Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,609,219 times

Advertisements

Manhattan is great place to be if you are young and single. With a family? Expensive and not much room. I was an only child, so it was manageable. When you are old? Again, it can also be great, but only if you have the money. My Mom lived in her apartment until she passed in her 70s, but she lived under rent control and had my Dad's pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 07:38 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,956,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Manhattan is great place to be if you are young and single. With a family? Expensive and not much room. I was an only child, so it was manageable. When you are old? Again, it can also be great, but only if you have the money. My Mom lived in her apartment until she passed in her 70s, but she lived under rent control and had my Dad's pension.
The only thing thats stopping me from living in Manhattan is the fact that I need to finish up undergrad first, then Columbia University for grad school and I am there. Goal set and done. I just hope there are some "not so" dense areas in Manhattan. (my ideal density would be 4,500-8,000 around there) That would be ideal.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,072,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
How about Cost of Living?
How about Natural Vegetation?
How about Ease of Transportation?
How about Friendliness?
How about Aesthetics?
How about Growth?
How about Faith?

By the way, there are areas within metro Atlanta that are on par, or better than New Jersey in the areas in which you mentioned. In fact, much better.
Ease of Transportation? I can only assume you mean non-public trans in which NJ is linked end to end.

But friendliness? Faith? Those are subjective. Much better areas than NJ? Okay, but according to whose criteria? (b/c North and South indeed make a difference)

NJ's higher COL is offset by its higher median income.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,766,021 times
Quote:
You're using city statistics.

According to my sources, Hudson County, NJ has 595,000 people. The city of Atlanta has about 530,000. That's only a 65,000 difference.
Yes, it's only a 65K difference, but land mass and accessibility is what I was comparing. Atlanta is nearly 3 times larger in land area than Hudson County. Saying that Hudson co "only" has a population 65K larger than ATL doesn't necessarily mean that's a slight difference if you were to look at the whole picture.

Quote:
Secondly, you may not know this, but the city of Atlanta has a large section called Buckhead, where over one-half of that community is filled with large, leafy lots containing mansions. Hence, if it were built to the density that is typical of the suburbs, you'd find that the city of Atlanta would easily have over 800,000.
Trust me, I HAVE HEARD OF BUCKHEAD, and I'm aware of it's wealth and job market, but as for the "It's possible for ATL to be over 800K" claim, that's just not what we're dealing with in reality. What's the logic in comparing something that "could be" when it's not in reality?

Quote:
Next, metro Atlanta is by far much larger than metropolitan NYC found in northern New Jersey.

NYC metro
http://i663.photobucket.com/albums/uu354/PeroneFrmJrsy/map_ny_tri-state_rev.gif?t=1281577042 (broken link)

ATL metro

"Far Larger" is vague- I'll do the elaborating for you..
NYC msa- 6,720 Sqmi/19 million pop
ATL msa- 8,376 sqmi /6 million pop

3,469 Square miles of NJ are apart of the NYC MSA- 52% Of the NYC metro area flows into New Jersey..
Going by population, about 6.5 million people live within the NYC MSA in New Jersey. The NYC msa in NJ alone has a larger population than the entire Atlanta MSA.

How about looking it up before you start making false claims.

Quote:
Stop playing the ridiculous argument using the arbitrary figures to compare Hudson County to the city of Atlanta. Fulton County, where Atlanta is located, has over one million people, while Hudson County has far less. Then you have have Gwinnett County which has around 850,000, and both Dekalb and Cobb with over 700,000, followed by many other counties with fairly large populations.
Fulton county is 534 Square miles.
Hudson County is 47 square miles....
^^ What a logical comparison

I don't understand why people never take land area into consideration when comparing population numbers- Without the knowledge of one or the other you can find yourself making a useless point.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
How about Cost of Living?
How about Natural Vegetation?
How about Ease of Transportation?
How about Friendliness?
How about Aesthetics?
How about Growth?
How about Faith?
COL (1 best/50 worst)
GA- 11
NJ- 45

The COL reflects quality of life (education, crime, poverty rates, etc), access, and LOCATION- So it depends on what you're looking for.

Natural Vegetation:
6. Georgia: 64.2%
24. New Jersey: 39.5%

Ease of Transportation:

NJ has one of the busiest and most reliable public transportation system in the nation. I don't need to look up a statistic.
A posted has already compared NJT to MATRTA-- Go check for yourself if you don't believe me.

I covered growth, did you not see?

Faith? That's vague, but since you're curios:
NJ- 64% Christian
GA- 61% Christian

Quote:
By the way, there are areas within metro Atlanta that are on par, or better than New Jersey in the areas in which you mentioned. In fact, much better.
How so? And what towns specifically?
I'm not saying the ATL msa doesn't have any, but I can already see by the way you said this that you know very little about NJ to go that far.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,918,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Ummm, you realize that based on the stats that you posted, 9 Million, of Georgia's 9.5 Million, are either black or white? That's pretty black and white, LOL!! About as black and white (and non-diverse) as you can get, actually!
I guess math wasn't your strong suit in school...

In Georgia in 2008

5,181,714 were "White" alone (this includes Europeans)
2,824,572 were "Black" alone (this includes Africans)
266,911 were Asian alone
729,604 were Hispanic
124,395 were biracial of any two or mores "races"

Of all people combined above, 873,670 Georgians were Foreign born. Neither list includes an accurate count of those here illegally which has been estimated at about 500,000 (low ball by a few hundred thousand if you ask me)

Sounds pretty diverse to me.

Every state is mostly "white and black" except Hawaii, New Mexico, Texas and California, even New Jersey, so I'm not sure what your point is there. Especially since just being "black" or "white" doesn't equal American. What I countered was the idea (that you for some reason despite evidence provided adhere to) that Georgia was simply just "black and white" which obviously isn't true.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I guess math wasn't your strong suit in school...

In Georgia in 2008

5,181,714 were "White" alone (this includes Europeans)
2,824,572 were "Black" alone (this includes Africans)

266,911 were Asian alone
729,604 were Hispanic
124,395 were biracial of any two or mores "races"
What I bold faced is 88% of the total population. About 8 million (not 9 mill like he said)

Not that I'm going against your post- I think GA is fairly diverse.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
NJ is arguably one of the most diverse state in the nation- Not only racially, but also in terms of the diversity amongst the nationalities.
No disagreement there.

Quote:
And how does size determine the rate of diversity?
Percentages tell one story of diversity, but numbers do too (although there is no single metric to determine diversity IMHO). For instance, you could have two places.

Place one is 20% white, 20% black, 20% asian, 20% latino, 20% biracial. Population 1000.

Place two is 50% white, 25% black, 15% latino, 10% asian with 20% of that population being foreign born. Population 20 million.

Which would be "more diverse"? The one with an equal percentage of people but a tiny population, or the one with a varied distribution of people but tons of people from various places. I'm likely to say with the larger amount of people and experiences, though so could the more equal percentages. There's more than one way to look at it.

Quote:
NJ nears GA in population regardless of size.
Not any more in any practical way. In 2000 that was true, but by 2003 Georgia passed up NJ in population and just kept on going. Now we're over million past NJ's population despite NJ gaining 300,000 new residents over the last 10 years. To give you an idea how fast things are changing in Georgia we've gained that many people in the last 2 years....most of whom were Asian, Latino or Black. By 2010, we're expected to be a majority-mintority (how I hate that term) state. So the notion that Georgia isn't diverse, or just a "black and white" is severely antiquated term. Especially to these blasian ears Now excuse me while I fall into my Pho induced coma...

Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
What I bold faced is 88% of the total population. About 8 million (not 9 mill like he said)

Not that I'm going against your post- I think GA is fairly diverse.
1,000,000 people is a huge difference. Just sayin'.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:02 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,072,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post

Not any more in any practical way. In 2000 that was true, but by 2003 Georgia passed up NJ in population and just kept on going. Now we're over million past NJ's population despite NJ gaining 300,000 new residents over the last 10 years. To give you an idea how fast things are changing in Georgia we've gained that many people in the last 2 years....most of whom were Asian, Latino or Black. By 2010, we're expected to be a majority-mintority (how I hate that term) state. So the notion that Georgia isn't diverse, or just a "black and white" is severely antiquated term. Especially to these blasian ears Now excuse me while I fall into my Pho induced coma...
The thing w/ population growth is that NJ couldn't sustain that kind of growth no matter what. NJ's population ceiling is probably around 9-10 million whereas GA's is probably closer to 20million.

NJ just doesn't have the infrastructure (or land) to support that kind of size and growth before seeing an extreme deterioration in QOL. At a mere 8.5+million we're already the densest, anymore would be the final straw on the camel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City