Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 04:34 AM

392 posts, read 1,067,666 times

Advertisements

My take:

Nightlife: Buffalo's bars staying open until 4:00 isn't quite enough to earn them a win here. Pittsburgh's bar scene is much better. The Strip and Station Square blow Chippewa Street right into Lake Erie. Not only that, but Buffalo is a VERY parochial city, and the bar crowd there reflects that. I have never had this problem in the 'Burgh.

Crime: Pittsburgh, hands down. I used to live in an area where I received Buffalo TV via cable...all you seemed to hear about on channels 2, 4, and 7 were the latest homicide(s) in Buffalo/NF, NY.

Things to do: Draw--Pittsburgh has the inclines, the Point, and the North Shore, whereas Niagara Falls is just a short drive north on I-180 from the Queen City.

Politics: They're ALL crooks.

Friendly people: Pittsburgh wins this one in a landslide. Just about EVERYONE I've met from Buffalo have been a rude, obnoxious, and self-indulgent bunch of people, while most of the folks I met living in Pittsburgh are still close friends to this very day (having moved from there in '08). When you leave, Pittsburghers wish you well and hold the door open for if/when you return, while Buffalonians slam that door shut, deadbolt it, and overall are just glad to be rid of you.

Food: This is quite honestly a draw. I love Pittsburgh's O-Fries, Primanti Bros., and pierogi; while I also love me a large Just Pizza, with some Mighty Taco for the ride home down I-90 from Buffalo.

Sports: The Steelers (don't get me wrong, I hate them with a passion) don't play home games at Penn State or in West Virginia, do they? Not to mention that the city of Buffalo has not had a championship team in ANY sport since the 1965 Bills. Sorry Buffalo...the Bisons don't count (but then again, many Pittsburghers are starting to say the same about the Pirates)... Not to mention that the Sabres and Lord Stanley are about as compatible as me and my ex-fiancee. PITTSBURGH!

Overall: Pittsburgh by a mile and the Bills will finish the season 2-14.

Last edited by badguykc; 11-18-2010 at 04:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 05:59 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
Buffalo wants what the Burgh has...nough said

Barbara Woodworth: City should follow Pittsburgh (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial-page/from-our-readers/my-view/article246695.ece - broken link)

Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badguykc View Post
My take:

Nightlife: Buffalo's bars staying open until 4:00 isn't quite enough to earn them a win here. Pittsburgh's bar scene is much better. The Strip and Station Square blow Chippewa Street right into Lake Erie. Not only that, but Buffalo is a VERY parochial city, and the bar crowd there reflects that. I have never had this problem in the 'Burgh.

Crime: Pittsburgh, hands down. I used to live in an area where I received Buffalo TV via cable...all you seemed to hear about on channels 2, 4, and 7 were the latest homicide(s) in Buffalo/NF, NY.

Things to do: Draw--Pittsburgh has the inclines, the Point, and the North Shore, whereas Niagara Falls is just a short drive north on I-180 from the Queen City.

Politics: They're ALL crooks.

Friendly people: Pittsburgh wins this one in a landslide. Just about EVERYONE I've met from Buffalo have been a rude, obnoxious, and self-indulgent bunch of people, while most of the folks I met living in Pittsburgh are still close friends to this very day (having moved from there in '08). When you leave, Pittsburghers wish you well and hold the door open for if/when you return, while Buffalonians slam that door shut, deadbolt it, and overall are just glad to be rid of you.

Food: This is quite honestly a draw. I love Pittsburgh's O-Fries, Primanti Bros., and pierogi; while I also love me a large Just Pizza, with some Mighty Taco for the ride home down I-90 from Buffalo.

Sports: The Steelers (don't get me wrong, I hate them with a passion) don't play home games at Penn State or in West Virginia, do they? Not to mention that the city of Buffalo has not had a championship team in ANY sport since the 1965 Bills. Sorry Buffalo...the Bisons don't count (but then again, many Pittsburghers are starting to say the same about the Pirates)... Not to mention that the Sabres and Lord Stanley are about as compatible as me and my ex-fiancee. PITTSBURGH!

Overall: Pittsburgh by a mile and the Bills will finish the season 2-14.
You forgot about Elmwood Village and Hertel Ave. too. Can't forget Allentown as well. So, Buffalo has more than just Chippewa Street.

Buffalo also has amusement parks close by and has a good arts scene, if you are into that. You also have communities on the Erie Canal close by too.

As for food, don't forget Beef on Weck and Buffalo Wings. There's plenty of Polish and Italian spots there as well.

While I can give you the crime aspect, Buffalo's is pretty much limited to certain parts of the city and a couple of areas in Niagara Falls.

I don't think the people in Buffalo are generally rude, but that can vary depending upon many factors.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:37 AM

41,943 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Buffalo is on Lake Erie.

Pittsburgh is not.

Buffalo wins.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Nightlife: Buffalo has an edge due to the 4am rule. However, Pittsburgh has a better nightlife scene (IMO). I'll give this one to Pittsburgh, because I'm not a 4am drinker.

Crime: Buffalo is worse in this category. Pitt wins here.

Things to do: I'm going to give this to Buffalo due to all that there is to do in the city, plus Niagara Falls, Canada, Niagara on the Lake, Lake Erie and proximity to Toronto.

Politics: I have no idea here (although I've heard the politics are terrible in Buffalo)

Friendly people: Draw - I found very friendly people in both places.

Food: I think this is probably a draw. I don't know Pitt's cuisine enough to compare it to what I know about Buffalo.

Sports: Pittsburgh by a long shot. 4 major league sports to 2, plus the Penguins are MUCH better than the lousy Sabres.

Weather: Pitt wins here. WAY too much snow in Buffalo.

Overall: I'm giving this one to Pitt, even though I love Buffalo. I believe that Pitt is doing so much better with its economy and cityscape. I think Pitt is more dynamic and will be in even better shape in 10 years. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where Buffalo will be in 10 years....it needs to stop bleeding its city population.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
As someone who has lived in both and trust me, I am not super fond of either city. I will give it my honest opinion.

Nightlife: Buffalo by a mile. I never felt like Pitt had one. Some local bars in some neighborhoods a few clubs in the district and that was it. BUffalo was ten times better in the nightlife department. Plus Buffalo has more attractive people. The club scene in Buffalo is on par with bigger cities. The bar scene, thanks to all of those colleges is darn near excellent. Walk down Elmwood ave on a friday in the fall semester. Bars everywhere and college kids everywhere. You walk on carson st. on the weekend and it's sort of dead. Oakland a little different, but does not seem to have a lot of packed bars. The bars that cater to the young crowd in Buffalo become packed. In Pittsburgh, they seemed kind of empty.

Crime: Pitt wins this. Buffalo is grittier and usually per rate has more crime. Although Pittsburgh's crime was getting worse a few years back, they have lowered it once again. Buffalo overall is just a more dangerous city.

Things to do: This one is tough. I didn't do the art scene in neither city. Buffalo seems to have more with the falls area, but if you took that away, I would give a slight edge to Pittsburgh. Both cities can be a bit boring. I guess any city can be.

Politics: Couldn't tell you. I know Buffalo police are corrupt as he ll. I think that Buffalo politics must be as well, since nothing seems to change. Pittsburgh would have to win this one.

Friendly people: This depends. I used to think Buffalo and still sort of do, but their not as friendly as I once remembered. I did not feel alot of love for Pitts friendliness either. Both cities can use help in this department. Draw. They both suck as far as friendliness goes. However, if we are talking dating scene, then Buffalo by a mile. Girls in Buffalo are both prettier and more outgoing. Where it seemed Pittsburgh was really reserved.

Food: Not even close. BUffalo by a mile. When I lived in Pittsburgh the one thing I noticed was that they did not have alot of family owned restaurants, etc. To many chains. Where as Buffalo was the opposite. They had very few chains and lots of great family owned restaurants.

Sports: Pittsburgh. Buffalo doesn't know how to win the big one. They always fall short, wheras Pittsburgh gets it done in that category. Buffalo used to compete at least, now they are finding themselves to be another Cincinnati or or Cleveland and now they can't even compete. Plus, the fear of constantly losing your football team to a more desirable Toronto has to feel great all the time.

Overall: I think these two cities are actually pretty opposite. Buffalo has more people per square mile, making it feel bigger when you are in it. Pitt seems a bit sleepy in many of its neighborhoods. Only downtown Pitt made it feel like you were in a big city. Buffalo is almost completely flat while Pitt is almost completely hilly.

Economy: They both aren't that good. But clearly Pittsburgh has outdone Buffalo in this department. In the last so many years, Pitt has really tapped into the health care industry, whereas Buffalo has become a sort of Collection agency city. Being that Buffalo has over forty companies that collect debt. It seems like their biggest employer.
I don't see that there is a clear winner or loser.

Last edited by supermanpansy; 11-18-2010 at 04:52 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 06:25 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
As someone who has lived in both and trust me, I am not super fond of either city. I will give it my honest opinion.

Nightlife: Buffalo by a mile. I never felt like Pitt had one. Some local bars in some neighborhoods a few clubs in the district and that was it. BUffalo was ten times better in the nightlife department. Plus Buffalo has more attractive people. The club scene in Buffalo is on par with bigger cities. The bar scene, thanks to all of those colleges is darn near excellent. Walk down Elmwood ave on a friday in the fall semester. Bars everywhere and college kids everywhere. You walk on carson st. on the weekend and it's sort of dead. Oakland a little different, but does not seem to have a lot of packed bars. The bars that cater to the young crowd in Buffalo become packed. In Pittsburgh, they seemed kind of empty.

Crime: Pitt wins this. Buffalo is grittier and usually per rate has more crime. Although Pittsburgh's crime was getting worse a few years back, they have lowered it once again. Buffalo overall is just a more dangerous city.

Things to do: This one is tough. I didn't do the art scene in neither city. Buffalo seems to have more with the falls area, but if you took that away, I would give a slight edge to Pittsburgh. Both cities can be a bit boring. I guess any city can be.

Politics: Couldn't tell you. I know Buffalo police are corrupt as he ll. I think that Buffalo politics must be as well, since nothing seems to change. Pittsburgh would have to win this one.

Friendly people: This depends. I used to think Buffalo and still sort of do, but their not as friendly as I once remembered. I did not feel alot of love for Pitts friendliness either. Both cities can use help in this department. Draw. They both suck as far as friendliness goes. However, if we are talking dating scene, then Buffalo by a mile. Girls in Buffalo are both prettier and more outgoing. Where it seemed Pittsburgh was really reserved.

Food: Not even close. BUffalo by a mile. When I lived in Pittsburgh the one thing I noticed was that they did not have alot of family owned restaurants, etc. To many chains. Where as Buffalo was the opposite. They had very few chains and lots of great family owned restaurants.

Sports: Pittsburgh. Buffalo doesn't know how to win the big one. They always fall short, wheras Pittsburgh gets it done in that category. Buffalo used to compete at least, now they are finding themselves to be another Cincinnati or or Cleveland and now they can't even compete. Plus, the fear of constantly losing your football team to a more desirable Toronto has to feel great all the time.

Overall: I think these two cities are actually pretty opposite. Buffalo has more people per square mile, making it feel bigger when you are in it. Pitt seems a bit sleepy in many of its neighborhoods. Only downtown Pitt made it feel like you were in a big city. Buffalo is almost completely flat while Pitt is almost completely hilly.

Economy: They both aren't that good. But clearly Pittsburgh has outdone Buffalo in this department. In the last so many years, Pitt has really tapped into the health care industry, whereas Buffalo has become a sort of Collection agency city. Being that Buffalo has over forty companies that collect debt. It seems like their biggest employer.
I don't see that there is a clear winner or loser.
Also, if you prefer "diversity", Buffalo wins. It has a legit Hispanic community, a higher Black percentage(city and metro) and a Native American community, on top of the groups Pittsburgh has.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 11-18-2010 at 06:33 PM..

Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,149,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, if you prefer "diversity", Buffalo wins. It has a legit Hispanic community, a higher Black percentage(city and metro) and a Native American community, on top of the groups Pittsburgh has.

Absolutely,

I thought about that after I wrote this. Buffalo has a very sizable latino community all throughout Buffalo and Pittsburgh was and is delegated pretty much black and white. Plus, Buffalo does have more black people per rate too. But the spanish difference is and was noticed right away. in fact I lived in areas in Buffalo that were very spanish. Upper west side, west side, etc.

Pittsburgh and Buffalo are so different in structure too. Buffalo is pretty easy to navigate. A lot of it's core run parallel to each other. Pittsburgh is all over the place. Nothing makes sense. I lived in a neighborhood, where I could go around the corner and I was in Little Italy, or go straight and I end up in the hood. Pittsburgh is very windy as a city. At first I really liked this, then it got annnoying. Commute times are so slow in Pitt. They did not build a good driving city. On the other hand, Buffalo is very quick and easy to navigate. I would say that nothing within the Buffalo borders takes more than about twenty minutes to get too. I lived on the Upper west side for years and I worked out in Lackawanna (a Northern suburb of Buffalo), I could practically get there in about twenty minutes. You can hop expressways and poof, your there. Buffalo always reminded me of a bigger Rochester or a Milwaukee. Milwaukee and Buffalo always seemed a better comparison for me. As I think Cincinnati would be a better comparison for Pittsburgh.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:55 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,134 times
Buffalo really stinks in the economics department, growth, which has a big impact on the way a city feels. Buffalo was far too blue collar for me upon my visits and seemed slightly out of touch with 2010.

Now Pittsburgh has the old school element going on as well, but seems much more modernized and economically viable. Pittsburgh' art institutions and museums blow Buffalo's out of the water.

I would say Pittsburgh has the best chance for success of the two cities and meets the criteria that I care about in a city.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,787 times
Default Enjoy tonight

~~~~~~~ WATCH NFL 2015 LIVE ONLINE ~~~~~~~~
GET NFL FULL SEASON PASS LIVE COVERAGE IN HD

********* WORLD BEST Enjoy LOW PRICE *********

LIVE NFL Network T.V = [url]https://tr.im/YlHJm[/url]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City