Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 22,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Rutgers is a much better school than UGA or Emory. RU is the first and oldest Public Ivy. Today, even our football team is better than UGA's.

NJ spends a lot on education because most NJ'ans value education much more highly than most Georgians. The people and businesses moving to GA (from the North) may bring about a change in GA's population so that there will be enough people to support higher taxes to pay for better schools to provide a better skill pool to supply jobs to those businesses...of course, then GA will become more expensive and people and businesses will flee to someplace else. It's already happened where Atlanta's growth has cooled and the newer hot-spot for people to flee to is Raleigh/Durham, NC.
http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...nal-top-public

Actually, UGA is higher ranked than Rutgers, as is Georgia Tech and Emory is regarded as a very good school as well.

Now Rutgers is a good school, don't get me wrong, but your statement is just not correct.

You guys still have Princeton though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLiberal85 View Post
Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

Actually, UGA is higher ranked than Rutgers, as is Georgia Tech and Emory is regarded as a very good school as well.

Now Rutgers is a good school, don't get me wrong, but your statement is just not correct.

Princeton is what it is

RU, GT, Emory and UGA are all very good schools, Seton Hall and Trenton State are pretty good too.

On colleges though the access to other institutions is also very good (PENN, Columbia, NYU, Drexel, Temple, St joes etc.) most within less than an hour to most in NJ. But on colleges many people go away so they only help the region, from that perspective it would be difficult to not include the schools right on Jersey's borders

Old 08-12-2010, 08:00 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,783,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLiberal85 View Post
Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

If you go by US News, RU is ranked lower than UGA by them. If you go by what school is more respected in academic circles and on the world level and through more respected rankings, RU is far above UGA, GA Tech, and Emory. US News is not recognized as the best, or even a very good source for rankings by academicians; it's the pop-culture ranking, for the masses. It's akin to the Forbes' Magazines "10 best" lists.

RU is 55 in world rankings (Academic Ranking of World Universities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and GA Tech and UGA don't even show up. Emory cracks the top 100 only twice in 10 years.

Now, UGA and Ga Tech and Emory are good schools, don't get me wrong, but your statement is just not correct.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:08 AM

364 posts, read 717,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Rutgers is a much better school than UGA or Emory. RU is the first and oldest Public Ivy. Today, even our football team is better than UGA's.

Did you really just say that???? That has to be the dumbest thing I have heard all week. Seriously. Do you even watch sports???????????????

Rutgers isnt even in the top 25 this year, UGA is always in the top 25.
Rutgers plays in the cupcake division that is the Big East, UGA is in the most competitive conference in college football, the SEC. Rutgers football team couldnt even beat the UGA practice squad. Rutgers had a few good years when Ray Rice was there, but that was an abberation.

LMBAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant believe you actually said that. HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Did you really just say that???? That has to be the dumbest thing I have heard all week. Seriously. Do you even watch sports???????????????

Rutgers plays in the cupcake division that is the Big East, UGA is in the most competitive conference in college football, the SEC. Rutgers football team couldnt even beat the UGA practice squad. Rutgers had a few good years when Ray Rice was there, but that was an abberation.

LMBAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well it is the better school but agree on football. I think PSU has probably as strong if not a stronger following in NJ as a whole though

PSU Football > UGA Football > RU Football

Old 08-12-2010, 08:46 AM

364 posts, read 717,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well it is the better school but agree on football. I think PSU has probably as strong if not a stronger following in NJ as a whole though

PSU Football > UGA Football > RU Football

Rutgers may be a better school, but UGA is no slouch when it comes to academics either. And as far as PSU football I am going to have to disagree on that one as well, the Big 10 is a cupcake conference just like the Big East. PSU's schedule year in and year out is a gravy train compared to UGA's. The only reason PSU gets ranked high every year is because of Joe P and the east coast bias. This year when they play Alabama, Im sure the world will see just how well PSU matches up with a real team, and I would bet the farm that 'Bama will steam roll PSU like there is no tomorrow.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,267,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
Because rich celebrities in NYC often opt for Manhattan and The Hamptons they are the most glamorous places in Greater New York.

Sort of how rich celebrities in LA nearly always opt for Beverly Hills and Bel Air for the same reasons.
Not really true, actually. Tons of celebrities have permanent homes in Northern NJ. There really are a lot. More so than on Long Island (this is permanent homes).

Obviously the majority of celebs have a place in Manhattan (because it's the CITY). The ones who have a place in Manhattan might have a vacation/weekend home in the Hamptons.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,785,658 times
If Rutgers were to enter the SEC, the only team they would be competitive with would be Vanderbilt, or possibly Mississippi State. If either one of those two schools maintained their recruiting classes and moved to the Big East, they would be vying with West Virginia, Pittsburgh, etc for perennial surpremacy. Let's be honest: did anyone think Cincinnati was going to beat Florida last year in the Sugar Bowl? Tony Pike couldn't start for over half the teams in the SEC. Anyone who understands NCAA football in depth can understand this. It's not a knock on Rutgers or the Big East, they are just unable to penetrate the national blue chip prospects before teams like Florida, Georgia and Tennessee are able to get to them first. You will see a down year or two from any of these SEC teams, but they inevitably retool, and pretty quickly. Rutgers has no similar ability to do that. It just doesn't.

Back to the NJ vs Georgia discussion!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Rutgers may be a better school, but UGA is no slouch when it comes to academics either. And as far as PSU football I am going to have to disagree on that one as well, the Big 10 is a cupcake conference just like the Big East. PSU's schedule year in and year out is a gravy train compared to UGA's. The only reason PSU gets ranked high every year is because of Joe P and the east coast bias. This year when they play Alabama, Im sure the world will see just how well PSU matches up with a real team, and I would bet the farm that 'Bama will steam roll PSU like there is no tomorrow.

No doubt Bama is good, better than both in my estimation

So last year among like opponents how did they fare? hmmm UGA lost to LSU and PSU won

And I agree the SEC is usually the best conferance but to compare the big East to the Big Ten? And with Nebraska added, hmmm so UGA might be the 6th or 7th best team in the big Ten, ok

Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,966,540 times
Quote:

LMBAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what you get when a northerner tries to talk college football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City