U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,861,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Funny, because everyone in this thread is getting a chubby at the thought of having 10-20 million people without the implications on quality of life. That's why I say "here, have a few million" Once you guys reach 10-15 million, then you'll see exactly what I mean.

I just WISHED California's population was actually declining. Maybe it will wake our public officials up and actual get stuff done, instead of sitting on their hands doing this:

But hey, whatever gets to you guys at the end of the day. Just remember that LA and NY both have millions of people in their MSA, and yet people still leave. Population growth isn't the be all, end all. And you can't grow forever.
You exaggerate, here in France we're 64 millions, and it's ok..So many spaces, land, trees...And France is smaller than Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:15 AM

13,095 posts, read 13,603,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Man, ever since Rita, Beaumont has just been stagnating and stagnating. Nowadays, it's like a larger Lake Charles, without the gambling. Some new life needs to be pumped into that area.
Beaumont has stagnated for a while now. Even before Rita. It's just not a very popular area for growth.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
In the foreseeable future I know Fort Worth will eventually surpass Dallas in population. Its just a matter of when, not if.
No it's a matter of if. Fort Worth won't be passing Dallas in our lifetimes. Not to mention that Dallas grew faster than Fort Worth in raw numbers in 2009.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:18 AM

12,246 posts, read 12,344,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Beaumont has stagnated for a while now. Even before Rita. It's just not a very popular area for growth.
Beaumont is definitely not as popular as other places in East Texas like Tyler, Longview, & even Lufkin/Nacogdoches.

In fact, I see Tyler & Longview merging into one decent sized metro here pretty soon much like Beaumont/Port Aurthur.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
unfortunately, yes. austin is nice. san antonio is tolerable. dallas is has its merits. still waiting to find something positive about houston. i really don't mean to be a troll, i just saw the subject and felt compelled to chime in. i can appreciate that everyone has different taste in where they live, which is fine. houston just isn't my bag.
Fair. Have you spent any significant time in Houston, though?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 AM

10,180 posts, read 4,022,466 times
Quote:
No it's a matter of if. Fort Worth won't be passing Dallas in our lifetimes. Not to mention that Dallas grew faster than Fort Worth in raw numbers in 2009.
I think overall I'm with you on this one. With some mixed feelings, but I know it's not going to be happening anytime soon, no where in the near 25-30 years at least.

But on sheer numbers, it did out do Dallas:

^ From that Dallas & El Paso are the odd ball left out cities from that list.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Ha, Philly's saving grace is that it is being propped up by NY and DC.

Without them it would be going the way of Detroit, Baltimore, Buffalo
That's pretty much wrong. Philadelphia has a strong economy and is now starting to signs of growth. It is different from Baltimore and not in the same league as Detroit or Buffalo.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
I think overall I'm with you on this one. With some mixed feelings, but I know it's not going to be happening anytime soon, no where in the near 25-30 years at least.

But on sheer numbers, it did out do Dallas:

^ From that Dallas & El Paso are the odd ball left out cities from that list.
Yeah Fort Worth experienced the type of growth that Dallas saw 30-40 years ago. Like Dallas during that time, and considering that most of FW's growth is suburban, they will come to that point where they are like what's next. Dallas still has the potential to growth fast as it has a larger economy and it's more established as an urban area. Most of Dallas growth is urban at that nowadays.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,861,948 times
Why Dallas don't grow more ? It's an interesting city, with a good economy and in a populated area...I don't understand..

Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,086,202 times
Quote:
Yeah Fort Worth experienced the type of growth that Dallas saw 30-40 years ago. Like Dallas during that time, and considering that most of FW's growth is suburban, they will come to that point where they are like what's next. Dallas still has the potential to growth fast as it has a larger economy and it's more established as an urban area. Most of Dallas growth is urban at that nowadays.
To be honest, I wouldn't mind if Fort Worth surpassed Dallas if all Forth Worth was doing was adding suburban areas. Both cities need to focus more on urban, infill growth, and if that means that Dallas will grow more slowly than Fort Worth, well, that's fine too. Infill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City