Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your pick.
Houston 60 52.17%
Minneapolis 55 47.83%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:30 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, which city do you think is better..according to the criteria?

Shopping:
Scenery:
Econemy:
Skyline:
Schools:
Housing Prices:
Universities:
Climate/Weather:
Public Transit:
Traffic:
Suburbs:
Better Location:
Art Scene:
Music Scene:
Airport:
Scenery:
Better Vibe(To you):
the one you choose:

Thanks in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,695 times
Shopping: Twin Cities
Scenery: Twin Cities
Econemy: Houston?
Skyline: Twin Cities
Schools: Twin Cities
Housing Prices: Twin Cities
Universities: Twin Cities
Climate/Weather: Twin Cities
Public Transit: Twin Cities
Traffic: Twin Cities
Suburbs: Twin Cities
Better Location: Twin Cities
Art Scene: Twin Cities
Music Scene: Twin Cities
Airport: Toss up
Scenery: Twin Cities
Better Vibe(To you): Twin Cities
the one you choose: Minneapolis

In all honesty, I prefer Minneapolis over Houston. I feel it wins in every category except economy and perhaps the airport size. It is one of the most educated cities in the country and has an excellent transit system. I love all the lakes and rivers of the Twin Cities and prefer the skyline over Houston's. It's location near the Great Lakes wins over Houston's location on the Gulf. It has a much better cultural scene and is the third largest theater city outside of NYC and Chicago. I prefer it's affluence as well. While their climates can be similar, Minneapolis get's the snow and Houston doesn't. Also, the fall colors of the trees are some of the best in the country, outside of Boston and the Northeast of course. Overall, Minneapolis.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:57 PM
N69

75 posts, read 84,428 times
I'll take Houston over the Twin Cities, while the Twin Cities are nice and the weather is more of what I am used to, I cant think of many areas where they take it over Houston. Houston has one of the best ballet scenes in the world and the city of New York even made an investment in it just a few years ago to build a better dance studio. It has one of the best theater scenes in the country, its a larger city and has more access to amenities I like. Houston also has a wonderful zoo which is often at times rated as one of the best in the nation and the museum district is also one of the most visited and the Menil Collection are some of the most jewel artifacts in the entire south, the city has the best art scene among major cities in the south. I prefer the music scene of the Twin Cities more than the music scene of Houston though, its hard to argue with Prince and other legendary musicians from the Twin Cities.

Galveston which is in Metro Houston has beaches and has a charm of a quint small southern town on an island, its like a mini Charleston. The beaches can vary where you go on quality, a lot of them have subpar water quality but some are good also. Houston also ranges over a vast expanse of area where you can also enjoy lake activities in its 3 major lakes. I also prefer the scene of Houston more, there is more money to go around and you'll be hard struck to not see affluent supercars or wealth in Houston, especially in the uptown district. Its one of the cities where I see some of the most exotic cars and it makes sense seeing as how Houston has more millionaires, billionaires, and wealth than the Twin Cities. I also prefer Houston's main skyline more and its multiple skylines, all are large and tall and condo towers give off a beautiful scene of the city from the top. Houston loses out on walkability but makes up for it with its better designed street network.

Its mostly run on preference, many can choose Boston over D.C. and many will do the opposite so the same rule applies here. Twin Cities are fabulous for what they are but the location and isolation is just to much for me. Paying no state income tax and raking the benefit of living in an area of 6 million and up and saving my wealth just speaks louder to me.

Last edited by N69; 09-05-2011 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 03:03 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,062,127 times
Shopping: I would think the Houston area has more upscale shopping as it's almost twice the size as the Twin Cities area. However, if you're just an average Joe, you can find everything you need in both. That being said, who cares.

Scenery: Both have decent scenery.

Economy: Both are full of large corporations. The Twin Cities area has a lower unemployment rate, but the Houston area has a much larger GDP.

Skyline: I would hope a prominent city of 2.1 million people would have a better skyline than a city 385,000.

Downtown Area: Minneapolis

Schools: Minneapolis

Housing Prices: Houston

Universities: Twin Cities

Climate/Weather: one might like the heat while another enjoys colder weather so, tie

Public Transit: Twin Cities

Traffic: Twin Cities

Suburbs: don't care

Better Location: neither

Art Scene: I'm pretty sure the Twin Cities can hold their own against Houston, but I'm not sure.

Music Scene: I dig the music that has come out of the Twin Cities (past and present).

Airport: in terms of what?

Better Vibe(To you): not sure

the one you choose: the Twin Cities

Last edited by BlackOut; 09-05-2011 at 03:12 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 03:09 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Shopping: Houston
Scenery: MSP
Econemy:Houston
Skyline: Houston
Schools: Houston
Universities: Houston
Climate/Weather: Prefer Houston, but this is very subjective
Public Transit: depends on how you look at it
Traffic: MSP
Suburbs: Houston
Better Location: Houston by mile. Centrally located Coastal Port city- much better logistics.
Art Scene: Houston by a mile. Huge award winning Theater district, huge Museum district. Highly visited
Music Scene: Houston
Airport: IAH/ Hobby/ Ellington combo for the win.
Better Vibe(To you): Houston's diversity suits me better
the one you choose: definitely Houston

Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Shopping: Houston
Scenery: MSP
Econemy:Houston
Skyline: Houston
Schools: Houston
Universities: Houston
Climate/Weather: Prefer Houston, but this is very subjective
Public Transit: depends on how you look at it
Traffic: MSP
Suburbs: Houston
Better Location: Houston by mile. Centrally located Coastal Port city- much better logistics.
Art Scene: Houston by a mile. Huge award winning Theater district, huge Museum district. Highly visited
Music Scene: Houston
Airport: IAH/ Hobby/ Ellington combo for the win.
Better Vibe(To you): Houston's diversity suits me better
the one you choose: definitely Houston
Minneapolis' theater district is larger and much more concentrated. It's the third largest theater city outside of NYC and Chicago.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:19 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.D. Calif View Post
Minneapolis' theater district is larger and much more concentrated. It's the third largest theater city outside of NYC and Chicago.
So we've heard...

Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Sorry But Houston's is the 2nd largest Theater district outside of NY. and it has companies that won Emmys, Tonys and Grammys.

Last I checked 2nd is bigger than 3rd.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM
N69

75 posts, read 84,428 times
Quote:
That depends on what you mean. Houston for example has more theater seats than every city other than New York and it isn't a case of "quantity with no quality" either. In cultural offerings Houston has both quality and quantity compared to its peers and rivals.

For example the Houston Grand Opera which performs in Houston's theater district is the only opera in the entire country have have won all 3 major awards which include a Emmy, Grammy, and a Tony. That along with Houston's theater district being one of the only 5 cities in the country with permanent professional companies in opera, orchestra, alley theater, and ballet.

However I digress, Minneapolis is also one of the best in the country and neither theater districts have anything to be ashamed of compared to anywhere else and both are top contenders in the nation. You simply cant go wrong in cultural offerings of either city, Houston likely with Nashville and New Orleans has the best cultural offerings in the south while Minneapolis does alongside Chicago in the midwest.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:25 PM

252 posts, read 493,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
So we've heard...
Could it be that you are out to start something? After all, this is somewhat of an odd comparison considering the major population difference between the two and the fact that the Houston area is a tier above the Minneapolis area. Whatever the case, I got $10 on the Twin Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City