Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 11:47 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,847,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
Yeah it's only a little bit more than 1,000 away from Chicago's numbers. I can see it overtaking Chicago for 3rd largest Russian community in the USA. But I don't know if Chicago is more Russian immigration or not, supposedly Chicago's European immigration is supposed to be pretty good. Like Polish people and etc..

But Miami's numbers are impressive to be the 4th largest. When they get their economy to rebound I can see them overtaking Chicago.
And I thought Miami was nothing but Cubans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 11:48 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,972,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
And I thought Miami was nothing but Cubans.
No, who told you that?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:57 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,847,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
No, who told you that?
I was being sarcastic.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:41 AM

648 posts, read 1,614,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
It might be. City-Data says Bismarck has 7.7% being of Russian ancestry.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bismar...th-Dakota.html

Although mostly German the small town of Wishek, North Dakota is nearly 20% Russian.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Wishek-North-Dakota.html

Aberdeen, South Dakota is 5.9% Russian.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Aberde...th-Dakota.html

The small town of Eureka, South Dakota is again mostly German, but is 16.4% Russian.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Eureka-South-Dakota.html

I wonder if some of these are the Russian/German "Volga Mennonites"? (Maybe not as Hays, Kansas has plenty of "Volga Germans" but is not listed as very Russian)
Russian ancestry does not equal Russian. Is this ancestry or real Russian?

Old 08-08-2010, 10:47 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,615,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Are people of African ancestry not African? If so, we should get rid of the term African American.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Are people of African ancestry not African? If so, we should get rid of the term African American.
They are as African as I am African.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:33 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,213,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
They are as African as I am African.

So you...a person of Russian descent, are "as african" as someone who is actually of african descent? You know, as in their ANCESTORS were from AFRICA rather than from Russia? Right.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:38 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,431,589 times
I was born in Russia and grew up in DC and there was a pretty vibrant Russian community in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov
I can't stand the whole "you're not Russian unless you're totally fluent in Russian, read in Russian in your free time, and speak in Russian only to your Russian-only-speaking parents" attitude that I've come across a lot in the Russian-American community. How Russian someone is at least partially a function of their own choice. Some "ancestry-only" Russians choose to be only that, others choose to be more. For example, my parents aren't Russian cause I'm adopted, but I studied Russian as a kid, visited for many summers, mingled in the Russian-American community, and even studied at SPMU. I also have other Russians in my family through marriage. So I might only be ancestrally Russian, but I decided to become more culturally Russian as well.

And on a lighter note, I've met about 3 Russians total since moving to the Charlotte Area. Community not so much, lol.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 08-08-2010 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

So you...a person of Russian descent, are "as african" as someone who is actually of african descent? You know, as in their ANCESTORS were from AFRICA rather than from Russia? Right.

They are not African because they have never even had African citizenship. You can only be African, Russian, Italian etc etc if you were a) born there b) raised there and/or c) had citizenship for more of your life there than somewher else. I am not "of Russian descent," I am Russian American. Black Americans are Americans, not African Americans. Real African Americans are Africans who immigrated from Africa. I am Russian American. Americans just like to claim nationalities that they are not.

Last edited by RussianIvanov; 08-08-2010 at 06:55 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
No. African Americans are not African, they are North American. They are also Americans. They have no connection to Africa usually, with the exception of ancestors. My ancestors are from Europe. I would never call myself a European, as i am not from Europe, and am an American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City