Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Whose the best overall?
Bay Area 6 14.29%
Twin Cities 5 11.90%
Philadelphia 22 52.38%
They're all bad, I follow another team/I don't really care about these cities sports teams 9 21.43%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

This is at the Ballpark, no need for a ticket

YouTube - McFaddden's @ the Ballpark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:14 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Which one is the better area for professional sports, who has the larger media market, who has won more, and who has the fans to keep their spirits alive?

Any of them have any star players? And how are their venues- does it have history and is it well maintained or are they getting a new venue for any team?

NFL
NBA
MLB
NHL
MLS

Those are the questions, those are the clubs, and this is the thread.
In general Professional Sports on the east coast is much more intense than the rest of the country. Probably something to do with the older root system. These baseball + football teams have been around Philly NY Boston for over a century,passed down through multiple generations, the teams are part of the fabric of these cities.

NFL- Philly,Minny,SF
NBA- All 3 are just horrible NBA towns right now.
MLB- Philly,SF,Minny
NHL-Minny,Philly,SF
MLS-SF,Minny Philly.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
In general Professional Sports on the east coast is much more intense than the rest of the country. Probably something to do with the older root system. These baseball + football teams have been around Philly NY Boston for over a century,passed down through multiple generations, the teams are part of the fabric of these cities.

NFL- Philly,Minny,SF
NBA- All 3 are just horrible NBA towns right now.
MLB- Philly,SF,Minny
NHL-Minny,Philly,SF
MLS-SF,Minny Philly.
LOL, even though 'Minny' had a better football team than the Eagles last year and 'Minny' has been to more superbowls.

I'll give you Philly over 'Minny' in MLB, but not SF, the Giants suck and the Twins have been winning divisional titles like crazy.

MLS? 'Minny' doesn't even have an MLS team.

NHL? You have to go with Flyers, successful franchise, great fans.

Last edited by Kid Cann; 07-25-2010 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 05:15 PM

389 posts, read 1,095,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
NHL? You have to go with Flyers, original 6, successful franchise, great fans.
The Flyers weren't part of the Original Six. Although, I agree with your last 2 points.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times
I sure hate Philly teams lol.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
LOL, even though 'Minny' had a better football team than the Eagles last year and 'Minny' has been to more superbowls.

I'll give you Philly over 'Minny' in MLB, but not SF, the Giants suck and the Twins have been winning divisional titles like crazy.

MLS? 'Minny' doesn't even have an MLS team.

NHL? You have to go with Flyers, successful franchise, great fans.
You're confused.

This isn't about who won more superbowls or who was better last year. This thread asked which city has the best overall enviornment per professional sport, fans, market appeal etc etc. Over the past 10 years Philadelphia is arguably #2 in the NFL on that list behind New England. In baseball they may be #2 behind the Bankees.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:07 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times
Quote:
You're confused.

This isn't about who won more superbowls or who was better last year. This thread asked which city has the best overall enviornment per professional sport, fans, market appeal etc etc. Over the past 10 years Philadelphia is arguably #2 in the NFL on that list behind New England. In baseball they may be #2 behind the Bankees.
Although I agree with your point completely, I am really hesitant to say that Philly is #2 and New England is #1 in the NFL for professional sports appeal. I'd go with:

1. Green Bay
2. New England
3. Dallas
4. Indianapolis
5. Philadelphia

Old 07-26-2010, 12:05 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,706,475 times
Quote:
You're confused.

Ah, I get what's up now.

That's true, the Phillies are always selling out crowds. Basically it's because Philly is an awesome sports town.

In Minnesota, we draw great crowds, however they are so family, and almost pseudo fans. Fans just going 'to do something', not to actually root, root, root for the home team, which sucks. But that's the midwest and minnesota for you. All catering to families all the time. Why? Money, families will spend the most amount of money. When I went to a Phillies game, I was in heaven. So many young guys and gals chanting, cheering, talking trash, just being emotionally supportive of their team and their town, because that's what pro sports are all about, IMO. That's how it was at US Cellular in Chicago too.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Although I agree with your point completely, I am really hesitant to say that Philly is #2 and New England is #1 in the NFL for professional sports appeal. I'd go with:

1. Green Bay
2. New England
3. Dallas
4. Indianapolis

5. Philadelphia
For real?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
Quote:
NHL-Minny,Philly,SF
MLS-SF,Minny Philly.
Not sure how SF ranks in either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City