Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Kansas City and St Louis vs Charlotte and Raleigh
Kansas City / St. Louis 75 59.06%
Charlotte / Raleigh 52 40.94%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:15 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
All you have to do spend ten minutes and google and it's evident that Charlotte is in a massive economic freefall that's been going on for some time. The stats are off the charts bad.
You're exaggerating just a bit here. Did the recession hit us especially hard? Absolutely; being the 2nd largest banking center in the country, it was destined to happen. It will take a little while for the unemployment rate to come down, but in the past year or so, we've had a slew of economic development announcements that will help with that and that will also help us to further diversify our local economy. It's still worth noting that we still had a net gain of jobs over the past decade of about 9K.

Even so, Raleigh can take up our slack when pitted against STL and KCMO and the NC metros would still come out on top.

Quote:
I spent a weekend in Charlotte and Raleigh very recently trying very hard to give Charlotte another chance to impress me and had a very difficult time just staying busy for a day. There is not much to do.
What all did you do? Did you plan your weekend here or did you just wander around trying to find something to do? Did you just confine yourself to Uptown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
charlotte is a small town. i attended a conference there several months ago for work and was asked by two separate people what church i went to. this was not a religious conference, and i'm not even christian. it was a weird southern question to ask a complete stranger. charlotte did not leave me with any kind of "big city" feeling whatsoever. a very strange suburban place.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
charlotte is a small town.
A city of 700K and a metro area of 1.7 million is not a "small town." To suggest such just because you were asked about church is ludicrous.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:09 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
A city of 700K and a metro area of 1.7 million is not a "small town." To suggest such just because you were asked about church is ludicrous.
If that is the case than St. Louis is the same way since that question is brought up often as well.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:11 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
If I'm correct, given Charlottes 11% unemployment, it still created more jobs than KC and STL. Also worth noting, Wells Fargo bought Wachovia, which was a very controversial decision and has some folks raising eyebrows, which means mergers also lead to umemployment due to eliminating redundant positions. The 16 county "region" is not the official MSA of Charlotte and included severely hit SC county Chester which is close to 15% if I'm correct. It also includes Catawba county which was a furniture producer. That has been hit due to trade agreements.

There is more to the unemployment levels in Charlotte than what you "google." However, if that makes "you" feel better...

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
If that is the case than St. Louis is the same way since that question is brought up often as well.
not really. i was in charlotte for two nights, i've been in st. louis for almost two years. i have never been asked the church question in st. louis. i was asked by two different people at two different places in charlotte. just really weird. in st. louis they ask where i went to high school, but that's less backwards than what church i go to. charlotte feels like a suburban city vs. st. louis, which feels like a major city in the classic sense. i am a native philadelphian, for whatever that's worth.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
Quote:
not really. i was in charlotte for two nights, i've been in st. louis for almost two years. i have never been asked the church question in st. louis. i was asked by two different people at two different places in charlotte. just really weird. in st. louis they ask where i went to high school, but that's less backwards than what church i go to. charlotte feels like a suburban city vs. st. louis, which feels like a major city in the classic sense. i am a native philadelphian, for whatever that's worth.
The high school question can be more backwards depending on how its done. It often is a way of determining religion along with things like social class and income. Also St. Louis outside its urban core area is very suburban in a number of locations. Though any of those questions in St. Louis are often done by people over 40 or in a joking matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
If I'm correct, given Charlottes 11% unemployment, it still created more jobs than KC and STL. Also worth noting, Wells Fargo bought Wachovia, which was a very controversial decision and has some folks raising eyebrows, which means mergers also lead to umemployment due to eliminating redundant positions. The 16 county "region" is not the official MSA of Charlotte and included severely hit SC county Chester which is close to 15% if I'm correct. It also includes Catawba county which was a furniture producer. That has been hit due to trade agreements.

There is more to the unemployment levels in Charlotte than what you "google." However, if that makes "you" feel better...
Well more jobs have to be created if more workforce aged people arrive. St. Louis is at the point where due to having an older average population is going to start having a shrinking workforce-age population with more people retiring than entering the workforce. This will create worker shortages in a number of job categories over time.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
in st. louis they ask where i went to high school, but that's less backwards than what church i go to.
How so? If anything, I find the opposite to be true. If you're being asked what high school you went to, then it's automatically assumed that you're a local. That would be characteristic of a place that's not experiencing much growth at all and sounds rather provincial.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:11 PM

automatically assuming one is christian is inherently more southern and country and backwards than assuming someone is local. i'm sorry, charlotte just didn't do it for me.

Old 07-24-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
automatically assuming one is christian is inherently more southern and country and backwards than assuming someone is local.
It's a pretty good assumption in a state that's overwhelmingly Christian, but I suppose what this is really about is some sort of feigned righteous indignation on your part since you're not Christian.

Quote:
i'm sorry, charlotte just didn't do it for me.
And that's fine. But don't attribute that to being asked what church you go to. It was nothing more than a simple question. You act like someone asked you, "So when did you stop beating your wife?" Oh but I guess that would be backwards and country too, because it would assume you're heterosexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City