Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:09 PM

151 posts, read 300,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
NYC is probably one of the most homophobic cities with the exception of transplants and Manhattan.
I'm not sure this is an example of NYC homophobia because .

1. I've heard a few people rehearsing that same ridiculous "chant" at a Yankees game towards the rival team.

2. Those people look typical Long Island. I'll bet anything they don't live in NYC.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 PM

151 posts, read 300,589 times
And to answer the question.

I'm assuming "feminine males" = good looking guys who take care of themselves and like nice things.

In that case.

1. Manhattan
2. LA's Westside
3. Miami Beach
4. Certain sections of Boston
5. SF Peninsula

Internationally -- ALL cities in Western Europe. Europeans have better taste than Americans in general.

And Tokyo, Sydney.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:28 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Could anyone guess what city has lots of masculine women?
One time I was working a gig with a band in some bar in San Antonio, Texas. Standing next to me was this cute little Mexican girl about 4'11" tall. When she pulled the pop top off her can of beer, it broke off in her fingers. Without skipping a beat she reached down her shirt, pulled a Buck folding knife out of her bra, flicked it open and, in one fluid motion, pried the top off the can of beer and took a sip. I wouldn't say she was really masculine but I definitely was impressed with her can-do attitude.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:11 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee. View Post

I'm assuming "feminine males" = good looking guys who take care of themselves and like nice things.

In that case.

1. Manhattan
2. LA's Westside
3. Miami Beach
5. SF Peninsula

Internationally -- ALL cities in Western Europe. Europeans have better taste than Americans in general.

And Tokyo, Sydney.
That's one way to look at it!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:22 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Thanks for all the links. Honestly, I think the question of what city has the most feminine men is almost impossible to determine. Just like it is impossible to determine what city has manly women. Could anyone guess what city has lots of masculine women?
It is a weird question. I often like to play weird questions "straight" because I find it fun and funny to do so. Also you might learn something doing it that way.

There does seem to be some traits that are more likely to be female than male. Studies seem to indicate that women are more likely to be "super-tasters", people with a very strong sense of taste and maybe also smell. Women on average are also better at multitasking and reading emotions by facial expression. However I'm not sure there is anyway to know what cities have men who are good at reading faces, multitasking, and have a highly developed sense of taste.

Possibly a town where many of the men are talented at either gourmet cooking or poker would be "feminine", even if both occupations are traditionally male, going on the "feminine traits" deal. I suppose a more stereotypical thing, that I think still has some backing in studies, is that women are more egalitarian and verbally-oriented. A city where the men speak in proper grammar and place high value on equality might therefore fit that and stereotypes of feminine. Although that would seem to imply a Left-wing male English teacher, as the Left is generally more focused on egalitarianism, is in some sense feminine whereas that is not necessarily my experience.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

In that case.

1. Manhattan
2. LA's Westside
3. Miami Beach
5. SF Peninsula

And Tokyo, Sydney.

This list makes some sense, I would also throw soe areas of DC in to the mix

For whatever reason more cosmopolitan and less blue collar will probably offer more of the vibe. But i will also say there are men with some more feminine qualities that still can be masculine. I think the vibe has more to do social interactions

This comes from someone from a basically blue collar transitional background (somehow my father ended up with an Ivy league education from a immigrant blue collar family) - i know in certain setting I need to tone some of roughness down. But I see this moreso in urban cosmopolitan areas. At first this seemed weak, but do see more can be from a bit of refinement, though no stereo-type is completely true (or maybe completely untrue for that mater)

Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This list makes some sense, I would also throw soe areas of DC in to the mix

For whatever reason more cosmopolitan and less blue collar will probably offer more of the vibe. But i will also say there are men with some more feminine qualities that still can be masculine. I think the vibe has more to do social interactions

This comes from someone from a basically blue collar transitional background (somehow my father ended up with an Ivy league education from a immigrant blue collar family) - i know in certain setting I need to tone some of roughness down. But I see this moreso in urban cosmopolitan areas. At first this seemed weak, but do see more can be from a bit of refinement, though no stereo-type is completely true (or maybe completely untrue for that mater)
I remember drawing all kind of stares in LA just for spitting on the ground. Like it was this huge faux pas or something. I didn't even spit right on the sidewalk, I was in the middle of an intersection crossing the street, but you would have thought I committed a hate crime or something the way people reacted to it. I step over bums and puddles of puke on Brady St. on a daily basis, so I guess I didn't see the big deal with spitting in the road. Very strange.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,516,600 times
My guess is that outside of certain areas of cities/metros, that Midwest and Southern cities have less feminine males than coastal cities due to culture. The reason is traditional gender roles are stronger ingrained in the culture and more blue-collar jobs which are nearly by definition more manly.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:26 PM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
No it's not.

This topic has nothing to do with homosexuality but this video is embarrassing and not representative of the city. Five low-class hooligans babbling is not representative of the 8.4M people who reside in NYC

We could find similar youtube videos of people spewing homophobia in San Francisco, LA or Miami...even Portland.
The micks and ginnies in NY are some of the biggest homophobes in the country for sure. They will even call inanimate objects names having to do with sucking on franks and being a certain word they will say it every two seconds.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:32 PM

648 posts, read 1,617,992 times
Quote:
I'm not sure this is an example of NYC homophobia because .

1. I've heard a few people rehearsing that same ridiculous "chant" at a Yankees game towards the rival team.

2. Those people look typical Long Island. I'll bet anything they don't live in NYC.
How do they look Long Island? They are a bunch of homophobic micks and ginnies from NY/NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City