Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
There is no mistruth in that statement?

My only snafu in the initial post was to not take the historical oil price data back 40 years instead of just 15.

Houstons rise as an economic engine and the rise in oil prices is perfectly symmetrical.

As I mentioned in 1960 when oil was $15 a barrel Houston was a mid major,struggling metro, completely off the radar nationally. Fast forward to 2010 with Oil at $85-$140 a barrel Houston is argualy the strongest economic metro in the country.

50 years ago Houston was a complete non factor on a national scale. It was a state/regional anchor at best.

Big Oil has changed all that. To the detriment of the country as a whole.
WTF does any of that matter??? It's 50 years later and Houston is a very much different city than it once was. Why can't you just be happy for other cities instead of being bitter and annoying about BS.

Damn, it's 2010, but yet your still reflecting on ancient **** that is irrelevant to anything going on today. We all know what Houston was in the PAST. It's a new era; get over it.

Yes it would be great if America as a whole was thriving and Philadelphia was seeing similar growth to the sunbelt; hell, the sunbelt would love it because as we all know; this type of growth we are experiencing isn't healthy.

Is there really any need to put down or downplay another cities success just to prove a point?? You and Kid really need to chill with all this crap because it's tired and old. We realize how Houston is and we don't need to be reminded of it everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownHomer View Post
There is no snafu in the statement that Houston just crawled out of the economic abyss.
hy·per·bo·le   /haɪˈpɜrbəli/ Show Spelled[hahy-pur-buh-lee] Show IPA
–noun Rhetoric .
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownHomer
You don't know what you are talking about. You are are still thinking that Houston's economy is still based on oil. In Fact by the time oil was ridiculously overpriced, Oil was not even a majority of Houston's economy.
This is an absolute ridiculous statement.

Houstons ecomony 20 years ago was 75% Energy based. Today it is still 51% based on upstream and downstream Energy. You would have to be delusional or ignorant not to see the correlation of increased regional wealth and increased out of control gougeful energy prices.

Take your head out of the sand. Where do you think Houstons wealth derived from? Farming? Tourism? Banking? Publishing? The great sauna-bath weather? Every successful metropolitan region has its own lineage of success. Houston, while it is beginning to diversify, owes its success first and foremost to the Energy sector .

If the big oil companies HQ's chose to relocate to say New Orleans over the past 50-60 years instead of Houston, Houstons economy would be a Shell http://eaglesphans.com/community/public/style_emoticons/default/bounce.gif (broken link)of what is today.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:56 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
1986- 85% of economy Oil & Gas
2010 (March)- 43% Energy (Oil, Gas, & Green Energy)

Last edited by DANNYY; 08-07-2010 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: Lol, put a % sign where the & sign was meant to be...

Old 08-07-2010, 09:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
WTF does any of that matter??? It's 50 years later and Houston is a very much different city than it once was. Why can't you just be happy for other cities instead of being bitter and annoying about BS.

Damn, it's 2010, but yet your still reflecting on ancient **** that is irrelevant to anything going on today. We all know what Houston was in the PAST. It's a new era; get over it.

Yes it would be great if America as a whole was thriving and Philadelphia was seeing similar growth to the sunbelt; hell, the sunbelt would love it because as we all know; this type of growth we are experiencing isn't healthy.

Is there really any need to put down or downplay another cities success just to prove a point?? You and Kid really need to chill with all this crap because it's tired and old. We realize how Houston is and we don't need to be reminded of it everyday.

I absolutely do not disparage Houston and if you look back have many good things to say (regardless of whether it is a city I would choose to live in). Yes I have a personal annoyance for certain census metrics and point out the overstatment of GDP growth indexed to inflation but have stated many times that regardless the economy is very good and is real dollars. Don't send unfounded crap and name calling where it is not deserved, frankly that insinuation pisses me off JLUKE

Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Why does it matter jlukes asks?

It matters because its part of the discussion on where Houstons relative recent wealth emanated from.

So when you have these Houston jackals coming on citydata and howling about how Houston is zooming by Detroit in wealth its only fair to give ones opinion why that is happening.Thats what Rainrock is doing, giving opinion that Houstons insatiable greed basically put Detroit and the midwest out of commission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke
Yes it would be great if America as a whole was thriving and Philadelphia was seeing similar growth to the sunbelt;
The region of Philadlephia had its growth period 200 years ago. The city iss pretty much maxed out. The suburbs of Philadlephia have no interest whatsoever of adding 1,000,000 people per decade.

Not here.

Just for the record I'm not even part of this discussion if it werent for the chest pounding by the Houston jackals.

SE Penn.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:43 AM

I don't think I've done anything to tick off any of the Philly posters here, and I've for the most part even agreed to the source of Houston's economic relevance. Not every poster from Houston is a jackal though, and I don't ever try to make the city look like something it is not. Because I don't have anything to gloat about, it's rather a place to live for me first and foremost, lol not to brag about.

And I do agree that HtownLove was taking the conversation a bit too far (which seems to be the ignition to this whole mess), again, for not only Philadelphia posters, but Houston posters too, and possibly Bay Area posters (18Montclair).

As for all the other points stated, I'm not a Houston poster or a Chicago poster out looking for trouble, so I'll leave it be and let those addressed (the Houston posters who have been quoted) handle their side of the argument from here on out.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:51 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Omg some people are trying to act like they are saints. Get off your high horse

Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 AM

I suppose you're talking about me. No I am not. There is absolutely nothing at all wrong with saying "yes, Houston derived economic relevance from oil & gas".

And not to be rude or anything, but many of the threads you are in, especially with the Philadelphia posters, you have a way to really get on their nerves because of your terminology, it is as if you are looking to start something with them.

And in reality it's posts like these:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Woooohooo for Texas

I was surprised at little Iowa too. Shame on big Cali and all their wind. I remember a couple of summers ago when they had energy shortages and we had to throw them a bone. Catch up California. You are the big dogs remember
I saw that post and I really wanted to comment but I resisted the urge to start a pointless debate over it. That is the first one that comes to mind. Then the ones in the America in 2050 with you and Kidphilly also come to mind. You pointlessly got him worked up trying to prove very irrelevant facts.

That kind of post basically asks someone from California to have a backlash and come out and bash Texas... in which case it would start a personal attack for personal attack type of debate.

There are many ways to make a point without saying things with terminology as so. And I have seen from many threads that I do find myself in that you have a way of getting other posters worked up whether they are Houston poster or outsiders too by the way you word things and come off.

I'm not the best poster either, but I do try to stay fair and I do try to keep my terminology and points to such that it won't get others worked up.

Once again, no disrespect on that though, I just wanted to share it because I've been keeping that point submerged to avoid problems. Just thought I let you know though. And I apologize if you thought I am singling you out or something, or attacking your persona in any way because that is not the intention, I'm just saying, please try to keep it to terminology that doesn't get others worked up.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:07 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
I will send you a pm Danny

Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownlove
Shame on big Cali and all their wind. I remember a couple of summers ago when they had energy shortages and we had to throw them a bone. Catch up California. You are the big dogs remember.
What a stupid and ignorant comment. Not to mention totally FALSE.

THIS. is what happened.

A few years ago, there were rolling blackouts because GREEDY TEXAS ENERGY COMPANIES(ENRON et al) decided to slow down electricity output just so they could pretend that there was a shortage, just so they could renew contracts with California for BILLIONS more than normal market rates.

That. Is what happened.

Oh and btw, Enron is now dead. What goes around comes around.

Now you can go back to pretending like ur ignoring me. LMFAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City