Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,762,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And DFW is larger by over half a million people. That's a lot of people.
I know, I am just over reacting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Kind of surprised that the 5th largest metro in Texas is now McAllen instead of El Paso... been seeing it popping up on various lists top 10 growth lists, but it's hard to believe the "top 5" in TX are DFW/Houston/SA/Austin/McAllen instead of DFW/Houston/SA/Austin/El Paso.
I think part of the disconnect is in how these metros are made up. Both McAllen and El Paso's metros are just about tied now at 760,000, more or less. But El Paso, the city, is still 6th largest in Texas with some 620,00 people in 250 square miles. McAllen, however, is much smaller, with just 106,000 people in just 46 square miles. We have a case where the two metros are just about tied, but the main cities are quite separated. So which is the true ''Fifth City'' of Texas? (Of course, this gets even further moot cause Forth Worth is the fifth biggest city, but bundled up with Dallas, so, well, yea. Texas!)

Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
houston may be larger than phila now, but it will continue to suck long into the future. it's one of the most awful places i've ever visited.
You mad???

It's interesting that Houston started to distance itself from Atlanta due to the housing problem hurting Atlanta. It won't last long though as Atlanta is still very attractive.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:04 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Kind of surprised that the 5th largest metro in Texas is now McAllen instead of El Paso... been seeing it popping up on various lists top 10 growth lists, but it's hard to believe the "top 5" in TX are DFW/Houston/SA/Austin/McAllen instead of DFW/Houston/SA/Austin/El Paso.
Yeah, McAllen has been growing really fast this decade. The Rio Grande Valley now has well over one million people now. That's a lot of people living down there that the rest of the state (north of I-10), seem to forget about. Laredo isn't too far away from the Valley, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I think part of the disconnect is in how these metros are made up. Both McAllen and El Paso's metros are just about tied now at 760,000, more or less. But El Paso, the city, is still 6th largest in Texas with some 620,00 people in 250 square miles. McAllen, however, is much smaller, with just 106,000 people in just 46 square miles. We have a case where the two metros are just about tied, but the main cities are quite separated. So which is the true ''Fifth City'' of Texas? (Of course, this gets even further moot cause Forth Worth is the fifth biggest city, but bundled up with Dallas, so, well, yea. Texas!)
I'd still say McAllen is the biggest, since going by city limits don't show the true population of an area. For example, San Antonio is larger than Dallas (city limit wise), but DFW is like three times larger than the San Antonio area, so DFW feels a lot bigger.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
i'm not mad, just stating the obvious. philadelphia is more of a complete city than houston will ever be. congrats to houston on making the top 5-- your mind-numbing sprawl has finally paid off for you. they say everything's bigger in texas. i know that certainly applies to womens' bangs.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
lol. Killeen passed the Beaumont area. Funny to see.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
lol. Killeen passed the Beaumont area. Funny to see.
Man, ever since Rita, Beaumont has just been stagnating and stagnating. Nowadays, it's like a larger Lake Charles, without the gambling. Some new life needs to be pumped into that area.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:09 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Damn, Houston is catching up!
Actually I think the gap widened. wasn't it just a little bit less than 500K at the previous estimate?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 AM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I'd still say McAllen is the biggest, since going by city limits don't show the true population of an area. For example, San Antonio is larger than Dallas (city limit wise), but DFW is like three times larger than the San Antonio area, so DFW feels a lot bigger.
Good to know. I have only spent a minimal amount of time in McAllen (which was years ago) and have never been to El Paso, so I can't comment on which feels bigger. But I definitely agree that metro area is the way to go.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:16 AM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
i'm not mad, just stating the obvious. philadelphia is more of a complete city than houston will ever be. congrats to houston on making the top 5-- your mind-numbing sprawl has finally paid off for you. they say everything's bigger in texas. i know that certainly applies to womens' bangs.
And I wonder how much the ovious is going to be stated everytime someone brings up that Houston is the 5th largest metro.

All this time, we've just kept expanding to go up on the census lists. Have you heard, Houston is going to annex the rest of the 9,400 sq miles the metro consists of, so that it can become the second largest city. THEN, we'll make everybody in Texas AND Louisiana commute to Houston, so that they'll be part of our MSA, and thus complete our quest to become the largest MSA in the nation!!!!

Its just a title, nothing concrete comes from this abstract rank, its not like we magically add city amenities, and become more urban than Philadelphia, or a better city then the rest of the metros.

Personally I don't care, but it is funny seeing all these Philly people cry over how they get screwed in the census, "how come ____ is not in our MSA!!" Get over it, nothing important, doesn't take anything away from Philly other than a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City