Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 03:44 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Not for anything, but our cities just don't have the face of our state as whole (the way ATL would for GA).
Why is that better or worse?If you think Atlanta is the face of the state then that is your own ignorance.Some people in Savannah would definately have something to say about that.

You neglect the fact that Atlanta transcend just the state of GA.It is more like the face of the South.It represents the whole region.Just as New York dominates its region.I dare say Atlanta does that even more across the South.From South Carolina,North Carolina,Alabama,Mississippi, Tennessee and Northern Florida.

This means, when you bring up issues in the state, but only mention 3 cities with a population barely a million it really doesn't mean much.What does the size of the population have to do with it?Im sure the people in those smaller town care a reat deal about the same issues that people in large cities do.That's so elitest.You mean it DOES NOT MATTER TO YOU

Also, those numbers you list go back to the 30's which doesn't reflect modern gains/losses accurately (in that case your very own ATL experienced population loss that century) I posted the current numbers as well.I was very fair I also showed how in some cases such as Newark, have greatly improved.Atlanta has had the highest increase of major cities in its population second only to Dallas.It has currently gained more people than EVER in its entire history!
1970-496,000 Highest
1980-425,000
1990-394,017
2000-416,474
2009- est 540,000

Additionally, you mention Newark crime, but yet ATL is #18 on the most dangerous US cities list for '09. That's not a knock, but it must be pointed out if you wish to use crime as a reference.I don't disagree.Atlanta does rank high.Always has.Even though its the lowest now since the 1960's.Not to mention that 28 counties make up the metropolitan Atlanta area.It was not I that initially brought up crime.And crime is not out of control in Atlanta.It also is not experiencing the urban blight that those cities in New Jersey are known for.Im not saying there is none of that in Georgia,but the sheer size of it is much less with a very small impact.

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2009 — Infoplease.com
So lets be sure that Georgia has only been improving over the years or at least at a stand still and not backwards.Again Im not knocking New Jersey,Of course there are some serious negatives as well as great positives,but people decide with there feet.So if any of these issues were such a worry,you would not see the numbers you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:44 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
You don't have European Standard Highways like we do.......The NJ TPK Network is built to European standards. 10 ft wide shoulders & simple signs. Also Future SMART Highway controls.
And you know this how? You've never been here.

The expressways here look much more modern, wider, and more up to date than what you are showing.

Your pictures show a very minimal to NO emergency lane in the medians - hardly something to be envious of. Not the case here.

Your agenda isn't working........

Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Your doing the same thing with the cities. I haven't compared our Roadway / Bridge system yet....only Rail.
I tried covering a lot of things:
Cities, rural towns, small towns, forests, apparently swamps, population changes, education, location, crime, etc etc.
I also never try to one up GA: I just defend, call BS, and compare facts. I make sure I credit GA too.

I think it's fair to know that NJ has the highest density of highway & rail systems, and that our bridges are some of the most iconic in the nation.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:46 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
We got rid of Whitney Houston - she's all GA's now... LOL

Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Not anymore....she's decamped for L.A. (the house is in foreclosure).

Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So lets be sure that Georgia has only been improving over the years or at least at a stand still and not backwards.Again Im not knocking New Jersey,Of course there are some serious negatives as well as great positives,but people decide with there feet.So if any of these issues were such a worry,you would not see the numbers you do.
Not for anything, but our cities just don't have the face of our state as whole (the way ATL would for GA).
Why is that better or worse?If you think Atlanta is the face of the state then that is your own ignorance.Some people in Savannah would definately have something to say about that.

You neglect the fact that Atlanta transcend just the state of GA.It is more like the face of the South.It represents the whole region.Just as New York dominates its region.I dare say Atlanta does that even more across the South.From South Carolina,North Carolina,Alabama,Mississippi, Tennessee and Northern Florida.

This means, when you bring up issues in the state, but only mention 3 cities with a population barely a million it really doesn't mean much.

What does the size of the population have to do with it?Im sure the people in those smaller town care a reat deal about the same issues that people in large cities do.That's so elitest.You mean it DOES NOT MATTER TO YOU

--------------------------
Elitest?(I happen to LIVE in one of those said cities) Why are you twisting my words? This is what I said:

"This means, when you bring up issues in the state, but only mention 3 cities with a population barely a million it really doesn't mean much."

And you're trying to twist it into me saying I don't care about said issues? What? Obviously I meant that those problems (in those 3 cities) are not synonymous w/ the entire state of NJ, which seemed to be the point you were trying to make.

If you think the population has nothing to do w/ it then perhaps I've been giving you more credit than you deserve.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
This post is riddled with ignorance.
~

First, NJ isn't losing any significant population.
My response was based on the fact that more people are moving out of the state than in.So my fault for not clarifying.Calm down.

Lets take a look at NJ's cities:
For one, Trenton and Camden shouldn't be named as if they're even in the states top 5. Try #10 and #11.I mentioned those cities because traditionally they are the most prominent.It also show how much has been lost in a relative short time.
Elizabeth, Edison, Toms River, and Woodbridge are bigger than both Camden and Trenton- There's other bigger cities too..

Edison, Brick, and Toms River are also one of the safest cities in the nation (Brick is a tad smaller than Camden, which was #1 on that very list)-- But of course, go on and act like such an expert and spell Paterson with 2 T's.

Edison grew 10% from 1990-2000. It grew by 4% from 2000-2008
Woodbridge grew 4% from 1990-2000. It grew by 1% from 2000-2008
Toms River grew 18% from 1990-2000. It grew by 6% from 2000-2008
~~

I'd love to see you post population patters in Newark-Paterson-Trenton from 1850-1900.. These cities are historic, industrious cities that shaped the nation. NJ in general is what controlled much of the financial growth of the North East.... Like most industrious cities, they were stricken with hard times- NJ's cities don't even have big land masses, nor do they even hold a credible percentage of the states population.

You'd have to be an idiot to not even come up with an answer for that yourself.

GA square milage- 59,441
NJ square milage- 8,772

GA is almost 7 times larger than NJ.

Now time to use some math- NJ has almost 9 million and GA has almost 10 million- For NJ to even have a population anywhere near GA's is incredible on NJ's part.Why is it incredible?Its sandwiched between 2 of the nations largest cities!

If GA was to pack people the way NJ does, they'd have nearly 66,000,000 people. So for you to even talk about GA's growth, please spare your logic and don't go and compare it to one of the smallest (land wise), most dense state in the nation. NJ experienced a more incredible growth in the past. It's pretty stable now, NJ is no where near being decrepid state the way you're making it out to be.
I did not say the whole state.I said it has several cities that are decrepid.You are acting as if it is no big deal that 4 past prominent cities are doing so poorly in ONE STATE!!

Try not putting words in my mouth.If im so wrong then tell me that what I mentioned about those cities are not true.You can't.Dont get mad at me,get mad at your state government.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:56 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
And you know this how? You've never been here.

The expressways here look much more modern, wider, and more up to date than what you are showing.

Your pictures show a very minimal to NO emergency lane in the medians - hardly something to be envious of. Not the case here.

Your agenda isn't working........
NJ Turnpike is the only system in the US with those standards.....

Old 08-16-2010, 03:57 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Not anymore....she's decamped for L.A. (the house is in foreclosure).

Come on guys, Whitney had an amazing talent.
That national anthem she did way back when was iconic- I thought she was one of the best female singers of our time, lets not judge her for what we know little about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1QmeEdFOSc

Old 08-16-2010, 03:57 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,087,160 times
And I don't care what anyone says, ATL is the undisputed face of GA (and there is absolutely nothing wrong w/ that), the same way NYC is the face of NY (that's why you have to say NY the 'city' or 'upstate')
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City