Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: better economy in ten years:
L.A. 35 57.38%
Philly 26 42.62%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 02:21 PM

705 posts, read 1,661,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And just like in DC, the housing market in the Bay Area has come crashing down. Some teachers and electricians do make good money, but that doesn't mean they can afford a $500 or $600K house, especially with kids to support and car payments to make. A note on a $500K house is about $3500. That's insane. I would think the average family would struggle to make that type of mortgage payment.
Not that hard when you make 2 grand a week, drive a company truck. Take a look at the Bay Area housing market, I don't think its crashing , quite contrary. People are fighting tooth and nail to get into this market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
Not that hard when you make 2 grand a week, drive a company truck. Take a look at the Bay Area housing market, I don't think its crashing , quite contrary. People are fighting tooth and nail to get into this market.
Are you the only person in America who didn't hear about a massive international housing bubble that nearly brought an end to our financial system as we know it? There are lots of blogs and articles on the the Bay Area's bubble, ya know.

Bay Area Housing Bubble: January 2008

If you want to get into the Bay Area housing market, you'll need much more than your teeth and nails. Like a job at Google or Morrison & Foerster.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Are you the only person in America who didn't hear about a massive international housing bubble that nearly brought an end to our financial system as we know it? There are lots of blogs and articles on the the Bay Area's bubble, ya know.

If you want to get into the Bay Area housing market, you'll need much more than your teeth and nails. Like a job at Google or Morrison & Foerster.
Absolutely false, but your outdated blog entry really did a lot to enlighten us.
If your middle class, making a good salary living a home can be obtained just like anywhere else, is it going to be expensive as hell? Yes, but thats always been the case here. Have you had your feet on the ground here, looking for homes, do you know the real estate market, answer is a resounding no. After reading your thin statements about the market, that much is patently obvious.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Union journeymen top out at over 100k a year($50 hr), thats more than enough to support a mortgage on a 500k house.
Doing what exactly? Journeymen can be many things such as plumbers, electricians, pipefitters, ironworkers, millwrights, etc.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Union journeymen top out at over 100k a year($50 hr), thats more than enough to support a mortgage on a 500k house.
See, people who think like calisnuffy are partly responsible for the current economic plight of millions around the globe.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,455,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Doing what exactly? Journeymen can be many things such as plumbers, electricians, pipefitters, ironworkers, millwrights, etc.
Those professions can make some serious bank. A friend's father is a plumber and I'm pretty sure he rakes in around $200k a year.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Just an example of the top of my head, union sprinklerfitter is like 47.50 hr for a journeymen and a foreman is 51 I believe. Plus most of these trades get a lot of overtime, your money goes through the roof at that point.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Very true...many Philly students bail out to DC and NYC after graduating.
Many Philly students. bail out. to Dc and NY. Really?

Philadelphia Business Journal

So why should anyone be surprised that 85 percent of graduates originally from the Philly area stay in the area. They're part of the 64 percent of all graduateswho remain in the region. Even among those who aren't from here, having 29 percent stay doesn't seem like such a bad figure. People who go to school often go home afterwards.

City of Brotherly Love Named Best City For College Grads

Philadelphia named best city for new grads - Business - U.S. business - msnbc.com

by Jane Hodges
msnbc.com contributor

Joey Hyde, a 25-year old physics grad student at the University of Pennsylvania, likes living in downtown Philadelphia because he can get around without a car, make spontaneous plans with friends or his fiancée for a night on the town, and enjoy a great meal at his favorite upscale Cuban restaurant for half of what it would cost in Manhattan.

“Philadelphia is pretty livable for people my age,” says Hyde, a Florida native who moved to the city at 22 after completing his undergrad degree in Pittsburgh. “It’s a lifestyle like New York’s, but much more affordable. People here can bunk up together like in Brooklyn if they want, but real estate is a lot less expensive than in New York.”

Old 07-19-2010, 05:01 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:

Um I think ur confused. Before the market stalled, the median home price for the Bay Area hit a peak of $853,000

I hope ur not trying to say that $853,000 is healthy cause it aint. The market was very overheated.

The median fell as low as $399,000 in Feb 2009 and that was mainly due to foreclosures being such a big percentage of sales affecting the overall median.

Today the median home price has climbed back to $592,000 and counting.

Its much more plausible now than before the crash for first time buyers to finally get into the market.

And it sucked if someone rode the re-fi wave cause chances are now their homes are worth less.

But overall, the housing market has proven itself to be similar to the rest of the region's economy-very resilient.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Um I think ur confused. Before the market stalled, the median home price for the Bay Area hit a peak of $853,000

I hope ur not trying to say that $853,000 is healthy cause it aint. The market was very overheated.

The median fell as low as $399,000 in Feb 2009 and that was mainly due to foreclosures being such a big percentage of sales affecting the overall median.

Today the median home price has climbed back to $592,000 and counting.

Its much more plausible now than before the crash for first time buyers to finally get into the market.

And it sucked if someone rode the re-fi wave cause chances are now their homes are worth less.

But overall, the housing market has proven itself to be similar to the rest of the region's economy-very resilient.
I posted that link in response to calisnuffys claim that housing in the Bay Area was/is affordable for Bay Area residents across a broad range of occupations and classes. To me, it seems, if housing is affordable, then people would not default on their mortgages. Because many Bay Area residents defaulted on their mortgages, that means, to me anyway, that housing in the Bay Area was unaffordable.

Granted, $539K is better than $853K, but sheesh! That's a lot of money! That means that half of the TOTAL number of homes in the Bay Area cost more than that. What is the median income for a household of four there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City