Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:31 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Do you really not see the similarities between these Florida cities and these Cali cities, or do you just have some vendetta against Cali?lol. I'll be honest, Miami and LA have completely different climates, Miami is humid, wet, and tropical, while LA is dry heat, and Mediterranean, Miami is flat, LA is mountainous, BUT strictly from a city/county urbanization stand-point, LA is the closest resemblance to Miami you're gonna get in the US. IF there was ONE city that I HAD to compare Miami to as a twin or a city that's "like" it, the closest you're gonna get in the US, OUTSIDE of Florida, would be Los Angeles. That's all I'm saying. As different as these 2 cities are, they're the closest to resemblance that you're gonna get OUTSIDE of there respective states, LA is the closest to Miami's twin. And Tampa DOES look like it can be somewhere in Cali. It looks like a FLAT smaller, San Diego. These Cali, and Florida cities have the same vegetation, and architecture, 2 strong suits in determining similarities. And I think SF is the odd man out. I can't find an SF equivalent to anywhere in Florida.
When comparing California and Florida, I would put Miami and L.A. together, but I wouldn't call them 'twins'. And they don't have the same vegetation. When I watch Miami tv shows, I can tell their in L.A. and one of the give offs is the plants(aside from the mountains in the background).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,383,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndersDrift View Post
I'd say Oakland but Sacramento might work to for Jacksonville.

I see no similarities really between Tampa and anywhere in California. Just like I don't see any similarities between San Francisco and anywhere really in Florida. The closest would be Miami because they both have large financial districts but thats about where the comparison ends.

As for Miami and LA. Nothing in my opinion compares to Miami including LA.

Greater urban sprawl, similar cultures Puerto Rican vs Mexican, and Orlando also has one of the only Asian districts in Florida. People compare LA and Miami because they're both huge cities but Miami has a huge downtown, LA doesn't. Miami has a huge Cuban population - Cubans and Mexicans hate each other. Miami is known for its beautiful people thats what San Diego is known for. LA has a Disneyworld associated with it. Orlando has a Disneyworld associated with it.

Maybe Hialeah could be compared to parts of LA because of the quality of life similarities but Hialeah cannot be compared as a whole to LA just as LA as a whole cannot compare to Miami.
Your logic totally escapes me and suggest some sort of bias. Living in the LA area and having been in both Miami and Orlando make it abundantly clear that you do not know Los Angeles well. What does Cubans not liking Mexicans have to do with anything? And since when do they not get along? I am Puerto Rican living in a heavily Mexican region and have never sensed any animosity between Caribbean Latinos and continental Latinos. You are way off on that example.

Next to Miami, Los Angeles is the largest Spanish speaking major city in the U.S. Both cities are strongly bi-lingual and Catholic.

Your example of "beautiful people" is another puzzling example and doesn't make any sense. "La La Land" is stereotyped by being for the "beautiful" people with the glamour and fast lifestyle that the image projects. Don't you even watch television? Miami's "South Beach" has that kind of vibe and wealthy people that is quite similar to Hollywood\ Beverly Hills\ Malibu.

I've driven into Hialeah from the airport going up to Pembroke Pines and assumed it was within Miami city limits. Evidently it isn't but I didn't get any sense of it resembling Los Angeles other than having a very large Latino population. It seemed a little urban but more suburban to me. I guess parts of LA could be like Hialeah [maybe the San Fernando valley].

Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Do you really not see the similarities between these Florida cities and these Cali cities, or do you just have some vendetta against Cali?lol. I'll be honest, Miami and LA have completely different climates, Miami is humid, wet, and tropical, while LA is dry heat, and Mediterranean, Miami is flat, LA is mountainous, BUT strictly from a city/county urbanization stand-point, LA is the closest resemblance to Miami you're gonna get in the US. IF there was ONE city that I HAD to compare Miami to as a twin or a city that's "like" it, the closest you're gonna get in the US, OUTSIDE of Florida, would be Los Angeles. That's all I'm saying. As different as these 2 cities are, they're the closest to resemblance that you're gonna get OUTSIDE of there respective states, LA is the closest to Miami's twin. And Tampa DOES look like it can be somewhere in Cali. It looks like a FLAT smaller, San Diego. These Cali, and Florida cities have the same vegetation, and architecture, 2 strong suits in determining similarities. And I think SF is the odd man out. I can't find an SF equivalent to anywhere in Florida.
I agree that Tampa is as close a fit with San Diego as all the cities. Both have bays and a beach lifestyle if St. Petersburg is included. In-fact St Pete reminds me of La Jolla [ie. wealthy with lots of retirees]. Tampa and San Diego have similar architecture and vegetation. When at Balboa Park I definitely get a Florida feel with all the palms and large trees.

San Francisco is really hard to compare to many cities in the U.S. [though Boston and Seattle come to mind]. Nothing in Florida fits in that comparison.

I've never been to Jacksonville but can see the points of comparing it to Sacramento. Both the largest cities of the farthest north regions of the state although Sacramento isn't very close to the Oregon border [probably 200 miles south] but Jacksonville is very close to Georgia. Sacramento votes Democratic but isn't flamboyant like the Bay Area & LA; more down to earth like I would guess Jacksonville is.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Quote:
Tampa looks like it could be in Cali but its not similar to Cali, there's a difference. I don't consider Miami and LA to be the closest, I consider Miami and San Diego to have more in common with each other.

You pick which two look more alike:

San Diego:

Miami:

Los Angeles:

San Diego is home to USC
Miami is home to UMiami
San Diego is subtropical and moist
Miami is subtropical and moist
San Diego is known for its beautiful people
Miami is known for its beautiful people
San Diego has a lot of Spanish revival architecture
Miami has a lot of Spanish revival architecture
Miami sprawls predominately North to South
San Diego sprawls predominately North to South

Old 07-25-2010, 04:58 PM

198 posts, read 653,751 times
This should be more like Florida compared to SoCal

Miami (So. FLA as a whole) = Los Angeles
Tampa (Incl. Fort Myers/Clearwater) = San Diego
Orlando = Anaheim (Perfect Comparison)
Jacksonville = Inland Empire (SB, Redlands, Riverside)
Tallahasee = Long Beach

NorCal could be compared to the following three states.. GA, SC and NC.
Thats about the same amount of land, but not coastline.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Tampa looks like it could be in Cali but its not similar to Cali, there's a difference. I don't consider Miami and LA to be the closest, I consider Miami and San Diego to have more in common with each other.

San Diego:

Miami:

Los Angeles:

San Diego is home to USC
Miami is home to UMiami
You really don't know what you are taking about! USC is probably in the photo you presented of Los Angeles since it is within a mile of downtown. San Diego is not moist since it only averages around 9 inches of rainfall a year and all of it during winter. Subtropical temps maybe but no similarities between the climate of southern California and Florida [please do a little research because you look ridiculous]. Since when is San Diego know for it's "beautiful people"? I mean it has beautiful people but San Diego is more lay-back beach culture and not really into the glamour that one associates with South Beach\ Miami.

Frankly all your points are weak and mostly irrelevant. Don't you check your facts and opinions with reality or do you have some sort of agenda? If you do then your contributions are meaningless and I don't think you want to be marginalized do you?

Old 07-25-2010, 05:03 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:

San Diego:

Miami:

Los Angeles:

San Diego is home to USC
Miami is home to UMiami
San Diego is NOT subtropical and moist, it is Mediterranean. I don't think SD is known for beautiful people (you are thinking of LA), it is known for retired Navy. Both cities having universities and both cities sprawling north-south are not at all remarkable.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Your logic totally escapes me and suggest some sort of bias. Living in the LA area and having been in both Miami and Orlando make it abundantly clear that you do not know Los Angeles well. What does Cubans not liking Mexicans have to do with anything? And since when do they not get along? I am Puerto Rican living in a heavily Mexican region and have never sensed any animosity between Caribbean Latinos and continental Latinos. You are way off on that example.

Next to Miami, Los Angeles is the largest Spanish speaking major city in the U.S. Both cities are strongly bi-lingual and Catholic.

Your example of "beautiful people" is another puzzling example and doesn't make any sense. "La La Land" is stereotyped by being for the "beautiful" people with the glamour and fast lifestyle that the image projects. Don't you even watch television? Miami's "South Beach" has that kind of vibe and wealthy people that is quite similar to Hollywood\ Beverly Hills\ Malibu.

I've driven into Hialeah from the airport going up to Pembroke Pines and assumed it was within Miami city limits. Evidently it isn't but I didn't get any sense of it resembling Los Angeles other than having a very large Latino population. It seemed a little urban but more suburban to me. I guess parts of LA could be like Hialeah [maybe the San Fernando valley].
Look at it this way:
Quote:
The economy of Los Angeles is driven by international trade, entertainment (television, motion pictures, video games, recorded music), aerospace, technology, petroleum, fashion, apparel, and tourism.
Orlando matches these things far better than Miami does.

Miami is driven by banking. LA isn't.
Orlando has a decent Asian population, Miami has none
Orlando has aerospace, technology, music, video game development, and entertainment. Miami has some of these but not all.
Orlando is inland a bit, LA is inland a bit, Miami is not.
Orlando has within 20% the Hispanic population of LA. Miami has within 20% the Hispanic population of LA. (Miami 20% greater than LA and Orlando 20% less than LA).
I will give the port to Miami of course.

Don't get me wrong you can compare Miami to any city. But in my eyes the strongest correlation between LA and a Florida city is Orlando.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:08 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Miami and LA have alot more in common than people think. They're not as different from each other as people are starting to think. Heck LA is the ONLY city I've seen people compare to Miami in the "Which cities are twins" thread. If there was ONE city in the US that had at least ONE thing in common with Miami, it would be LA. LA is the closest city in the US OUTSIDE of Florida, that is even remotely similar to Miami. Where else? Honestly Where else?
LA and Miami are both unique, but not comparable.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:15 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
Jacksonville- Sacramento (both cities live in the shadows of larger ones)

Orlando- San Diego (Sea World, tourist destination, convention center being busy, lives in the shadow of their states largest city)

Tampa- San Jose (some tech jobs, NEAR A BAY, Triple city design *SF/SJ/Oakland* *Tampa/St. Petersburg/Clear Water* both of these cities are a very strong economical driving force for their states)

Oakland- Fort Lauderdale (plays second banana to the larger city right in the same MSA, but actually is a very well established city but gets little recognition for such)

Los Angeles- Miami, Quite frankly the layout for both cities is opposite, but beaches, palm tree's, the night life being the best in both their states, the sports mecca for their their states, the soon to be Lakers-Heat rivalry, the largest metropolitan area in both their states, the Latin American influence in architecture, food, and clothing, the international business, the port activity, etc... I could go on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City