Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of different ways people view these cities overall. Some say New York City deserves an entire tier of it's own, some say it's only New York City & Washington DC in the top tier. Some say Chicago, Los Angeles, & New York City are all same tier. Some say Los Angeles & New York City are same tier. Some say Chicago & New York City are same tier.

How would you place all of them in a tier based off how you view their overall importance. Please refrain from bringing up cities that are not mentioned in this thread. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will go first- I'm actually split on these two scenarios.

First Tier:
- New York City

Second Tier:
- Los Angeles
- Chicago

Third Tier:
- Washington DC

OR

First Tier:
- New York City

Second Tier:
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC

My reasoning: I really don't see Washington DC to be more important as the other three, whether it's the capital or not. The maximum I see it as is on par with them, and this is not a knock on Washington DC (one of my ideal cities). But that is my personal opinion. Chicago & Los Angeles fill in for what the other lacks, but I give Los Angeles the nod for being slightly more important, but they are ideally same tier- nearly all studies put them that way as well. (with some exceptions when Chicago is placed higher, and others when Los Angeles is placed higher)

Those are the two ways I view those 4 cities, I am still not sure yet, but those are my options and that is my response to this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How would you tier these 4 cities? If you want to explain why, you're most welcomed to do so. Don't go based off mine, make your own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 08:32 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,172 times
san francisco and philadelphia deserve a place on one of those lists. agreed that new york is in a tier of its own.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
san francisco and philadelphia deserve a place on one of those lists. agreed that new york is in a tier of its own.
I just want to keep it to these four cities. I don't doubt San Francisco & Philadelphia, but I want to keep it to America's 3 largest cities & the national capital.

Please & Thank You!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
you had it right 1 )nyc 2) la chicago 3) dc (there are other cities with dc)

Old 07-26-2010, 09:09 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
I always had NYC, LA, & Chicago in a tier together. Washington D.C. might be in a tier of it's own as the capital but can also be placed with cities like Boston & Atlanta.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I always had NYC, LA, & Chicago in a tier together. Washington D.C. might be in a tier of it's own as the capital but can also be placed with cities like Boston & Atlanta.

I think

NYC 1

Chicago and LA 2 (different but both larger than the next set) Sorry Chicago and LA

DC is kinda of tier of it's own surpasssing it's size due to political influence maybe A

Next is that busy place that includes a half a dozen or so that have trouble distinguishing themsleves completely, they all have their strong points but none completely excel in all aspects

Old 07-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I think

NYC 1

Chicago and LA 2 (different but both larger than the next set) Sorry Chicago and LA

DC is kinda of tier of it's own surpasssing it's size due to political influence maybe A

Next is that busy place that includes a half a dozen or so that have trouble distinguishing themsleves completely, they all have their strong points but none completely excel in all aspects
I agree, I do think Washington DC in reality should have a tier of it's own after the 3 largest cities and away from the other cities in America. In my personal opinion it is one of the top 4 most important cities, the other three being the other stars of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I agree, but I think by the end of this decade we'll be seeing a difference in that set. Two of them are taking great advantage of the economic potential right now, I believe one of them have reached the peak of their growth and will be growing in a more sustainable rate now and improving upon infrastructure.
I think we'll be seeing a major difference between those three now, 2 of them will still be more similar since being in the same state will cause similarities.
2014, we'll be seeing one of them take an opportunity with Panama Canal expansion and increasing port activity. So it's all up in the air right now.

Any one of those can dramatically change, but I'm holding my bet that two will pull away from one. (economically at least)

Lol, it's more fun to talk about cities with someone who knows which ones you mean without having to say the names... those three names pop up and hijack a lot of threads these days- so I just wanted to keep it up with this. I know you know which ones I am talking about!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:29 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,388,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
There's a lot of different ways people view these cities overall. Some say New York City deserves an entire tier of it's own, some say it's only New York City & Washington DC in the top tier. Some say Chicago, Los Angeles, & New York City are all same tier. Some say Los Angeles & New York City are same tier. Some say Chicago & New York City are same tier.

How would you place all of them in a tier based off how you view their overall importance. Please refrain from bringing up cities that are not mentioned in this thread. Thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will go first- I'm actually split on these two scenarios.

First Tier:
- New York City

Second Tier:
- Los Angeles
- Chicago

Third Tier:
- Washington DC

OR

First Tier:
- New York City

Second Tier:
- Los Angeles
- Chicago
- Washington DC

My reasoning: I really don't see Washington DC to be more important as the other three, whether it's the capital or not. The maximum I see it as is on par with them, and this is not a knock on Washington DC (one of my ideal cities). But that is my personal opinion. Chicago & Los Angeles fill in for what the other lacks, but I give Los Angeles the nod for being slightly more important, but they are ideally same tier- nearly all studies put them that way as well. (with some exceptions when Chicago is placed higher, and others when Los Angeles is placed higher)

Those are the two ways I view those 4 cities, I am still not sure yet, but those are my options and that is my response to this thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

How would you tier these 4 cities? If you want to explain why, you're most welcomed to do so. Don't go based off mine, make your own...
I believe your rationale is solid and agree with the tiers. I do think Houston and Philadelphia are marginal 2nd tier if you use only two categories. If a 3rd tier is included than Houston and Philly should be included.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:33 PM

648 posts, read 1,618,751 times
I would place DC with Chicago and LA. DC is a hard city to place into a category. But it plays just as much if not more of an international influence than LA and Chicago. You could consider DC the most important city in the country if you wanted to.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:36 PM

10,108 posts, read 9,969,171 times
1. NYC & LA (I always thought that they were seperate but equal)
2. Chicago (Big and Important, but just cant hang with the first 2)
3. DC Philly, Boston, Atlanta etc....
4. Baltimore, St. Louis, Charlotte... etc....
5.raleigh, richmond, norfolk, buffalo,...etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City