Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2010, 01:13 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm aware of this- But that's not really the point I'm trying to make.
Would you want NJ to experience even half of the growing rates GA is seeing?
don't forget there are HUGE masses of land in NJ that can't be raped to line the pockets of builders - a commonplace occurance in the first half of the decade of the 21st century in many states. Ironically those places are suffering the most with the real estate bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
I already said that they probably couldnt compete on the offensive side of the ball, as every skill position on that side of the ball requires more technique and training than a high schooler would have. But on the Defensive side of the ball when your a high school SR. and you're already 6'6, 280 pounds and running a 4.6 40 time...... I think they would do allot better than you think against a team like Rutgers. And once again for the last time I am not saying that they would beat Rutgers, no way no how will that ever happen. But to think that RU would mop the floor with them isnt going to happen as opposed to if a team like UF, UT, 'Bama, or even USC or UGA played a power house high school team, then the score really would be 125-3 or something like that
Yes, a team like Rutgers would absolutely mop the floor with them. The only type of college team that a very good high school team could even consider defeating is a Division III team.

To put it in perspective, think of how many true college freshman actually START, or even play, on Division I teams. Very few. Now subtract a year of maturity, training, and intelligence from those non-playing true freshman -- and you'd have the BEST players on a very good high school team.

Do you see how silly your statement is?

By the way, Rutgers is a VERY good football team, consistently in the Top 40 for the past 5 years.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:25 PM

364 posts, read 717,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So where is better hoops country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
^ Definitely New Jersey.
Even that isn't a for sure thing anymore. 20 years ago of course, nowadays maybe not so much. With the AAU system the way it is now the playing field is allot more level. To be honest IMO, AAU is what's wrong with basketball now

Old 08-12-2010, 01:28 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Even that isn't a for sure thing anymore. 20 years ago of course, nowadays maybe not so much. With the AAU system the way it is now the playing field is allot more level. To be honest IMO, AAU is what's wrong with basketball now

How so on the AAU

BTW - Did you see what Corey Stokes did last week

Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Yes, a team like Rutgers would absolutely mop the floor with them. The only type of college team that a very good high school team could even consider defeating is a Division III team.

To put it in perspective, think of how many true college freshman actually START, or even play, on Division I teams. Very few. Now subtract a year of maturity, training, and intelligence from those non-playing true freshman -- and you'd have the BEST players on a very good high school team.

Do you see how silly your statement is?

By the way, Rutgers is a VERY good football team, consistently in the Top 40 for the past 5 years.
please show me where I said they would beat RU. I said they would compete with RU allot better than you think. And RU a top 40 program? Please, I don't even think they are in the top 50 this year, even after the season they had last year. Not to mention that their schedule is every bit of a cake walk until the last couple of games. I mean who but a cupcake program opens up a season against Norfolk State?

Old 08-12-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
How so on the AAU

BTW - Did you see what Corey Stokes did last week
For one IMO AAU does not stress team basketball, it's all about streetball basically. And second nowadays with the summer AAU tourneys and the Nike ABC camps, unless you get plugged in to a AAU coach damn near from 6th grade on, you really don't have a good chance to get noticed by college recruiters. I really feel bad for Joe Blow from small town USA who doesn't play AAU ball as there is not team in his area, but he is every
bit as good as good as Joe Blow #2 who plays for the Georgia Celtics or the the DC stars for example. And I'm not up on Corey Stokes. Fill me in...

Old 08-12-2010, 01:39 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
For one IMO AAU does not stress team basketball, it's all about streetball basically. And second nowadays with the summer AAU tourneys and the Nike ABC camps, unless you get plugged in to a AAU coach damn near from 6th grade on, you really don't have a good chance to get noticed by college recruiters. I really feel bad for Joe Blow from small town USA who doesn't play AAU ball as there is not team in his area, but he is every
bit as good as good as Joe Blow #2 who plays for the Georgia Celtics or the the DC stars for example. And I'm not up on Corey Stokes. Fill me in...

In the spirit of Team hoops the Villanova gaurd put up (Actually was Corey Fisher not stokes, sorry) 105 in an Amatuer game last week

AAU in one form or another has always been around in this area, yet there have been some great team players to come out

Old 08-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
In the spirit of Team hoops the Villanova gaurd put up (Actually was Corey Fisher not stokes, sorry) 105 in an Amatuer game last week

AAU in one form or another has always been around in this area, yet there have been some great team players to come out
I did see that about Corey Fisher. And also about AAU I think that now with all the summer tourneys that these AAU teams travel to it makes everybody else better. Whereas back in the day the best players where from the east coast, but now since the AAU teams travel so much, kids all over the country can play them and get better by it.

But real talk I think AAU and not players doing one year in college and going to the NBA is what's wrong with pro basketball right now. Those cats come out of AAU with little fundamental skills.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:53 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,326 times
I love New Jersey.
But lets be serious. College Football is a religion in The South. Rutgers has vastly improved in the last few years & they will only get better. But still...........................

Basketball? I'm taking NJ.
St. Anthony, St. Patrick, St. Benedict, Paterson Catholic, ect, ect. These are small, underfunded, Catholic Schools in the ghetto that play @ an elite level year in & year out.
A school like Oak Hill Academy in VA is not really a "school" at all, but a basketball factory. AAU meatmaket coaches push the best kids from around the nation to play there & NJ's rusty old ghetto Catholic Schools still put it down.
*This is a rant more than a comparison to GA*
St. Anthony is the type of place that makes me proud to be from New Jersey. Bob Hurley Sr could have left Jersey City & made millions in the NBA or a big time College program. NBA & big time College coaches seek him out for advise on a regular basis.
Instead, he lives in the same neighborhood he grew up in (on the bad side of town) & takes local kids to astounding heights.......................Every year. It's a mission to give opportunity through sports. That's noble enough in & of itself. Yet, Mr. Hurley also runs one of the most disciplined, hard working & successful programs in the nation. If you're from New Jersey (and more specifically Jersey City), donating $25 to St. Ant's is a must. It's an institution that deserves more.
*Rant over*

Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM

@Openheads...
C/S 110% about Oak Hill. I've always wanted to know what a typical school day there is like. I wonder if the bball team actually goes to class or do they wake up with a basketball in their hand and take it from there.

But getting off sports for a minute how about some more GA/ NJ comparisons?

Like GA has the better looking women IMO
But Jersey for sure has better weed.... Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City