U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 PM

35 posts, read 118,848 times

Advertisements

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on STATES where one can still find people who, by and large, know what human civility is? Florida is already off the list since that is where I'm trying to move away from. I've lived 30+ years in the central part of the pennisula now. The bugs, oppressively long hot humid summers and hurricanes are all bad enough to have to deal with. But start adding rude, crass and insensitive people + the criminal element to the mix it just makes it harder to deal with the above mentioned.
Nowhere is perfect and I realize every state has it's pros and cons such as weather, terrain, flora, fauna and so forth - I know because I've been sweating that research for about three years now. But the people can really make or break one's tolerance for an area. I don't want to speculate on what makes people down here behave this way - I don't care anymore. All I do know is that it has been getting worse especially with the migration of South Floridians and Californians to our area in recent years.
I feel used up having tried to make Florida work. I want my kid to have quality of life and to see the better side of humanity if it still exists. Being in an area such as this for the past 30 years with the rude, greedy and fast paced lifestyles it can be hard to believe sometimes that better places are out there. Thank you in advance for any input you may have on this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2010, 09:14 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Try Iowa.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,595,546 times
^ That and Vermont.
I'd throw in Delaware in the mix too- There's just a lot of happy, care-free typed people there..

Old 07-18-2010, 09:49 PM

Thanks. Actually Iowa has been the focus of my most recent research. I was looking into Nebraska before that but seems like some of the cities and towns are having problems with illegals. We already have a major problem with that here especially in the town that I live in.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 AM

12,840 posts, read 23,194,240 times
The lesser populated parts of any of the western states.

What would you rather have? A polite illegal or a rude American?

Old 07-19-2010, 07:22 AM

217 posts, read 809,892 times
You can thank all the metropolitan NY'ers over the last 30 years putting their mark on Florida. That's probably where all the rudeness comes from. Florida is probably 30-40% ex tri-state folk (NYC/NJ/LI) I know many neighbors and family who have moved there from LI, and they were some of the most obnoxious people I have ever met. Plus all the greedy NYC moguls have second homes down there, so it doesn't help the influence.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM

4,037 posts, read 8,838,411 times
I moved to Oklahoma a few years ago, and have found the people here to be extremely kind, polite and friendly. Also, check out Arkansas. The people there are very nice. Texas, as well, especially in the smaller cities and towns. While you will still find lots of friendly Texans in the big cities, due to the large numbers of transplants from other regions, the largest cities are not a friendly as they once were.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The lesser populated parts of any of the western states.

What would you rather have? A polite illegal or a rude American?
I'd rather have neither. I'm not looking for utopia, just a place where people know how to behave themselves and that includes obeying the law!

Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 AM

8,259 posts, read 13,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed982 View Post
I'd rather have neither. I'm not looking for utopia, just a place where people know how to behave themselves and that includes obeying the law!
Such a place does not exist. You might consider buying a large farm in northern Yukon and living off the land.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
I moved to Oklahoma a few years ago, and have found the people here to be extremely kind, polite and friendly. Also, check out Arkansas. The people there are very nice. Texas, as well, especially in the smaller cities and towns. While you will still find lots of friendly Texans in the big cities, due to the large numbers of transplants from other regions, the largest cities are not a friendly as they once were.
Through my research over the past three years I've noticed that states that have large transplant or even transient popluations don't seem to be as friendly and have larger crime indexes. It seems that places with more homogeneous or stay put populations have the least problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or