Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
New Orleans 39 27.46%
Atlanta 33 23.24%
Baltimore 1 0.70%
Los Angeles 3 2.11%
Birmingham 5 3.52%
Houston 10 7.04%
St. Louis 1 0.70%
Jackson 2 1.41%
Oakland 0 0%
Dallas 4 2.82%
Miami 0 0%
Jacksonville 0 0%
Washington D.C. 2 1.41%
Memphis 11 7.75%
Nashville 3 2.11%
Philadelphia 2 1.41%
Pittsburgh 0 0%
Cincinnatti 0 0%
Cleveland 1 0.70%
Chicago 8 5.63%
Detroit 2 1.41%
Louisville 0 0%
Little Rock 4 2.82%
Kansas City 1 0.70%
Richmond 2 1.41%
NYC 4 2.82%
Milwaukee 1 0.70%
Indy 1 0.70%
Boston 2 1.41%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:40 AM

468 posts, read 790,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Not the same place dude... This Is It - Houston (http://www.thisisithouston.com/html/index.htm - broken link)

Not necessarily true, cause I would kill to get what I had in Houston around here.
The name got me because there some Soul food restaurants here named This is It .. There good too. There just to far from my place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
being black has nothing to do with it. this food is part of both white and black heritage in the south.

Yes it does because whites don't cook it the same way. Isn't it wierd that it's always affliated with blacks

Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,484,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG2010 View Post
Yes it does because whites don't cook it the same way. Isn't it wierd that it's always affliated with blacks
All blacks don't cook it the same way and all blacks don't eat it the same....

Edit: To add to that.. most blacks and whites here eat pretty much the exact same thing, prepared the same way.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Your right they don't but it all orginated from black families. Whether they cook it the same or don't..

Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Edit: To add to that.. most blacks and whites here eat pretty much the exact same thing, prepared the same way.
Too Correct that... Most whites in the south don't prepare it the same way..

Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Soul Food is Soul Food. And like Spade said, Anywhere with a large Black population has good Soul Food. I'm not saying Soul Food is only a black thing, blacks and whites in the South eat the SAME thing, but a MAJORITY of blacks in OTHER regions of the US have original ancestry in the Southern US, as apposed to MOST Whites in other regions who's US ancestry were originally from those regions. Example: ALOT of older blacks in NYC, LA, CHI, etc have roots or were born in the South, and you can still here there accents and probably moved to these areas in the Great Migration. Whereas ALOT of Whites and older Whites in those same regions were originally from there and can trace there ancestries in those regions since before the 20's or before The Great Migration of blacks. So don't be surprised if you can find GREAT Soul Food joints in NYC, LA, CHI, etc. Los Angeles will most likely have Texas and Louisiana type Soul Food(like Creole joints), while NY will prob have more GA, NC, inspired Soul Food, according to the migration patterns of the blacks to other states(blacks in the Eastern South migrated to NY, while blacks in the Western South, migrated to Cali.)

Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Preparation does vary quite a bit sometimes between whites and blacks in the south. But it's the same general idea for both parties and there are more similarities than differences. Also, I think soul food and southern cooking are equally valid terms. I think soul food involves a couple of things that white southerners don't usually partake of. Chitlens and pig's feet. I don't think i've ever heard of white person mention chitlens. To be fair though, I live in Austin and while the black population in Austin retains a bunch of its southern characterisics the white population is losing it more and more everyday. So I can't speak for whites in places like Miss, Bama, and Georgia.

As far as the term soul food goes, I'm not entirely sure when or where it originated. My best guess is after the great migration the term probably became popular when whites in these areas that had never before seen many blacks needed something to call it. But then again black people I know have been embracing the term for a very long time, my grandfather is in is 70s and was raised in Texas all his life and he still says it. So who knows?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:45 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Dallas, Sweet Georgia Brown.
I have heard good things about this, but have never been.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:47 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
being black has nothing to do with it. this food is part of both white and black heritage in the south.
This is true and there's even some Native American influence, if you think about it. I think the view of it as being Black comes from the fact that the food comes with a strong Black influence from the South, which is the "Blackest" region in the country. You are right that a lot of the food is something people of various backgrounds in the South grew up with.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:54 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Soul Food is Soul Food. And like Spade said, Anywhere with a large Black population has good Soul Food. I'm not saying Soul Food is only a black thing, blacks and whites in the South eat the SAME thing, but a MAJORITY of blacks in OTHER regions of the US have original ancestry in the Southern US, as apposed to MOST Whites in other regions who's US ancestry were originally from those regions. Example: ALOT of older blacks in NYC, LA, CHI, etc have roots or were born in the South, and you can still here there accents and probably moved to these areas in the Great Migration. Whereas ALOT of Whites and older Whites in those same regions were originally from there and can trace there ancestries in those regions since before the 20's or before The Great Migration of blacks. So don't be surprised if you can find GREAT Soul Food joints in NYC, LA, CHI, etc. Los Angeles will most likely have Texas and Louisiana type Soul Food(like Creole joints), while NY will prob have more GA, NC, inspired Soul Food, according to the migration patterns of the blacks to other states(blacks in the Eastern South migrated to NY, while blacks in the Western South, migrated to Cali.)
Great points and some of the best Soul Food I've had was in Auburn NY from a guy who's family moved to that city from SW Georgia back in the early 50's.

People forget about Sylvia's in Harlem, as she is originally from SC. Even here in Syracuse, we have a place called Ruby's which is alright, but you could just go to a family gathering for some good Soul Food here. You can find a soul food restaurant in pretty much any city of a decent size in NY State and sometimes they might also serve Caribbean food too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City