U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-27-2010, 08:24 AM

1,228 posts, read 1,956,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
NYC and state FTW by far!
Not the whole state is rude! It's the city folks, and everyone downstate that gives us a bad name. I totally agree about NYC, but folks around where I was at see things in a different way that NYCers. Much more polite and caring of strangers.

In NYC everyone seemed so caught up in their own world. I swear I saw a lady get her purse stuck in a the escalator handle and wasn't strong enough to pull it out. No man would help her! Just passed her and looked away. I yanked it out for here.

IMO NYC and downstate give NY a very bad name.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:46 AM

5,643 posts, read 4,236,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Not the whole state is rude! It's the city folks, and everyone downstate that gives us a bad name. I totally agree about NYC, but folks around where I was at see things in a different way that NYCers. Much more polite and caring of strangers.

In NYC everyone seemed so caught up in their own world. I swear I saw a lady get her purse stuck in a the escalator handle and wasn't strong enough to pull it out. No man would help her! Just passed her and looked away. I yanked it out for here.

IMO NYC and downstate give NY a very bad name.

New York (!) named politest city - U.S. news - Life - msnbc.com

Old 07-27-2010, 12:24 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,881,557 times
nyc was the only u.s. city that was polled...

Old 07-27-2010, 12:32 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,132,356 times
Data City

Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 AM

2,263 posts, read 3,720,193 times
Everyone I have met from Minnesota seems to be very down to earth and enjoyable to be around. I've heard people from the Midwest in general are this way. Maybe I need to plan a road trip

Old 07-28-2010, 12:13 AM

7,413 posts, read 3,485,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Such an absurd thread!
We all know (or should) that all rude people live in France.All Americans are always nice, kind and courteous. Why, in America it's impossible to encounter rude people.
so true. What is it about the French that make them rude? I've heard however that the French Canadians in Quebec are very friendly.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM

449 posts, read 571,207 times
I will say one thing about NYC from what little experience I have.

People there do an amazing job at keeping things flowing smoothly given the amount of people. One thing I notice is that people accustom to being in crowds and densly populated areas tend to conform to the etiquette of that reality a lot better than others. People know to get out of the way, hold the door, stay out of people's space, don't hold up the line, etc.

People from more rural areas who don't know the etiquette often have issues with this. I am always amazed at how some people feel comfortable just walking right up into my personal space. One great example are the people who approach a sales counter and begin their transaction while I am counting my change and have not yet stepped away or put my change away. I often want to say "excuse me but WTF do you think you are doing!" After all, how do I know they aren't going to grab the money from my hand? Now to me, that is rude. When I am finished with my transaction and step away from the counter you may begin yours.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:51 PM
pll

928 posts, read 1,368,942 times
In San Diego and Seattle you will find the friendliest people.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 PM

11 posts, read 10,474 times
Everyone says New Yorkers are rude but they ain't so bad. If you really want rude, go to Chicago.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,343 times
I live in Hagerstown, Maryland, and find that while there are some lovely people here, there are quite a few really rude, awful people. Just today I saw an uncouth local letting his dogs run free through the cemetery!! Hagerstown is close to West Virginia and the people from there by and large, seem to be a lot better mannered and friendlier, even if just across our border. I went traveling in that state and didn't have a single unpleasant encounter. Maybe it's just that the grass is greener on the other side of the Potomac River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City