowded it is, and I'd rather deal with a hurricane which is well known in advance, than wait for something as scary as a huge earthquake to happen someday. No thanks I can go on and on, but you get the point
The plethora of ridiculous stereotypes in this post is outstanding. Also, judging by the statements in this post, Miami has or is "less" of everything of Southern California.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:

Old 09-10-2011, 02:19 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
What's pretty amazing is that you have NEVER even lived in SoCal or South Florida! How on earth would you know what either place is like as far as living? I don't get it, you keep ranting about SoCal and raving about South Florida but you haven't even spent much time at all in either place. Please explain where your reasoning comes from.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:15 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
Miami is, dare I say it... gross. In the hotel industry, they actually have a nickname for moldy smells... 'Miami'. The place is too hot, too humid and too superficial.

San Diego is the opposite. Their slogan says it all. The weather alone catapults SD to the winners circle.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:14 PM

430 posts, read 1,650,383 times
We just moved FROM San Diego back to CGables so I think I have a pretty unique perspective. I'll try and give you more points on SD as I think you're more familiar with Miami.

SD is quiet, nice ... honestly a very pleasant place.
Three cons to add/amend, much more expensive than Miami (add state income taxes at 8%) and the yearly fires are WAY worse than the threat of hurricanes. (Getting hit on the head by a hurricane is another matter of course.) Also, if you're on the coast, SD is actually kind of chilly and grey (fog, oh sorry, marine layer) much of the time. We lived without AC for 6 years! Could be good or bad depending on your POV (my wife HATED it).
Crime, traffic, about the same. SD has more rapes and car thefts, Miami more petty theft. Traffic a little worse in SD but Miami drivers definitely worse.

We greatly enjoyed our 6 years in SD, met some really nice people and LOVED being able to be in amazing places in 4-9 hours of driving (Yosemite, desert, Monterey). If I could afford it, we would spend 2 months in the summer in SD and 8 months in Miami.

BUT, SD has no spice ... no character. Once you do the zoo, Gaslamp, Del Mar, it's pretty much the same old thing. For us, it got boring.
We enjoy the craziness and character of Miami. Going out to eat at 10 pm to a full restaurant (in SD everything is done by 9), parties where people actually let loose and have a good time vs sipping wine and complaining about their kids, hearing languages other than English, little stuff. We've been to more than a few parties were they didn't even play music??

Diversity too ... my daughter was in a very nice school in the North County of SD, like 6 Asian families, no Black and just a few Hispanic families. Kind of creepy when you're used to NYC and Miami. We're Jewish, families actually forbid their kids to play with my daughter - WTF! A lot of head in the sand ignorance. Very provincial too, "we're not like THOSE people in LA" and "WE like it this way" are 2 phrases that drove me nuts. Who are "we" and "they" anyway?? And try speaking Portugues to your daughter in SD ... people looked at us like we had 2 heads when we spoke a little Spanish to our kids.

Personally we wanted our kids to grow with a bit more spice, diversity and culture than SD has to offer. If our families were on the West Coast, we probably would be living in LA (much more our style), but everyone is in SoFla or NY so moving back to Miami was great for us. Personally, in 20 years (of and on) living in SoFla I've NEVER experienced anything like your experience ANYTHING out of the ordinary or negative. My parents live there and I can assure you that my mother speaks 3 words of Spanish and gets by fine. I hear Spanish, French, Portugues and English everyday in CGables. If the English only/mostly thing bugs you then SoFla is NOT for you.

If you enjoy a nice, quiet, moderately interesting place where not much happens, you might love it in SD. A lot of people do. They proudly call it America's Biggest Small Town and it's a very good description. I'm not trying to be coy or cute, but honest. People really do love SD, not my wife and I. Few people HATE SD like some do in Miami, but the main complaints I had were the same for a lot of people we met.

I can see why some people love SD, just not us. SD and Miami are like 2 sides of the same coin -- both similar size, similar location, on the ocean/bay. But VERY different places from a lifestyle perspective. SD is "nicer," more "pleasant." Miami is more social, fun and just more interesting.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:24 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Miami is, dare I say it... gross. In the hotel industry, they actually have a nickname for moldy smells... 'Miami'. The place is too hot, too humid and too superficial.

San Diego is the opposite. Their slogan says it all. The weather alone catapults SD to the winners circle.
No it's not...

Old 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
We just moved FROM San Diego back to CGables so I think I have a pretty unique perspective.
Have you alway been a pathological liar? You live in Albuquerque and have never lived in San Diego.

Are you so caught up in your web of lies that you don't remember creating the thread below in the San Diego forum in June?

What is there to do on California Beaches?

And nice make believe family you have there, also. In the thread below you mention not having kids. You are nuts and should be banned from ever posting again......wow.

Santa Monica , CA vs La Jolla, CA which is better?

Old 09-11-2011, 02:43 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
No it's not...
I would agree. I might even argue it's the third city on the East Coast. Perhaps fourth after Philadelphia.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
Miami isn't hot and humid? News to me. Miami isn't superficial? Who's going to really make that claim with a straight face. Funny stuff. That joke about the hotel industry (they call moldy smells 'Miami')... that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
I would agree. I might even argue it's the third city on the East Coast. Perhaps fourth after Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City