Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best quality of life & brightest future?
Fort Worth 109 40.98%
Memphis 18 6.77%
Kansas City 77 28.95%
St. Louis 62 23.31%
Voters: 266. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:46 AM

976 posts, read 2,243,434 times

Advertisements

i am actually from philadelphia.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i am actually from philadelphia.
*gasp*

A Northerner who thinks a sunbelt city is bland, and unlivable? What a shock!

Quote:
fort worth (and most of texas, for that matter) is pretty awful. trucks, hummers, highways, blandness, cowboy culture, country music, irritating accents, soulless new buildings, low density, zero walkability, and no hometown flavor whatsoever. everyone is from somewhere else. i'll take the most urban of the options...saint louis easily.
I don't know ya, but this kind of talk usually comes from either people who just pass through on a highway, using the only time spent out the car pumping gas....

OR

Some snotty Dallasite who has waaaaaaaaaay too much pride for his city and degrades all other Texas cities for his or her own town's benefit.

From this, I gotta say:

-What's wrong with the Cowboy Culture? It's a Texas city. That's it's heritage. What's wrong with a city embracing it's heritage?
- Irritating accents....? Really? I've been to the Northeast. I don't wanna hear that from someone from the Northeast.
- Fort Worth is VERY walkable. Especially compared to most southern cities. Obviously, you haven't been to Downtown or Trinity Park or Gateway Park or W. 7th.....
- "Soulless New Buildings".....? You're just thinking of Dallas, aren't you? (sorry, couldn't resist). Fort Worth has a great mix of old and new buildings side by side with their own histories and stories.
- No hometown flavor....? Again, you must not have been here that long, IF you ever where here. There's alot of city pride here. And we embrace who we are and where we are. Hell, alot of us get into fights when we here, "Fort Worth is apart of of Dallas".
And finally
- "Everyone is from somewhere else". . . . . . well, that means that people from the rest of the country are MOVING HERE...... so, how is that a bad thing? lol

Look, I don't wanna offend anybody here. Every city has something that sets it apart. While I wouldn't choose St. Louis, I could understand why people would. Everyone has a choice. But don't think for one second that St. Louis could EASILY be a first choice over any one of the other cities listed.

Also, keep in mind that it's not what a city has that makes it. It's the people IN the city that makes it. And I couldn't imagine Fort Worth without everyone I know.....

Last edited by JJG; 08-17-2010 at 06:24 PM..

Old 08-17-2010, 06:22 PM
JJG

Besides, the question was:

"Which city do you prefer as far as quality of life, jobs, amenities, outdoor activities, attractions, etc?"

It may just be me homering, but I honestly don't see how Fort Worth wouldn't be #1 in all categories.

Well, maybe.... MAYBE outdoor activities I'd give to one of the others. Maybe.

This city is growing. And it's gonna get its chance to shine soon enough......

Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
this is ignorant and ill-informed. ALL of these cities are loaded with history and culture. and Ft. Worth will soon be larger than St. Louis ever was. St. Louis was clearly once a great American city, one of the largest and most influential. that hasn't been the case for decades and your city has become one of the poster cities for american urban decline. i'm not bashing st. louis, just, get some perspective.
Also in the last decade St. Louis has been seen by more people as a model of urban renewal.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
1. St. Louis
1b. Kansas City
3. Fort Worth
4. Memphis

Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM

77 posts, read 171,744 times
1. KC
2. St. Louis
3. Ft. Worth
4. Memphis

Old 08-20-2010, 02:07 PM

41 posts, read 117,289 times
Fort Worth is a miserable place to live (in my opinion) It just was not meant for me or anyone similar to me. Memphis is a beautiful city with more trees, history, and culture than all the other cities combined. You cannot disagree unless you have actually lived there. I lived in the suburb of Bartlett which was about 15 minutes walking distance to Memphis. It was a beautiful tree filled historic district that could not compare to anything I've witnessed since. Texas was a harsh contrast to this and is just not meant for people who can appreciate trees, history, and diversity. That being said we all know how big, and fantastic Texas is, or I guess in the opinions of Texans solely.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:10 PM

41 posts, read 117,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Lots and lots of job growth/opportunity, low cost of living, decent weather, part of the 4th largest metro area in the US, etc. I love urbanity and historic character as much as the next person, but just because your city was one of the nation's largest in 1850 and has a lot of old houses doesn't help get the bills paid, doesn't ensure a decent education for one's children, etc.
Oh my... that is EVERY Texan's mentality. You're all missing out I hope you know that. There are PLENTY of places to live that hold those same characteristics that can get you out of such a monotonous depressing region.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:15 PM

190 posts, read 430,531 times
i lol'd

Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastdallasson View Post
i lol'd
Actually, same here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City