U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which is more important?
Washington, DC 97 68.79%
Los Angeles 44 31.21%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM

694 posts, read 1,514,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I don't think a single person here has said that.
While no one has named "entertainment" specifically, the cultural value and fame that L.A. (which you have pointed to in the OP) has is tied significantly to the entertainment industry. I don't see how anyone can deny that.

Quote:
You are twisting peoples words in a time when this thread was in a siesta (period of non-violence) only to reevaluate your stance and throw something out there where people will overlook all that is said before and concentrate only on your post. Nice scheme. But it's not happening today.
Twisting people's words? Re-evaluate my stance? Nice scheme? What are you talking about? I hardly visit this site anymore. I have no agenda, no machinations to manipulate the posters on city-data.com. It would have been just yet another post in yet another thread. Your comments perplexed me.

Siesta? Period of non-violence? Huh? Are you a maintainer of the interwebs peace? Are you a man of the city-data people, and that there are too many virtual smackdowns which needs to be toned down? I don't understand.

Quote:
I have been saying for the past three pages, that Los Angeles is a larger port of entry, that is true. That Los Angeles is more appealing to international visitors. Myself and everyone else here (the minority few) who are actually supporting Los Angeles have NEVER said Entertainment Industry > Government.

Please reread the thread.

That the overall importance of Los Angeles comes from it's connections abroad to the people it affects by international immigration values and visitors. Washington DC does not affect every single last man on Earth, neither does Los Angeles but look at whats being said and how it's being said to evaluate how it's "more" connected than Washington DC.
The problem is that most people feel that the government has little effect on people's day to day lives other than taxes and when they feel like they are getting "screwed".

People post that D.C. is full of inept and corrupt politicians, or that their policies and directions are misguided. Some, or many, of these preceptions may be true.

But, the largest impact that the government has in our daily lives is in the stuff that people expect and take for granted. The stuff that is good about the government. We're just so used to it always being this way that people don't think much about it daily until it's gone or endangered.

You say that Los Angeles is a large port of entry. That is affected by the government in D.C. including laws, customs, tariffs, sanctions, and even affected by the foreign relations that the U.S. has with other nations abroad. The same can be said with immigration. Visas? Green cards? Should the government allow just anyone enter the U.S. from anywhere?

You don't think about government when you eat your lunch everyday, but what if there were no regulations on the food industry? No subsidies to help protect farmers that provide lettuce for that sandwich of yours?

Could a butcher or store sell you a steak that you had for dinner from cattle with mad cow disease? That very well could happen without inspections required by the government. Pesticide in your salad? Happens in many other countries around the world.

The cars you drive? The house you live in? The electricity you use to power your homes and offices? The money you use? Even the freedoms that we have used to build our society the way it is? The government has a part in all of it. And with so much integration within the global community, and with America at the epicenter of it all, how can you say that even those small "trivial" things do not affect people internationally.

And yet people think that they are not affected by the government or will not acknowledge it, even though there is evidence of it in everything around us and everything we do.

Los Angeles may be a city that many more people prefer, that's fine. Like you say, it's also true that L.A. has a more lasting appeal to international and domestic travelers and immigrants. You seem like an intelligent person, but I can not understand how you can say that L.A. trumps D.C. in any way shape or form in regards to importance.

Last edited by tenken627; 07-22-2010 at 02:31 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM

805 posts, read 1,563,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
How can anyone say entertainment is more important than government?
It's between Beareaucracy and entertainment, and in our very superficial society more people pay attention to entertainmet.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:38 PM

389 posts, read 356,539 times
WO now ...

I'll just answer this question, then step back from the drama before it blows.

Washington DC is way more important than Los Angeles. It's the capital of the country, it's where the Whitehouse is located, it's where all the presidential people & documents are, it's the city that runs the country, etc etc etc. I can hardly believe that this is such a hard bone to pick.

Los Angeles is where a lot of celebreties live, where Hollywood is, bla bla bla. We'd be able to live without LA, not DC. Entertainment is never more important than government, I don't give a damn about (& quite frankly can't stand) our superficial society. They can go to hell (sorry.)

Thank you, go on with the catfight. haha, hisssssss!!!

Jessie

Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM

10,001 posts, read 8,500,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
And i forgot to add:
If DC is stronger than LA off of politics alone....... Than why not just go all the way and say that its more important than NYC,Chicago,London,Moscow,Paris.... You get me. If DC is more important because it controls the worlds strongest government. Than lets not stop at LA,forget LA your basically saying its the most important in the world. And we all know thats not the case
That's a good point. DC is such an oddball and unique city in this regard. There should be a thread discussing this.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:37 PM

139 posts, read 109,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
WO now ...

I'll just answer this question, then step back from the drama before it blows.

Washington DC is way more important than Los Angeles. It's the capital of the country, it's where the Whitehouse is located, it's where all the presidential people & documents are, it's the city that runs the country, etc etc etc. I can hardly believe that this is such a hard bone to pick.

Los Angeles is where a lot of celebreties live, where Hollywood is, bla bla bla. We'd be able to live without LA, not DC. Entertainment is never more important than government, I don't give a damn about (& quite frankly can't stand) our superficial society. They can go to hell (sorry.)

Thank you, go on with the catfight. haha, hisssssss!!!

Jessie
Awesome post! And so true.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM

1,174 posts, read 922,666 times
DC is a lot more important that LA. DC is the nations capital and i think that usually the nations capital is the most important city.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Thank you. We need DC.

& as someone else posted above, since DC is more important than LA that means that it's more important than anything in the world. Well that's freakin stupid. haha, I'm really sorry for this Honey, but we're talkin' about the United states, not Russia.

No, I don't think that DC is more important than Tokyo or Moscow. I only said that it's more important than LA, which it is whether or not you wanna admit it. I do, however, agree with the comment that says that DC is more important than anything in America, including NYC. This is where I may get some backlash. Yes indeed DC is much more important than New York City. NYC is the home of fassion, Washington DC is home of the president. Which sounds more important to you? The Whitehouse or the Model's Runway?

So no, I don't agree with the OP on this 1. I don't agree when he says that we can all agree that New York city is the most important city in the country. I for 1 think New York or no New York, we're still America. If we're that dependent on New York, & if we think that the entire country lies in its hand, then why ain't New York city the capital? Because there'd be no room for the ---damn Top Models of America!

OK, I just pissed a lot more people off. Let 'em buck! hahahaha, I am on a roll today, hmm?

Jessie

Old 07-22-2010, 05:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,283,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That's a good point. DC is such an oddball and unique city in this regard. There should be a thread discussing this.
Agree-- I've referenced D.C.'s "unique" situation several times (and apparently not well). It's an outlier; difficult to compare to other cities on an apples to apples basis because of its position as the capital of the US. It was bequeathed the role and therefore was simply "given" importance. It's accurate to make both of the following statements based on the criteria you use...

DC is the most important city in the world. and it's arguably the 5th or 6th most important city in its own country.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 PM

3,012 posts, read 3,507,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
La is the second biggest market in this country. It is important and more precious than DC. Theres NY,theres chicago and theres LA. Those are the top three most important city's in the united states. Most polls and studies will list LA ahead of DC and most of them(not all) were conducted outside the US.

Within the US, amongst its citizens, it is common knowledge that Ny is 1 and LA/CHI is two,mainly LA. Like many other things, it is only when you come into city-data do you here otherwise.

DC is generally seen as the fourth city. As it can defeat any other the city in the US just off the strength of politics but not the top three.

If the US had a choice between DC and LA....I think people would rather lose DC. I think the people will tell politicians and other company's they better get on a amtrak or something and stop in philly or boston, or even ny-set up shop there and keep it moving. Nobody is trying to lose the amount of revenue-population and international exposure+dollars that LA brings. The actual City(district of columbia) itself is not that important

And i forgot to add:
If DC is stronger than LA off of politics alone....... Than why not just go all the way and say that its more important than NYC,Chicago,London,Moscow,Paris.... You get me. If DC is more important because it controls the worlds strongest government. Than lets not stop at LA,forget LA your basically saying its the most important in the world. And we all know thats not the case
If i can quote myself for a moment. This is what i said.^

And your assumption that new york only has fashion is ridiculous. NYC is the greatest city in the world. DC is not even close. New york could easily,smoothly transition as the nations capitol. In many ways it should be, it once was. But thats not how this works, politics of that level would make ny too too powerful.

We need a city like DC to host our politics thats its purpose. DC is not one of americas super city's, LA IS.

And also how can DC not be more powerful than Tokyo, but be more powerful than NY. When NY is more powerful than Tokyo

Last edited by K.O.N.Y; 07-22-2010 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Default To K.O.N.Y

Oh. Well allow me to retort.

New York is 2nd, DC is 1st. LA can be cut off like a piece of a cookie for all I care. Comparing DC to LA is rediculous. & if you wanna think that DC beats the rest of 'em, good for you. I agree. New York has a lot of big buildings, skyscrapers, models, media, & overrated dreams that they force on everyone else (not just in the country now) to get 'em to move there. So yes, Dear, as for supercities, NYC is #1. But as for most important to the country, DC is #1. DC is where the house of the United States of America is located.

Nothing further.

Jessie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City