Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,036,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I think Miami would be the LAST city in the country to be called "tundra-like" not Seattle. Okay so Seattle nor Boston is a true tundra. Florida is not the true tropics, but it is "tropic-like".
Like I said, look up the word, "tundra", nothing about Seattle or Boston can be compared to tundra...nothing.

While it is true Florida can be said to be "tropic-like", Seattle and Boston can not be said to be "tundra like".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 09:36 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,918,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't remember seeing people attacking your preference for Atlanta necessarily...but I do remember your first post:

Most of this post is pure drivel, especially regarding Seattle. Boston gets very cold...but by no means are you "trapped inside by the ice and snow" for months on end. Just because you are from Florida and aren't conditioned to be able to tolerate cold weather doesn't mean others aren't. Since the OP is from Nebraska and her SO is from Indiana, there is no reason to think they're going to spend their winters huddled together crying about there being snow on the ground.
I would be trapped inside by the ice and snow, that's all. Stop trying to tell me otherwise. I am aware of where the OP is from and I'm still going to tell them that Boston and Seattle are cold weather places. Give it up! It's like me saying Tampa is not hot because Phoenix gets hotter.

Quote:
Your inaccurate claims about Seattle opened up the flood gates for others to thrash you (and you deserved it). You weren't stating your preference for Atlanta, you were dragging Seattle and Boston through the mud in order to make Atlanta look better.

Some advice: if you have a preference for a city, simply post reasons why you like that city. Don't post false things about places you have absolutely zero familiarity with.

P.S. I don't know where you're from but being 3.5-4 hours away from the ocean does not equal "not too far" for most people.
Yeah I deserved it but did the OP?? You Seattle posters are proving one thing for sure, her request of meeting nice people will not be so easy in a place that's so defensive based on a Floridan's perception of PNW weather. Also, people in the piedmont like Atlanta and Charlotte or Spartanburg where I lived, often hop in the car and head to the beach, so that's a matter of perspective. Oh and thanks for the "advice" but I've been to 2 of the 3 a lot and I know people here in my own family who are from Seattle and didn't like the weather.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Like I said, look up the word, "tundra", nothing about Seattle or Boston can be compared to tundra...nothing.

While it is true Florida can be said to be "tropic-like", Seattle and Boston can not be said to be "tundra like".
Relax, I already did that the first time. Seattle is not a tundra!!! Are you happy?? It certainly feels like one anywhere the ground freezes over and the wind blows, even if only temporary.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:41 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,582,922 times
Quote:
I think Miami would be the LAST city in the country to be called "tundra-like" not Seattle. Okay so Seattle nor Boston is a true tundra. Florida is not the true tropics, but it is "tropic-like".
I don't think you quite grasp how mild the weather is in the pacific northwest. I don't know how to get this through to you, but many places in the SE have colder avg winter temps than the PNW, including Atlanta. With that said, Atlanta warms up quicker and has much hotter summers. But thats life in an pacific-ocean-moderated, nothern latitude climate. Florida is much, much closer to a tropical climate than Seattle is to an arctic climate.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I don't think you quite grasp how mild the weather is in the pacific northwest. I don't know how to get this through to you, but many places in the SE have colder avg winter temps than the PNW, including Atlanta. With that said, Atlanta warms up quicker and has much hotter summers. But thats life in an pacific-ocean-moderated, nothern latitude climate.
I got it, you are factually correct on that. All I'm trying to say is that from what I've heard, the winters in Seattle can feel extremely cold due to high humidity in the wintertime there. Now I will say that summer in the PNW is spose to be beautiful since you have low humidity during the summer. When it drops down to the 30's in Florida, it can feel worse because of our humidity. Now add in the dampness and overcast skies and I think I'd hate a winter in Seattle versus Atlanta where, even if the temp was technically lower, the skies tend to be less overcast and there usually isn't much precip.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:51 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,405,203 times
Quote:
I would be trapped inside by the ice and snow, that's all. Stop trying to tell me otherwise. I am aware of where the OP is from and I'm still going to tell them that Boston and Seattle are cold weather places. Give it up! It's like me saying Tampa is not hot because Phoenix gets hotter.
When did I ever say it doesn't get cold in these places?

Quote:
Yeah I deserved it but did the OP?? You Seattle posters are proving one thing for sure, her request of meeting nice people will not be so easy in a place that's so defensive based on a Floridan's perception of PNW weather.
1) I'm not from Seattle.

2) There's nothing wrong about being defensive about your city when people post things that are inaccurate. If I said "Orlando is oppressively hot year round and there is nothing there except for Disney World", you're probably going to say to yourself "wtf is this guy talking about?" and then respond in a defensive manner.

Quote:
Also, people in the piedmont like Atlanta and Charlotte or Spartanburg where I lived, often hop in the car and head to the beach, so that's a matter of perspective.
Believe me, I know. I graduated from Clemson, which is about 25-30 minutes from Gville-Spartanburg. People do make the trip to the beach, but it's a weekend trip. Maybe these people would consider that "not too far" since they're from NE & IN...but compared to Boston & Seattle, the beaches in Atlanta are very far away.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
When did I ever say it doesn't get cold in these places?

1) I'm not from Seattle.

2) There's nothing wrong about being defensive about your city when people post things that are inaccurate. If I said "Orlando is oppressively hot year round and there is nothing there except for Disney World", you're probably going to say to yourself "wtf is this guy talking about?" and then respond in a defensive manner.

Believe me, I know. I graduated from Clemson, which is about 25-30 minutes from Gville-Spartanburg. People do make the trip to the beach, but it's a weekend trip. Maybe these people would consider that "not too far" since they're from NE & IN...but compared to Boston & Seattle, the beaches in Atlanta are very far away.
It's fine to be defensive but what did I say that's not 100% my opinion since that's how I started my post. IMO, I would be trapped inside by the cold in Seattle and certainly Boston. Hell SC was too cold for too long for me. Living in Atlanta would be slightly better but still cold for my tastes.

Yes I would get defensive but I think since this is not a city vs city
"throwdown" like suggested, I'd keep my being offended from turning a thread into a debacle. Glad to see you know the Upstate of SC, it's a beautiful place that's nearby Atlanta. One more reason, I'd go with Atlanta.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I got it, you are factually correct on that. All I'm trying to say is that from what I've heard, the winters in Seattle can feel extremely cold due to high humidity in the wintertime there. Now I will say that summer in the PNW is spose to be beautiful since you have low humidity during the summer. When it drops down to the 30's in Florida, it can feel worse because of our humidity. Now add in the dampness and overcast skies and I think I'd hate a winter in Seattle versus Atlanta where, even if the temp was technically lower, the skies tend to be less overcast and there usually isn't much precip.
I guess thats a matter of opinion. Having traveled to places in the NE and midwest during winter, it certainly felt much colder than what I was used to in Seattle, even with the lower relative humidity. The low clouds tend to trap in heat, so while the sun is not visible, the cloud cover acts as a giant blanket. The few bone chilling days that we get in the dead of winter tend to be the ones with a bright, blue sky.

Obviously I'm not going to convince you as a Floridian that you'd personally feel comfortable in 45 degree drizzly weather, but compared to alot of places, its honestly not that bad (assuming that cold weather is "bad", which to many people it isn't).

Old 07-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I guess thats a matter of opinion. Having traveled to places in the NE and midwest during winter, it certainly felt much colder than what I was used to in Seattle, even with the lower relative humidity. Obviously I'm not going to convince you as a Floridian that you'd personally feel comfortable in 45 degree drizzly weather, but compared to alot of places, its honestly not that bad.
No you're right, it's not as bad as those places in the NE or Midwest. I would never advocate that the OP go to Boston over Seattle based on my preference in weather. Atlanta is another story, that's one state north of mine. I do see how beautiful Seattle is from the photos on your forum. But read that Sticky thread about the Weather and many people have mixed feelings about PNW weather.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
No you're right, it's not as bad as those places in the NE or Midwest. I would never advocate that the OP go to Boston over Seattle based on my preference in weather. Atlanta is another story, that's one state north of mine. I do see how beautiful Seattle is from the photos on your forum. But read that Sticky thread about the Weather and many people have mixed feelings about PNW weather.
Yes, there are people who love the climate, those who merely tolerate it, and those who depise it. But its not because they are miserably cold, its because of the cloudiness and rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City