U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-22-2010, 03:00 PM

4,810 posts, read 4,886,413 times
Default Seattle vs. Atlanta vs. Austin vs. Charlotte

I like things about all 4 of these cities!
In some ways all of these cities seem kind of similar. They are mid sized metros. They seemed to develop rapidly in the past few decades but always showed signs in their history that they were going to develop rapidly eventually and have something notable about them. They were regional pioneers in their regions with their city culture, economies. (Seattle:Pacific Northwest Atlanta/Austin/Charlotte: South. )
They are discussed a lot nationally but in other ways dont seem as discussed about nationally and internationally as other places in the USA.

How would you rank these 4 cities based on the factors I typed below?

People:
Arts and Culture:
Education:
Job Prospects:
Scenery:
Nightlife:
Density:
Transit:
Parks:
Weather:
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM

180 posts, read 190,304 times
People: 1-Seattle, 2-Atlanta, 3-Austin, 4-Charlotte
Arts and Culture: 1-Seattle, 2-Atlanta, 3-Austin, 4-Charlotte
Education: 1-Atlanta, 2-Austin, 3-Seattle, 4-Charlotte
Job Prospects: 1-Seattle, 2-Atlanta, 3-Austin, 4-Charlotte
Scenery: 1-Seattle, 2-Charlotte, 3-Atlanta, 4-Austin
Nightlife: 1-Atlanta, 2-Seattle, 3-Austin, 4-Charlotte
Density: 1-Seattle, 2-Atlanta, 3-Austin, 4-Charlotte
Transit: 1-Seattle, 2-Atlanta, 3-Austin, 4-Charlotte
Parks: IDK
Weather: 1-Atlanta, 2-Charlotte, 3-Austin, 4-Seattle

Seattle = 1+1+2+1+1+2+1+1+4=15
Atlanta = 2+2+1+2+3+1+2+2+1=16
Austin = 3+3+2+3+4+3+3+3+3=27
Charlotte = 4+4+4+4+2+4+4+4+2=32

So I'd say #1=Seattle, #2=Atlanta, #3=Austin, #4=Charlotte.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM

19,034 posts, read 15,782,616 times
Atlanta - Seattle - Austin - Charlotte

Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM

1,174 posts, read 896,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Atlanta - Seattle - Austin - Charlotte
Exact same list as me. Agree very much.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:26 PM

472 posts, read 422,096 times
Seattle Atlanta Austin and then Charlotte for me too

Old 07-22-2010, 03:38 PM

To giantsfan: Thanks for the input! I agree with a lot of your ranks except for a few.

This is how I rank them for myself:

People:Seattle, Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta (Obviously there are great people, lame people, and people in between from all 4 of these cities!)
Arts and Culture: Seattle, Atlanta, Austin Charlotte
Education: In some ways Seattle, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Austin and in other ways Atlanta, Charlotte, Seattle, Austin.
Job Prospects: In some ways tied with all 4 and in other ways Seattle, Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin.
Scenery: Seattle, Austin, Charlotte, Atlanta
Nightlife: Im not sure but probably Seattle/Atlanta tied, Austin, Charlotte
Density: Seattle, Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte. However, all of them have great skylines. Austin's and Charlotte's is developing rapidly.
Transit: Seattle(Despite only having buses for the most part), Atlanta, Charlotte, Austin
Parks: Seattle, Austin, Atlanta, Charlotte.
Weather: I would say tied. Depends on someones personal preferences.

To kidphilly and Jocofrak: How would you rank those 4 cities based on those factors?

However, I hope people continue to post in this thread and post their opinions about things like People, culture, etc. in all 4 of these cities.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:54 PM

Transportation: I would Put Atlanta for transportation Only subway system out of the four.

Education: would be Atlanta and Austin. Atlanta for me because there are more Institutions for Higher Education.

The reast seems about right too me

Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 PM

For education I said

"In some ways Seattle, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Austin and in other ways Atlanta, Charlotte, Seattle, Austin. "

I ranked it like that because the other three cities have more institutions for higher education than Seattle, like you said, BUT Seattle has a school that seems to be more highly rated/as highly rated as the schools in those three cities.

Seattle also has a higher percentage of people with college degrees than the other three cities and rated "One of the most educated cities in the USA." However, those other three cities also have a lot of educated people.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:06 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,765,525 times
Overall I would say Seattle, then ATL, then Charlotte, then Austin

Seattle: People, Arts and Culture, Scenery
Atlanta: education, Nightlife

Old 07-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
For education I said

"In some ways Seattle, Charlotte, Atlanta, and Austin and in other ways Atlanta, Charlotte, Seattle, Austin. "

I ranked it like that because the other three cities have more institutions for higher education than Seattle, like you said, BUT Seattle has a school that seems to be more highly rated/as highly rated as the schools in those three cities.

Seattle also has a higher percentage of people with college degrees than the other three cities and rated "One of the most educated cities in the USA." However, those other three cities also have a lot of educated people.
Atlanta has always been ranked as having a very educated workforce in The Atlanta area is in close percentage too Boston.. This is kinda old but gives you some kinda idea. Plus Atlanta was ranked fourth for best places for college students

Young and Restless Press Release (http://metroatlantachamber.com/content/Article.aspx?Id=125&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City