U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 06:18 AM

5,922 posts, read 10,040,109 times

Advertisements

A Bosh-Wash megalopolis in the Northeastern USA seems to exist and it seems like one exists in the Pacific Northwest as well.

I feel like there is one that might exists in the Northwest.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 06:21 AM

10,171 posts, read 11,809,052 times
Only in the hearts of those that want it too.

I think it's a possibility, but for many on here, they would probably like to see "urban" communities connecting each one of them to each other.

For me, it's all go. It can very much exist such as long as they are in the same region and have cultural characteristics that draw in similarities. Which all three do. So yes, I would like to "believe" so.
I will leave the actual term to the "urban" and "density" riders to make their assessments. But in my honest opinion, there are many different characteristics that can make a megalopolis than just those two factors. But that's just my opinion. Lol.

A mega region in terms of culture: Yes
A mega region in terms of commuters: No

I still want to say yes my explanation is above ^.

Last edited by DANNYY; 07-20-2010 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Fixation of proper reasoning- thus avoiding less confusion to others on my terminology

Old 07-20-2010, 06:26 AM

5,530 posts, read 9,587,075 times
Sorry, but no. Too much distance between the three and not nearly enough population. That's nothing against Portland, Seattle and Vancouver -- but come on now -- they aren't Boston, NYC, Philly and D.C. You could make a greater argument for Cincinnati-Dayton-Columbus-Cleveland.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 AM

To Omshahi: "Only in the hearts of those that want it too."

Is that how you feel about the Bosh-Wash megalopolis?

Its ok if one didnt exist in the Northwest, but there really does seem to be one that exists.
Within 300-400 miles there is Vancouver, Bellingham, Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia, Vancouver, Portland, Salem, and Eugene with small gaps that can be found in the Bosh-Wash megalopolis too.

And the USA night light maps show Vancouver-Seattle-Portland to be almost as connected as the Bosh-Wash area.http://www.cybercityradio.com/images/49261main_usa_nightm.jpg (broken link)

And the Vancouver-Seattle-Portland-Eugene area is so interconnected in a lot of ways,and is enhanced because of its relative isolation from other regions outside this region.

west336:You cant back up your point with facts while I did.

And why are you mentioning Ohio cities in this thread out of all places?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 AM

21,881 posts, read 30,007,402 times
No, maybe a mega region but it lacks the continuity and population. Though may have many interactions it is not overlapping and continuously developed. Also the geography plays a larger role, the mountans are significantly more sustantial and thwart the development along the 400 line. There are multiple 50 to 75 mile stretches in the NE that double and triple the population and development of the whole 400 region discussed.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
"Only in the hearts of those that want it too."

And the Vancouver-Seattle-Portland area is so interconnected in a lot of ways,and is enhanced because of its relative isolation from other regions outside that region from other cities, and cities with a lot of similarities but distinctive cities too from each other
I already pointed that out, lol. The reason I said what you quoted me on saying was because neither Seattle nor Vancouver are on the border directly. Which complicates things a little bit more than Detroit-Windsor, Buffalo-Niagara, San Diego-Tijuana, & El Paso-Ciudad Juarez.

Anyways Natural, I just looked it up. They do have a megalopolis in the works. Cascadia.

But you know how this world goes, to those who adore BosWash, they won't ever see anything besides that, because to them, not having an urbanized community stretching from Seattle to Portland, or Seattle to Vancouver automatically does not qualify.

You know how people are Natural, you can expect that side of the argument.

From the way I see it, it would be hideous for a scenic stretch from Seattle to Portland to be full or urbanized communities, wouldn't that kind of ruin the natural scenery in between the two from road sight by a large margin?

Once again, it's just my opinion. I see them as a megalopolis already because different places develop in different ways that work out better for them, but most won't be too content with that idea or methodology when it comes to reasoning. You can only expect the other side of the argument.

And yes Natural, that is how I feel about BosWash too, I see it in the works, I cannot imagine people daily going from Washington DC to Boston, everyday for work. I see it as a megalopolis by culture and similarities more than anything else. The same way I see Cascadia a megalopolis by culture and similarities.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 AM

What is the difference between a mega region and a metropolis?

I think there is 8-10 million people in this region and a lot of continuity.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
What is the difference between a mega region and a metropolis?

I think there is 8-10 million people in this region and a lot of continuity.
I edited my last post, the last sentence has been added to your editing of your post and question to me.

And I think Mega Region is just another term for Megalopolis.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM

To Omshahi:

Interesting map. So there might be a Cascadia megapolis/megalopolis that exists.

I also had a feeling a Texas triangle mega region/megalopolis existed, a Florida region, Those Californian regions, and even the Front range mega region/megalopolis.

I had no idea an Arizona sun corridor existed! What a tacky name! It makes it sound like Arizona is the only place with sunshine.

I also didnt know a Piedmont Atlantic area existed as well as that Great Lakes region!

lol, Well I like things about the Bosh-Wash region but can see many things other than that and I only hope that 100% of the people that live there can be open-minded and enlightened enough to do the same.

Old 07-20-2010, 06:52 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,067,485 times
There are too many open areas between Seattle and Vancouver (WA) - Portland, IMO, but the lines are vague (except for the bridges) between Vancouver (WA) - Portland, and between Seattle and its northern towns and cities. I believe that eventually the I-5 corridor will become its own megalopolis, but we are not there, yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or