U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is more important?
Washington, DC 97 68.79%
Los Angeles 44 31.21%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,294 posts, read 2,600,520 times
Reputation: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
By the same token, the idea that L.A. is just Hollywood. Aerospace and, yes, the entertainment industries have indeed diminished, but L.A. has not withered away as predicted. Other industries strengthen or replace them, like manufacturing and international trade. L.A. is actually bigger. The economy and culture is diverse and always has been, with or without anyone's acknowledgment. This is a very close comparison, closer than some here may be inclined to admit, and has to go to abstractions to personally decide it. But Washington DC is very strong now on many metrics, and that's fantastic. Any success is the whole country's success, let's remember.
Exactly. People keep debating about what's more important, entertainment or politics? Who cares! These are two amazing cities that have a lot more to offer than those two things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2010, 04:53 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
1,771 posts, read 1,881,383 times
Reputation: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That "black guy in the White House" is arguably the most famous man in the world right now. ;-)
After June 25, 2009 Atleast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Live in VA, Work in MD, Play in DC
694 posts, read 1,488,853 times
Reputation: 237
How can anyone say entertainment is more important than government?

This is what's starting to become more and more apparent in the priorities of Americans.

When only 1 in 4 Americans can name more than one of their freedoms and rights guaranteed by the 1st Amendment it's already a worry.

Now, compare that to more than half of all Americans naming more than 2 Simpsons family members in the cartoon tv show.

Survey after survey show that Americans are generally ignorant on almost every subject except for entertainment. The national Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of America on average is the lowest of all developed nations.

You talk about the international community and international travelers? It's well known that many people globally think that the average American is lazy, uninformed and even "dumb and stupid". Stereotype or not, that's what they believe.

So how is entertainment more important than government?

Last edited by tenken627; 07-22-2010 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 2,389,575 times
Reputation: 1370
When talking about the importance of Los Angeles, please do not bring up Hollywood or the entertainment industry because that is something we could ALL live without. There has to be more to discuss about with that city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,180 posts, read 4,760,287 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
How can anyone say entertainment is more important than government?
I don't think a single person here has said that. You are twisting peoples words in a time when this thread was in a siesta (period of non-violence) only to reevaluate your stance and throw something out there where people will overlook all that is said before and concentrate only on your post. Nice scheme. But it's not happening today.

I have been saying for the past three pages, that Los Angeles is a larger port of entry, that is true. That Los Angeles is more appealing to international visitors. Myself and everyone else here (the minority few) who are actually supporting Los Angeles have NEVER said Entertainment Industry > Government.

Please reread the thread.

That the overall importance of Los Angeles comes from it's connections abroad to the people it affects by international immigration values and visitors. Washington DC does not affect every single last man on Earth, neither does Los Angeles but look at whats being said and how it's being said to evaluate how it's "more" connected than Washington DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
When talking about the importance of Los Angeles, please do not bring up Hollywood or the entertainment industry because that is something we could ALL live without. There has to be more to discuss about with that city.
No one has said that. People here know better than to say that.

The core of the argument has been port of entry (immigration). Port and trade regulations, Pacific Realm economic ties. Mega City city status, cosmopolitan status, world share economic activity. Culture and influence.

Not a single person here has said Hollywood. At all. Post number 96, you both can see how the core of our (people supporting Los Angeles) has been so far in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 2,389,575 times
Reputation: 1370
Actually I was just making a general comment, I wasn't referring to anyone's posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:42 AM
 
358 posts, read 386,535 times
Reputation: 265
LA is certainly well known, but I wouldn't call it important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM
 
Location: THE THRONE aka-New York City
3,012 posts, read 3,411,316 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
LA is certainly well known, but I wouldn't call it important.
La is the second biggest market in this country. It is important and more precious than DC. Theres NY,theres chicago and theres LA. Those are the top three most important city's in the united states. Most polls and studies will list LA ahead of DC and most of them(not all) were conducted outside the US.

Within the US, amongst its citizens, it is common knowledge that Ny is 1 and LA/CHI is two,mainly LA. Like many other things, it is only when you come into city-data do you here otherwise.

DC is generally seen as the fourth city. As it can defeat any other the city in the US just off the strength of politics but not the top three.

If the US had a choice between DC and LA....I think people would rather lose DC. I think the people will tell politicians and other company's they better get on a amtrak or something and stop in philly or boston, or even ny-set up shop there and keep it moving. Nobody is trying to lose the amount of revenue-population and international exposure+dollars that LA brings. The actual City(district of columbia) itself is not that important

And i forgot to add:
If DC is stronger than LA off of politics alone....... Than why not just go all the way and say that its more important than NYC,Chicago,London,Moscow,Paris.... You get me. If DC is more important because it controls the worlds strongest government. Than lets not stop at LA,forget LA your basically saying its the most important in the world. And we all know thats not the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 15,869,922 times
Reputation: 7261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post

Now, compare that to more than half of all Americans naming more than 2 Simpsons family members in the cartoon tv show.

Survey after survey show that Americans are generally ignorant on almost every subject except for entertainment. The national Intelligence Quotient (IQ) of America on average is the lowest of all developed nations.

So how is entertainment more important than government?
have you seen the clips of the people who can name all of the snow white's dwarfs but can't name more than one or two Supreme Court Justices.

Priorities, Priorities.

If the title of the topic had been which city appeals more to immigrants, or which is more of a home to new immigrants then LA wins hands down.

But saying LA is more important than the city that rules the world is really funny.

Does Houston having a larger port than NY make it more important than NY?

Because the airport in Atlanta is a greater port of entry than NY make it more important than NY?

Does Mexico City's mega city status make it more important than London?

Those are all things that make LA great, and together they give LA importance in its region, But DC is of world importance and power.

Any west coast city will rise if the ports in LA crash. People go where the jobs are, if the economics of LA goes down, another will rise.

I just don't see the US surviving all that well if our government system in DC was out of commission for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 PM
 
358 posts, read 386,535 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
La is the second biggest market in this country. It is important and more precious than DC. Theres NY,theres chicago and theres LA. Those are the top three most important city's in the united states. Most polls and studies will list LA ahead of DC and most of them(not all) were conducted outside the US.

Within the US, amongst its citizens, it is common knowledge that Ny is 1 and LA/CHI is two,mainly LA. Like many other things, it is only when you come into city-data do you here otherwise.

DC is generally seen as the fourth city. As it can defeat any other the city in the US just off the strength of politics but not the top three.

If the US had a choice between DC and LA....I think people would rather lose DC. I think the people will tell politicians and other company's they better get on a amtrak or something and stop in philly or boston, or even ny-set up shop there and keep it moving. Nobody is trying to lose the amount of revenue-population and international exposure+dollars that LA brings. The actual City(district of columbia) itself is not that important

And i forgot to add:
If DC is stronger than LA off of politics alone....... Than why not just go all the way and say that its more important than NYC,Chicago,London,Moscow,Paris.... You get me. If DC is more important because it controls the worlds strongest government. Than lets not stop at LA,forget LA your basically saying its the most important in the world. And we all know thats not the case
C'mon, you know that LA is only well-known, because of what people imagine it to be from TV and from it's sheer size. Let's say Hollywood and it's following decided to pack up and move somewhere else. What importance would LA have then? Exactly......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top