U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 08:18 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,197,699 times

Advertisements

This will be interesting, it's simple. I want to exclude Texas & California from this thread, they get talked about way to much.

Can you name a state that thinks one of it's main cities is holding it back?

Can you name a city that thinks it's state is holding it back?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll go first:

City that holds it's state back: Many in Michigan feel that Detroit is an anchor, and that it's holding it's state back. I personally like Detroit and it's metropolitan area, but that's how a lot of the residents I have met there feel.

State that holds one of it's main cities back: Illinois, especially with it's government the way it is can be viewed as holding Chicago & it's suburbs back.
(That's just my opinion though)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:25 AM

5,148 posts, read 4,993,434 times
Many in Upstate and Western NY feel that NYC holds the state back. The claim is that higher business taxes deter new smaller companies and any other larger companies looking to relocate. Also, higher property taxes come from higher state funding, much of which people claim goes to the NYC metro.

I know, from living there, that the taxes are very high in places like Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse. The population in the cities is slowly decreasing and the metro population is mainly stagnant. If NYC were not in the state, taxes would likely decrease and these cities might start to grow again.

I have to admit, I don't know enough to dedicate support to this argument, but I understand the reasoning.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,473,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
State that holds one of it's main cities back: Illinois, especially with it's government the way it is can be viewed as holding Chicago & it's suburbs back.
(That's just my opinion though)
Uh, but given how Chicago-area voters can dominate Illinois elections, couldn't downstaters argue that Chicago holds Illinois back? After all, isn't Blago a Chicago guy? Food for thought.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:37 AM

10,171 posts, read 12,197,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Uh, but given how Chicago-area voters can dominate Illinois elections, couldn't downstaters argue that Chicago holds Illinois back? After all, isn't Blago a Chicago guy? Food for thought.
He might be a Chicago guy, but the dynamics in Illinois politics is that Chicago & suburbs are mostly democrat (with exceptions) and downstate is Republican. Chicago being in the same state makes those Republican voters really angry, so yes a lot of downstate people do not like Chicago's presence. But think about it this way. Does Illinois need Chicago more, or does Chicago need Illinois more?

Chicagoland doesn't really have much care for Illinois, Illinois needs Chicagoland more than Chicagoland needs it. Especially considering how Chicago also controls the fresh water source of Lake Michigan.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,857,234 times
I think that states that hold their cities back are those that have at least moderately progressive urban areas, but rural interests dominate state politics and this, in turn, stifles the progress that their urban areas make. I think Georgia is the poster child for this, but I'd also throw South Carolina in also. Alabama is potentially another candidate.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:23 AM

2,851 posts, read 5,431,750 times
The state of Georgia definitely has done a lot in the past to hold Atlanta back. Many outside of Atlanta in the state have anti Atlanta sentiments and the legislators they elect go to the state capital and pass laws that hurt Atlanta and kill laws that would help.

A prime example is mass transit. Most States help fund public transit in their cities but Georgia has always refused to spend a dime to help Atlanta's transit. I'm not sure but I've read a few times before that MARTA in Atlanta is the only transit authority that does not receive State funding.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,774,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
The state of Georgia definitely has done a lot in the past to hold Atlanta back. Many outside of Atlanta in the state have anti Atlanta sentiments and the legislators they elect go to the state capital and pass laws that hurt Atlanta and kill laws that would help.

A prime example is mass transit. Most States help fund public transit in their cities but Georgia has always refused to spend a dime to help Atlanta's transit. I'm not sure but I've read a few times before that MARTA in Atlanta is the only transit authority that does not receive State funding.
It's true.

A lot of people in South/Middle Georgia also claim that "Atlanta sucks the State dry" when in reality we pay more in taxes than we receive in return.

Elections in some areas of the State can be won by the candidate simply having an "anti-Atlanta" agenda. And it only seems to be getting worse.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:40 AM

5,805 posts, read 8,322,706 times
Pennsylvania - definitely holds Pittsburgh and Philadelphia back....

Everyone has heard the term Philadelphia on side Pittsburgh on the other and Alabama in the middle couldn't be more true...

Rural PA hates the Big cities of PA...

Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 AM

21,958 posts, read 30,833,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pennsylvania - definitely holds Pittsburgh and Philadelphia back....

Everyone has heard the term Philadelphia on side Pittsburgh on the other and Alabama in the middle couldn't be more true...

Rural PA hates the Big cities of PA...

We agree on something

PA is not very progessive in bringing in or maintaining businesses, recently many in the Philly have been moving accross the river into NJ which is more business friendly

Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 PM

12,995 posts, read 17,136,359 times
Rural Pennsylvania can shove it, and so can rural Georgia. Both states go out of their ways to sabotage their major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City