Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Is that a real question on mick and guinea?

Slang for Irish "mick" and Italian "guinea" this is an everyday part of vocabulary, at least in the NE

Old 08-01-2010, 08:56 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Is that a real question on mick and guinea?

Slang for Irish "mick" and Italian "guinea" this is an everyday part of vocabulary, at least in the NE
Well I'm not from the NE. But that would make sense...

Old 08-01-2011, 08:45 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
What are the cities in which males have the most feminine qualities. I have noticed this trend among the U.S. male population.

Rank them in order from most to least.

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Houston
Phoenix
Philadelphia
San Antonio
Dallas
San Diego
San Francisco
Denver
Portland
Seattle
Milwaukee
DC
Boston
Atlanta
Miami
Grapico, I'm interested in discussing this thread more and decided to bump it.

I have bolded the top 5 most feminine cities among male population in order of most feminine.

1. San Francisco (quite easily)
2. Portland
3. Los Angeles
4. San Diego
5. Seattle

Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 PM

225 posts, read 755,214 times
Generally speaking, I would guess that the cities on (or near) the coasts would have more men with feminine traits than cities in the south or the midwest. That said, however, Atlanta and Miami tend to stand out as cities I would consider to be feminine. Miami though, is technically on the east coast. Chicago seems to also be up there.

All of the cities that I perceive to have men with more feminine traits are cities which are progressive, have a strong appreciation and support for the arts (theatre, symphony orchestra, dance, museums, etc.), and have a high quality of life. Usually they are on the coasts, except for Chicago and Atlanta.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Grapico, I'm interested in discussing this thread more and decided to bump it.

I have bolded the top 5 most feminine cities among male population in order of most feminine.

1. San Francisco (quite easily)
2. Portland
3. Los Angeles
4. San Diego
5. Seattle

Good list, I would replace LA with Orange County tho.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:52 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,394,193 times
All of the places except for five are very and equally metro sexualized in my book (BTW - the "do you know how to change your own oil" test is spot on):
Milwaukee
San Antonio
Philly
San Diego
Phoenix

Interestingly what these 5 places have in common is they are all throw backs to an era when lots of middle class people still lived in the larger, typically coastal, or if not coastal, blue/purple county inland, metro areas.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,709 times
Milwaukee metro sexual? In what sense? There's nothing metro sexual about a 200 pound man with a goatee, pakers jersey, with a hunk of fake cheese on his head.

Milwaukee is still very much-meat and potatos. Not manicure, latte, and Iphone facebook time, like yuppie SF.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:30 AM

225 posts, read 755,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Milwaukee metro sexual? In what sense? There's nothing metro sexual about a 200 pound man with a goatee, pakers jersey, with a hunk of fake cheese on his head.

Milwaukee is still very much-meat and potatos. Not manicure, latte, and Iphone facebook time, like yuppie SF.
Oh come on...you mean none of those 200-pound men in Packer's jerseys wearing cheeseheads don't go to hair stylists to have their grey goatees trimmed, groomed and dyed to make them look attractive? LOL!

Seriously though, I think that the only quasi-metrosexual area of Milwaukee would have to be the 3rd Ward, and maybe the East Town area.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowtownCO View Post
All you did was list the 15 or so largest cities in America. Just being a large city doesn't make it a feminine city. In what way is Denver more "feminine" than Seattle or Boston? Denver is, in fact, probably the manliest big city in the country. It's a football town, has one of the highest concentrations of trucks and SUVs, has a western cowboy sort of culture and ambiance, and has the wild west in its backyard with hunting, fishing, and hiking (and most men take advantage of at least one of those activities regularly).

Seattle, on the other hand, has lattes.

Please. Denver is manlier than every city on that list, with the very possible exception of San Antonio, which has an enormous military population.
Seattle actually has strong blue-collar roots - it was a town built on Boeing, after all. Of course, it's become more yuppie over the last couple of decades, but you don't have to go too far out to get to more blue-collar areas. For example, Everett and Tacome are both within 30 minutes of Seattle, and guys there tend to have much more macho, working class mentalities.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:42 AM

381 posts, read 861,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
So most "metrosexual"? Uh, it's gotta be a Miami, LA or San Fran of the world......somewhere where fashion is king and looks are overly important. I know, some of you think this can apply anywhere, but in my experience at least LA and SF are more concerned with fashion or looks than say, Detroit or Phoenix.
Actually, I'd say people in Phoenix are more concerned with looks (at least, of the Ken/Barbie variety) than people in SF, by a long shot. Phoenix always feels like it's trying hard to become a part of Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City