U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,164,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
hmmm lets look at historic Train stations something Georgia doesn't have
Guess again. There are so many that there is a website dedicated to them.
Georgia Railroad Depot List

You need to realize that Georgia is, and has always been the hub of rail transportation in the Southeast. Rail is the reason Atlanta even exists. At the peak of passenger train service, Atlanta had over 300 trains a day. It remains a very important freight hub to this day.

You should really know what you're talking about before making such ridiculous blanket statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:44 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,562,403 times
I'll go off into something about Jersey City most people don't know- It has more artist living in the city than Manhattan's art district, "Soho". The city also has the worlds largest residential art deco in the world, which was originally a hospital (I work on the same street of the buildings)
It was also awarded the "Project of the Year" in 2009 by Urban Land Institute..

Here's the link to give you guys an idea of the interior (It has a slideshow on the homepage)
The Beacon

I'd live their in a heartbeat if I had the money- It's literally right next to my job!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 AM

7,732 posts, read 7,164,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'll go off into something about Jersey City most people don't know- It has more artist living in the city than Manhattan's art district, "Soho". The city also has the worlds largest residential art deco in the world, which was originally a hospital (I work on the same street of the buildings)
It was also awarded the "Project of the Year" in 2009 by Urban Land Institute..

Here's the link to give you guys an idea of the interior (It has a slideshow on the homepage)
The Beacon

I'd live their in a heartbeat if I had the money- It's literally right next to my job!
Very, very cool!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 PM

963 posts, read 828,225 times
Georgia by a longshot. New Jersey is my least favorite state (from the ones I've been in!)

Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 PM

12,336 posts, read 13,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Historic Georgia Train Station. Right before Sherman took it out. Yeah you guys did a number on us in that department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Guess again. There are so many that there is a website dedicated to them.
Georgia Railroad Depot List

You need to realize that Georgia is, and has always been the hub of rail transportation in the Southeast. Rail is the reason Atlanta even exists. At the peak of passenger train service, Atlanta had over 300 trains a day. It remains a very important freight hub to this day.

You should really know what you're talking about before making such ridiculous blanket statements.
I'm talking about still in use. You are the hub of the southeast Freight network. But were the hub of the intercity / passenger network or will be.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:22 PM

6,504 posts, read 6,643,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I'm talking about still in use. You are the hub of the southeast Freight network. But were the hub of the intercity / passenger network or will be.
It still is, but just greatly reduced from where it once was.

This will be changing in the next few years:

High-speed rail from Atlanta to Nashville in the works | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Old 08-13-2010, 11:08 PM

8,050 posts, read 7,180,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Go get em.......................... For some reason, people think they can throw any & every stereotype @ New Jersey & think it will stick.
BPerone is absolutely correct. NJ is far more fit than GA. It's also a far more educated population, with a greater per capita income, lower crime rate, lower teen pregnancy rate, ect, ect.
Keep pushing Atlanta, it's your only trump card.
As someone who grew up in other parts of Georgia then later moved to Atlanta,but also lived in New Jersey.I came back to Atlanta because Jersey was just not for me.It was in my opinion in a state of just standing still.Living off yesteryears prominence.It was not bad as some would make it,but it certainly was NOT all people try to make it out to be who live there.The schools are much better and cultural institutions abound due to its small size within close proximity but other than that.Just not that thrilling to me.
You talk as though Atlanta is all Georgia has but that just not true.

Savannah 1733 is has been noted as "the most beautiful city in North America" by Le Monde News Paper in Paris.Also home of the Port of Savannah."the Port of Savannah had a record year in fiscal 2007, becoming the fourth-busiest and fastest-growing container terminal in the United States." Wiki

Augusta has a thriving economy that is enjoying a boom in jobs and building of its infrastructure

Columbus is headquarters to Aflac,Carmike Cinemas.TSYS and Synovus just to name a few of the countries Forturne companies.

You keep pushing Jersey.I've been and seen Trenton,Patterson,Newark,Camden.Ill take Georgia's cities over Jersey's any day.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:55 AM

12,336 posts, read 13,364,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
It still is, but just greatly reduced from where it once was.

This will be changing in the next few years:

High-speed rail from Atlanta to Nashville in the works | tennessean.com | The Tennessean
I doubt that , the political & Culturally environment towards HSR / PT is hostile and that slows everything down.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:50 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,180,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Why do people even mention Camden when talking about NJ? It's a small, very poor town, and a very insignificant municipality overall. Nobody goes there, honestly.
Its not about where it is but where it was.Camden used to be a fairly large city.Also being that millions of people pass back and forth in and out of Philly daily it is somewhat significant.The fact that the state government has spent so much of it resources on it to see very little signs of hope should not also be overlooked.I remember just in the late 90's how the state police had to take over duties of policing.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:36 AM

5,262 posts, read 7,562,403 times
Why does everyone keep bringing up Camden as if it's one of our major cities- What a lack on knowledge to even start spewing that nonsense.

Brick is a nice little city about the size of Camden located right next to the shore- Brick was America's Safest City
Edison, NJ is bigger than both Camden and Brick, and it's also among the top 25 safest cities. So keep "Playing that card" that NJ's cities are all crap.

I'd also like to point out what Newark has over GA is higher murder rates (which has been decreasing to say the least) Everything else such as Rape, Robbery, Assault, and theft- Atlanta has higher rates in comparison.
Everyone see's Newark through a mid 90s window- No one knows a thing about the strides it has made, it's not even among the top 25 most dangerous cities anymore (ATL is). If I was going to use the logic everyone else is using I'd knock ATL for being one of the most dangerous cities in 1998. But I won't because I'm not that ignorant.

Last edited by BPerone201; 08-14-2010 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City