Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:26 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times

Advertisements

Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 10:39 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Baltimore is the most down to earth!! We're overlooked by EVERYBODY.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:03 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Chicago and Philadelphia are probably the two that come closest to achieving a balance, but that's mainly due to two factors:

1. They're large enough to be destinations and attract a trendy crowd.

2. Their "second banana" status keeps each city's collective ego in check.

(Chicago plays second banana to New York and Los Angeles; Philadelphia plays second banana to New York and Washington DC.)
So wouldn't they both be 3rd banana then?

Old 07-21-2010, 07:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
So wouldn't they both be 3rd banana then?

Yes but a tastier banana

Old 07-21-2010, 07:44 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Most of the south, midwest, and inter-mountain west. I've only noticed a proliferation of snobby attitudes in the northeast, west coast, and around Chicago.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:22 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes but a tastier banana
Lmao....oh ok.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:58 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,267 times
Of all the major cities I've visited, I would honestly have to say Pittsburgh. People there were just down to earth and more courteous than I'd ever read/been told about cities in the Northeast.

Take my vote with a grain of salt, though, as I have only stepped on Pittsburgh soil four days of my entire life on two different trips. Also, I've only visited 10 states and DC, so I've not seen a lot of the world.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 AM

2,399 posts, read 4,216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
Of all the major cities I've visited, I would honestly have to say Pittsburgh. People there were just down to earth and more courteous than I'd ever read/been told about cities in the Northeast.

Take my vote with a grain of salt, though, as I have only stepped on Pittsburgh soil four days of my entire life on two different trips. Also, I've only visited 10 states and DC, so I've not seen a lot of the world.
I agree, Pittsburgh and Western PA, and Western NY to a lesser extent, seem to be the friendliest areas of the northeast, perhaps having to do with the nearby midwestern influence.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 AM

37 posts, read 132,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
AVLLVR...culture - the customs, beliefs, values, practices, and social norms of a group of people; including but not limited to religion, food, art, language, clothing, architecture, etc.
And a city is not a "group of people"? Does not language (i.e. a common accent, colloquialisms, etc.), common fashions, and architecture not create a common culture? Certainly, there are other powerful individual influences as well, but I think that these things do create an observable culture. Otherwise this entire website is pointless.

Quote:
I don't see where arrogance, humility, or any other individual characteristics are part of culture...you're just making generalizations about cities based on personal experience and not on "large numbers of residents". It's just one person's limited perception.
If culture cannot be observed, then how can it be said to exist. I do completely understand your point that my limited experience is just that, I always try to keep that in mind. And I also understand your hesitation to ascribe "arrogance" or "humility" to an entire city. I just believe that the pace of life, accepted norms (i.e. driving styles), and a multitude of other things mix within a city to give it a unique, complex, yet observable culture because it comes out in the way many people act - millions of individual actions that coincide to create a culture, even as individual citizens differ from each other. Since we learn from our environment, from the actions of other people, we tend to emulate them as we learn to operate as social creatures.

Quote:
But like I said, I don't care if you see it that way. Since you asked, I answered.
Um, ok. I never asked you to care what I thought. We simply disagree, which is fine. I was trying to carry on an intelligent conversation. My mistake. It won't happen again.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM

74 posts, read 233,135 times
Im born and raised on the Southside of Chicago, and people in Chicago treat eachother like ****, but we treat out of towners well. Its weird how we treat our own differently from how we treat visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City