Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Indianapolis or Columbus?
Indianapolis 10 35.71%
Columbus 16 57.14%
Not sure 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 PM

554 posts, read 2,500,592 times

Advertisements

I know there has been a lot of city comparing threads lately (mostly Detroit and some other city) but I had to do this one!

Arguably, these two cities are more alike than any other two cities in the Midwest.

Their populations are very similar:

Indy - Central city: 785,597 ; Metro: 1,666,032
C-Bus - Central city: 733,203 ; Metro: 1,725,570

They are both located centrally in their states, they are both state capitols, both are very affordable, both are pretty much the same demographic wise, began getting more national recognition in the 20th century, growing above the national rate, etc.

If you had to pick one for which one you like better overall, which would you prefer, and why?

I've just been wondering which city in general seems more appealing to people besides me.. I've never been to Columbus, but I hope to go someday so I can compare it to my hometown.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 12:54 PM

I chose Indy. What do others think?

Old 07-29-2007, 06:38 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,650,609 times
Columbus,cause Im from Ohio,and I think its better.Bigger metro,better skyline,there about the same in diversity.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,669,874 times
The two have similar growths, yes
and population figures
but columbus is one of the youngest populations in the country not counting college students
Has 12 universities, and the largest one in america Ohio State
and is a very liberal city, in a growingly blue metro

These aspects create a very different people living in the two cities,
Columbus in my opinion has the more interesting city for clubs, stuff for people in their 20s, alternative music scene, and liberal groups

Plus i am gay, and columbus' gay community has much more strength, most companies in columbus support the gay community and the city government, and now state, is directly tied to columbus' gay wealthy (all of the gentrification in the city has started with the gay population and now there is gay millionaries whom lobby the state and city)
Example:
Human Rights Campaign has major fundraisers all of the country
HRC is the gay lobbiest group, their fundraiser for Ohio is in columbus while Indi, Dayton, and Cincinnati doesnt have enough support for one so they come to columbus for this fundraiser.
Indy does have a good downtown mall, and is more visitor friendly, but if you have a car/or take a cab or walk a few blocks out of columbus' downtown, columbus has the stronger/interesting neighborhoods and commercial districts surrounding its downtown. And the bars/lounges in columbus seem more cosmo, also columbus has a very strong fine dinning scene.

Also, sports focuses are opposite in the city
At best the two cities are only similiar from the air

Old 07-30-2007, 04:24 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,351,166 times
Tough call. Id go with Columbus. Plus I hate the Colts. Any city with the Colts, whether it be Indy or Baltimore, should be razed to the ground.

j/k

Old 07-30-2007, 04:35 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,026,118 times
Gotta go with Indy on this one (of course)

Better sports, more things to do, and a more charming atmosphere.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:28 PM

143 posts, read 872,849 times
Too easy..Columbus. Its a little more diverse than Indy and there is a very large young professional population.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-10-2009 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 07-31-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Too easy..Columbus. Its a little more diverse than Indy and there is a very large young professional population. Only bad part is the city is attacting homos like flies on manure (largest gay population outside of NY and SF)..
Really? I thought Seattle was up there... It has the second largest percentage of gays after SF... but I will agree whenever I hear about Columbus, it's always about the younger population.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,391 times
Maybe Columbus has changed dramatically in the last five years, but I never use to hear or witness anything very positive about the city in terms of it being a cultural mecca. Downtown is barren after 5:00. Indy has revitalized its downtown, at least from a business and social standpoint. I'm not crazy about Indianapolis, as well as the transformation for the worse of the Broad Ripple section, but I'd still pick Indy ten out of ten times. If I was a student/fan of Ohio State, then perhaps my experiences would be different and my perceptions would be altered.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:50 AM

16 posts, read 72,652 times
Columbus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City