Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 AM

468 posts, read 789,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
This is an interesting point. I noticed this much more in Atlanta than I do here in the District. Again, I think education makes a major difference.

DC's black aristocracy is extremely well-educated. There are a number of black federal judges here, black Assistant U.S. Attorneys, black law firm partners, black diplomats, and so on and so forth. These people are more likely to live around their peers in places like Bethesda or Upper Northwest than they are in predominantly black Prince George's County. Eric Holder, for example, still lives in Bethesda. Susan Rice, a Rhodes Scholar who grew up in Upper Northwest and attended National Cathedral, certainly does not live in a predominantly black neighborhood. See, DC has its established rich and its noveau riche. The latter lives in PG County, and any self-respecting Washingtonians would not dare live around these newcomers.

Atlanta has this dynamic as well, but it is not as extreme as it is in DC. For example, the Bronner Brothers are well-regarded in Atlanta society, but they'd probably be looked down upon by black Washington society because they don't have degrees from Princeton, Ph.Ds from Oxford, and don't own a home in the Vineyard. Atlanta's not on DC's level when it comes to that sort of thing. It's more of a "I made a lot of money in construction and real estate" or "I make a lot of money in the entertainment business" or "I have a really good job at Coca-Cola" type of town. In my opinion, these people are more likely to live around all black people than the Eric Holder types with Ivy League credentials from floor to ceiling. There aren't too many black families living in Ansley Park or Druid Hills, I'm afraid.

To be sure, DC has its uber-wealthy black neighborhoods. But even the "Gold Coast" off of 16th Street has a lot of white residents. I don't think I've ever seen a white person in Collier Hills or Cascade.

These are horrible perceptions that you have of Atlanta black educated population.. but hey its your perception and your perception only.. I cant argue with you but you putting out horrible stereotypes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
you have been saying that forever but it means nothing. these photos are a dime a dozen in almost any city in the US. yeah people need to eat, yeah black people too.
It means a lot because wealthier black people are more likely to live in white neighborhoods than poorer black people. In a city like Washington, DC where you have tons of bourgie, Ivy League-educated, trust fund endowed buppies, you will see far more black-white mixing than you will in Atlanta or Houston, where there are far far fewer bourgie, Ivy-League-edcuated, trust fund endowed buppies.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
It means a lot because wealthier black people are more likely to live in white neighborhoods than poorer black people. In a city like Washington, DC where you have tons of bourgie, Ivy League-educated, trust fund endowed buppies, you will see far more black-white mixing than you will in Atlanta or Houston, where there are far far fewer bourgie, Ivy-League-edcuated, trust fund endowed buppies.
you've got things twisted bro. The wealthier blacks are not wanting to live with whites, they are in the majority. What happens in DC is the whites are leaving with the wealthier blacks. Not by choice tho

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
DC is pretty segregated.
Houston FTW.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
DC is pretty segregated.
Houston FTW.
Shhh don't egg him on he will post pics of white people getting into cabs driven by Ethiopians

Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:

What ever you say sir. Ill just be reminded of that when I go to my friends house in Buckhead who is black who also has Ivy league education .. And when I look at all his nieghbors I guess ill be reminded that he isnt living around different types of people... This whole USA is segragated by race and class.. And DC has a huge share of that also

Old 07-23-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Shhh don't egg him on he will post pics of white people getting into cabs driven by Ethiopians

Thats my last post.. I think he is enjoying this thread Lets see how far he is going to shove more mess down our throats...

Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Is it really worthwhile to compare a city that is 60% Black (D.C.) to one that is 25% or less (Houston)?
Better off comparing it to somewhere like Atlanta or New Orleans.
It might not make the most level comparison, but I chose the cities because I am intimately familiar with one (DC), and have been looking into the possibility of relocating to the other after graduation (Houston).

Quote:
And blacks living in Prince George's County are not earning incomes similar to what whites are earning in Bethesda and Potomac. Although many blacks tend to self-segregate, many of them could not live in Bethesda even if they wanted to because it's unaffordable. A house in Bethesda would probably costs twice as much as a house in Bowie. If anything, blacks in P.G. County are more on par with whites in Loudon and Prince William County, but even they are outearning them.
Point taken about PG and Bethesda, but in my experiences, there's still a significant bit of self-segregation amongst people of similar socioeconomic standing.

For a few years, I attended a pricey, fairly elite private school in DC. Naturally, the student body was predominately white, but not surprisingly there were a few other black kids. Given the environment, the vast majority of students came from high-income, highly educated families. But even in this setting with black and white kids of at least similar financial means, there were more black kids coming from DC east of the park or from PG then there were from west DC, western MoCo or even NoVA. Now that I think of it, there might have been just as many black students coming from SE as there were from bethesda/Potomac. At the time, I was living in NW off of Nebraska avenue; I had a few black peers who I'm pretty sure had no less money than we did, but for the most part still lived east of the park.

This is certainly not to say "all the white people live here, and all the black people live here", but the trend does seem to me that people feel obligated to stay on certain sides of a given meridian based on their race.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Thats my last post.. I think he is enjoying this thread Lets see how far he is going to shove more mess down our throats...
well we should probably shut up anyway, because we are in Texas where there are no schools, so we must obviously be poor folks living in shacks thinking we are real people typing on our imaginary computers and imagining our neighbours are of different races. Poor us, we would have known better if our schools like Rice, Baylor, UT, A&M, SMU were not so crappy. The nerve of us thinking we are people!

Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Johnbiggs,

To answer your question, if you move to Houston, you should expect to find less interaction between blacks and whites, not more of it. DC is segregated, but I have never been to a city that was not. It's pretty much an "all the white people live here, and all the black people live here" type of thing everywhere. I have yet to discover a magical place where there are several neighborhoods that are 40% white, 40% black, and 20% other. It just doesn't exist. Of all the cities I've lived in (Philadelphia, Atlanta, Boston, DC, NYC, London, Paris), I'd have to say it's a toss up between NYC and London (in terms of black-white interaction) and then DC comes in third. Sorry to say, blacks and whites aren't too integrated anywhere on the planet earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City