U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:20 PM

2,636 posts, read 4,727,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
PA feels alot more laid back with more socio-economic equality. Jersey is not kind to the poor.
It should. The economic discrepancy is far closer in PA (I can't believe I'm getting drawn into a.......... PA discussion. Ugghhhh).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:32 PM

9,190 posts, read 28,433,222 times
I think it goes without saying that ANY stereotypical generalizations (including colorful descriptions) by anyone else will result in an infraction. Chill, people. Enough of that.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:30 PM

2,636 posts, read 4,727,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I wouldn't paint NJ's women with such a broad brush calling them "chunky"- NJ is one of the fittest states, GA is on the opposite end of that list- So you might as well rethink your whole post before we start talking realistically.
Go get em.......................... For some reason, people think they can throw any & every stereotype @ New Jersey & think it will stick.
BPerone is absolutely correct. NJ is far more fit than GA. It's also a far more educated population, with a greater per capita income, lower crime rate, lower teen pregnancy rate, ect, ect.
Keep pushing Atlanta, it's your only trump card.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:59 PM

2,585 posts, read 2,962,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Go get em.......................... For some reason, people think they can throw any & every stereotype @ New Jersey & think it will stick.
BPerone is absolutely correct. NJ is far more fit than GA. It's also a far more educated population, with a greater per capita income, lower crime rate, lower teen pregnancy rate, ect, ect.
Keep pushing Atlanta, it's your only trump card.
Isn't it all a matter of perspective? I'm a young, white, well travelled, physically fit male, not from Atlanta, and would not rather live anywhere other than where I live. Where I am, people are friendly, education is really pretty good, there is lots to do in terms of hiking, biking, kayaking, canoeing, live music, the south's oldest symphony orchestra, etc... I'm sure New Jersey is fine for some folks, but not me. People judge other communities so often by their own standards that I wonder if there is any recognition of diversity. Certainly not on CD. Come to Rome, and I'll show you what it's all about in Georgia outside of Atlanta. Open invitation. I'll even pick you up at Hartsfield.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:19 AM

540 posts, read 1,433,030 times
If it were just suburban and urban NJ versus suburban and urban GA (primarily speaking about the ATL metro area here) I would have to choose GA hands down. This is because of the affordability along with all of the amenities one can find in NJ that exist in the ATL metro area such as diversity, ethnic restaurants, upscale malls etc.

HOWEVER, this is not a real world comparison to compare the confines of NJ to the confines of GA because many people in NJ are very much connected to the neighboring cities of NYC and Philadelphia, which would be in the same state if NJ were anywhere near the size of GA in land area. The cultural offerings and job opportunities in these cities, the likes of which simply do not exist in the Atlanta area, are available to the residents of NJ who live within these metro areas.

It is not fair to compare a state much smaller in land area, such as NJ, to GA. It is necessary to look at the region surrounding NJ. One of NJ's greatest assets is its proximity to ANYTHING one could want:

World-Class cities with first-rate museums? - right next door
Atlantic Beaches? - an hour or two away
Shopping for the cheapest international or domestic flight? - Potentially 4 major airports to choose from
Want a weekend getaway to Boston or DC? - Hop in the car
Want Skiing during the winter - Drive to PA or NY or MA or VT

I would have to rate NJ higher than GA as a place to reside as a whole - despite the substantial COL difference.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 AM

5,257 posts, read 10,999,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
If it were just suburban and urban NJ versus suburban and urban GA (primarily speaking about the ATL metro area here) I would have to choose GA hands down. This is because of the affordability along with all of the amenities one can find in NJ that exist in the ATL metro area such as diversity, ethnic restaurants, upscale malls etc.

HOWEVER, this is not a real world comparison to compare the confines of NJ to the confines of GA because many people in NJ are very much connected to the neighboring cities of NYC and Philadelphia, which would be in the same state if NJ were anywhere near the size of GA in land area. The cultural offerings and job opportunities in these cities, the likes of which simply do not exist in the Atlanta area, are available to the residents of NJ who live within these metro areas.

It is not fair to compare a state much smaller in land area, such as NJ, to GA. It is necessary to look at the region surrounding NJ. One of NJ's greatest assets is its proximity to ANYTHING one could want:

Shopping for the cheapest international or domestic flight? - Potentially 4 major airports to choose from

I would have to rate NJ higher than GA as a place to reside as a whole - despite the substantial COL difference.
Great post- +1

Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 AM

7,607 posts, read 10,954,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post

This is an odd conclusion to come to when you juxtapose it against the fact that all the reasons you stated NJ wins is for being near other places that has great things that NJ doesn't have...

For Georgia using your criteria

World-Class cities with first-rate museums? Nothing on the size of grandeur in NYC in Georgia, but this thread isn't about what NYC has. We have great ones right here.

Atlantic Beaches? Uh, you do know Georgia is on the Atlantic coast, right?

Shopping for the cheapest international or domestic flight? Why choose from others when we have the biggest on planet Earth?

Want a weekend getaway to Boston or DC? How is this a bonus for NJ?

Want Skiing during the winter? For Georgia, go to North Carolina....

Anyway, not saying anything bad NJ but, it's really odd when people claim "well we're right next door to" as something that boosts them up. Yeah, it's nice and all but you don't get claim it since it isn't in NJ. That's like me saying I've got a better car than you (when I have a beat up Camry) because my neighbor has a Ferrari.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:58 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,724,292 times
Georgia by far. I hate cold weather and Georgia is a beautiful state. I particularly like coastal Georgia the most, the Golden Isles are beautiful.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:14 AM

5,257 posts, read 10,999,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
This is an odd conclusion to come to when you juxtapose it against the fact that all the reasons you stated NJ wins is for being near other places that has great things that NJ doesn't have...

World-Class cities with first-rate museums? Nothing on the size of grandeur in NYC in Georgia, but this thread isn't about what NYC has. We have great ones right here.

Shopping for the cheapest international or domestic flight? Why choose from others when we have the biggest on planet Earth?

Anyway, not saying anything bad NJ but, it's really odd when people claim "well we're right next door to" as something that boosts them up. Yeah, it's nice and all but you don't get claim it since it isn't in NJ. That's like me saying I've got a better car than you (when I have a beat up Camry) because my neighbor has a Ferrari.

Is it boosting really? NYC and Philly both border NJ and flood half their metros in NJ, it's not a boost, it's just reality (which seems to not be tolerated on CD)- PA and NY are huge states, yet NJ has better access to both Philly and NYC than the vast majority of NYS and PA- Realistically, access is what matters, not state boundaries.

NJ has the shore. It invented and perfected the boardwalk scene, while the rest of the nation tried to imitate it (including NYC and Orlando). It's the highlight of millions of NYers and Philadelphians summers. NJ offers plenty, and the shore is just one of many things NJ has to offer.

"A beat up camry"-- One of the wealthiest, most educated, fittest states? Really?? I understand that you're trying not to sound offensive, but there's a thick condescending tone throughout your whole post.

Atlanta is a bigger, more prominent city than any city in NJ, I'll give it that. But Hudson county (Jersey City, Hoboken, etc) is a little less than 1/3rd of the size in land area and has over 100K more people. To extend the area to match up with the size of ATL you'd have Manhattan to play with.. It's not a boost, it's the truth.

Basically, NJ's location is not something we're trying to use as "a boost", it's just something other states lack in comparison.

Last edited by BPerone201; 08-09-2010 at 01:26 AM..

Old 08-09-2010, 02:51 AM

3,012 posts, read 4,913,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Exactly is jersey seriously going to take the best of philly and the best of new york with every contestant they go against, Both of these cities are in different states from new jersey,clearly seperated by a body of water from both cities. I guess jersey is better than LA,london,chicago for this very reason also huh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City