U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most affected by drugs:
Florida 50 57.47%
California 37 42.53%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,167,673 times

Advertisements

I think California and Florida get thrown around a lot in the discussion of illegal drugs in the U.S., perhaps because they are entry points into the U.S. for the illegal drug trade. Where has drug usage and trade had the most visible impact?

Things for consideration (most of these are assumptions/ideas I hold and not based on concrete fact, please correct me where I am wrong):

California:

- Grows more Marijuana than any other U.S. state (at least I think so)
- Liberal attitude towards drugs which probably contributed to it being the center of the LSD movement (again, at least I believe so) and a hotbed of drug-related political activism (hence medical marijuana)
- Severely affected by the crack epidemic in the 80's
- Transit point for drugs into the U.S. via Mexico?

Florida:

- Traditionally viewed as the cocaine capital of America and is historically the largest transit point into the U.S. for drugs via South America
- Low regulation of prescription medication sales making it the oxycontin capital of America
- If I remember correctly, drug money financed a lot of development in South Florida, particularly Miami, during the 70's-80's and may continue to do so today

What is your guess?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:01 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,179,036 times
California. It's a border state and faces much of the problems of a border state, drug cartels, and there's also the Marijuana presence there.

Florida is a bit harder to drug cartel since it's not a border state but boating and shipments of drugs probably do arrive by sea.

I would still guess California though, because it is a border state and it has a stance on Marijuana that it is known for nationally.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Both. I think I read somewhere that Florida has the highest number of Marijuana Growhouses in the US. And Florida being the Oxycotin capital of the US is pretty accurate.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:25 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,167,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
California. It's a border state and faces much of the problems of a border state, drug cartels, and there's also the Marijuana presence there.

Florida is a bit harder to drug cartel since it's not a border state but boating and shipments of drugs probably do arrive by sea.

I would still guess California though, because it is a border state and it has a stance on Marijuana that it is known for nationally.
Florida may not be a border state, but I think pound per pound Florida has probably imported more illegal drugs than any other U.S. state.

Isn't South Florida traditionally considered the top entry point for drugs of all kind into the U.S.?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Miami was built off of drug money.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,375,629 times
I don't think any other city has been shaped by illegal drugs more so than Miami, both good and bad. Just watch Cocaine Cowboys. While money from Marijuana may run the economies of small towns along the 101 corridor in Northern CA, drugs in CA have never propped up the economy like they did in South Florida in the 70's and 80's. Miami is not like this today but it's history and development were shaped by drugs more so than any major city in CA. But overall it might be a toss up, CA has a lot of drugs flowing from it but it's mostly MJ, which seems less harmful than what comes out of Florida.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,136,816 times
I voted for Florida, because marijuana doesn't really affect anybody negatively. Only the people who have been brainwashed by years of misinformation via society. For example, over 4,000 studies have been done on the medical uses of marijuana, yet only about 100 have actually been considered. Marijuana is a harmless substance. But I will admit crack was a big problem in CA back in the 80's and meth use is actually very widespread here although many may not know that. LSD is a diff story and I don't believe LSD is harmful.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 PM

3,732 posts, read 6,892,332 times
You have to think of the hippy scene and all of that back in the day and how huge it was in California. Still though, back in the day I would've probably still voted for Florida just because of Miami. Nowadays, especially recently, with all of that Cartel noise in Mexico I have to go with California.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:56 PM

Yeah, Miami is the only city I know, that got a REAL economic boom off of drug money.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:04 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,473,129 times
SAV858 is right about south Florida in the early 1980s and the whole "cocaine cowboys" thing but that was back then. Miami is a different city today than it was back then when drug dealers and bankers would launder drug money. The DEA carefully watches the coastline of all southern Florida so Miami isn't a huge entry point anymore but the drug smugglers now use the vast emptiness of the Everglades still. I voted for California since it shares a land border with Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or