Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 11:38 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I doubt that , the political & Culturally environment towards HSR / PT is hostile and that slows everything down.
Again, it has been proven time after time that you know nothing of the situation down here. You have made several claims that are obviously untrue - such as a supposed long history of corruption concerning all things PT in the South. You have an obvious bias against the region, which comes shining through in post after post.

Stick to what you know - Northeastern transit issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,845,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Again, it has been proven time after time that you know nothing of the situation down here. You have made several claims that are obviously untrue - such as a supposed long history of corruption concerning all things PT in the South. You have an obvious bias against the region, which comes shining through in post after post.

Stick to what you know - Northeastern transit issues.
LMAO , i don't hate the south.....list some cities in the south other then Atlanta and Charlotte that have a decent system with future planned systems? The fact that Marta has had a hard time expanding tells you something. Charlotte meanwhile is slowly expanding.....

Old 08-14-2010, 10:10 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
LMAO , i don't hate the south.....list some cities in the south other then Atlanta and Charlotte that have a decent system with future planned systems? The fact that Marta has had a hard time expanding tells you something. Charlotte meanwhile is slowly expanding.....
Well by that measure,there are several cities outside of the South that are not expanding,Including the the ones that are the largest.Even NYC is experiencing a lot cuts because of budget.The point is there is a double standard when you mention only the South.
L.A. expanding its system.What about other cities in the north that HAVE been at a stand still for years.Such as Baltimore,Cleveland,Pittsburgh,Minneapolis,Buffalo ,etc...?

But since you asked Dallas and Houston are 2 cities that are expanding a a very fast rate.

MARTA has a problem due to the way it was set up and funded.It is unique in that regard.There is support for it to expand now more than ever.Its now like everywhere else,about money.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:24 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Why does everyone keep bringing up Camden as if it's one of our major cities- What a lack on knowledge to even start spewing that nonsense.

Brick is a nice little city about the size of Camden located right next to the shore- Brick was America's Safest City
Edison, NJ is bigger than both Camden and Brick, and it's also among the top 25 safest cities. So keep "Playing that card" that NJ's cities are all crap.

I'd also like to point out what Newark has over GA is higher murder rates (which has been decreasing to say the least) Everything else such as Rape, Robbery, Assault, and theft- Atlanta has higher rates in comparison.
Everyone see's Newark through a mid 90s window- No one knows a thing about the strides it has made, it's not even among the top 25 most dangerous cities anymore (ATL is). If I was going to use the logic everyone else is using I'd knock ATL for being one of the most dangerous cities in 1998. But I won't because I'm not that ignorant.

Actually with Cory Booker's great leadership.Newark is well on its way to becoming more desirable by more people everyday.However the reality is that more people are moving out of New Jersey than moving in every year.One only needs to look South to neighbouring Delaware to see the impact of its growth.Much like Nevada benefiting from California.

New Jersey does have some wonderful areas that most people do not even realize ,but unfortunately people dwell on negativity.Its largest cities have been failing for some time.Just like everywhere there seems to be a renaissance but its gonna take a lot of work and image rebuilding to make a major difference.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:49 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
I think Georgia is the better state simply for the fact that it is independent with a very popular city. I like the urbanization of NJ and that it is the most urbanize state in the union. NJ fall short in my opinion for being too dependent on Philly and NYC. Its basically a backyard state. None of NJ "larger cities(100,000+ pop.)" are the central cities of there metros. Newark and Jersey City are second and third fiddle to NYC.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think Georgia is the better state simply for the fact that it is independent. I like the urbanization of NJ and that it is the most urbanize state in the union. NJ fall short in my opinion for being too dependent on Philly and NYC. Its basically a backyard state. None of NJ "larger cities(100,000+ pop.)" are the central cities of there metros. Newark and Jersey City are second and third fiddle to NYC.

Too dependent? That's like saying Atlanta's metro is "too dependent" on ATL. --Every city needs its metro, why is NJ an exception?

The vast majority of NYS doesn't have nearly as many ties or access as NJ does with NYC (Manhattan)- There's nothing NJ can do about geographical location- Newark and Jersey cities are the 2nd and 3rd cities of the NYC metro (with strong job markets), Jersey City being the closest city to Manhattan- That's more than the NYC metro in CT or NYS can say.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Actually with Cory Booker's great leadership.Newark is well on its way to becoming more desirable by more people everyday.
I totally agree with this. The first time I heard about Mayor Booker about 10 years ago I knew that guy was going places. Mark my words: In the next 20 years he will be a national leader (either a prominent Senator or perhaps President). Oddly enough, Mayor Booker was a big supporter of current ATL Mayor Kasim Reed during the most contentious mayoral race in Atlanta in about 40 years.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:19 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,192,619 times
Quote:
BPerone201;15478820]Too dependent? That's like saying Atlanta's metro is "too dependent" on ATL. --Every city needs its metro, why is NJ an exception?
What I mean by NJ being too dependent is that none of the 100,000+ cities in NJ are the primary/principal city of the metro. Just the fact that Jersey City and Newark are within 30 minutes from Manhattan makes it impossible. NJ is what I call a backyard state. For instance, I bet when people in New Jersey say they are heading to "the city", I'm certain they are referring to NYC(Manhattan specifically) or Philly and not Newark or JC.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-14-2010 at 11:45 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 12:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
What I mean by NJ being too dependent is that none of the 100,000+ cities in NJ are the primary/principal city of the metro. Just the fact that Jersey City and Newark are within 30 minutes from Manhattan makes it impossible. NJ is what I call a backyard state. For instance, I bet when people in New Jersey say they are heading to "the city", I'm certain they are referring to NYC(Manhattan specifically) or Philly and not Newark or JC.
Well you can't really expect the fourth smallest state sandwiched between America's largest city and the 2nd biggest city in the North East to come up with its own stand alone major city- Think about that, NJ is already the densest state.

NJ may not have the principle cities it's a part of, but the state has overall better access to both these cities than the vast majority of NYS and PA.

PA's second city- 5.5 hours away in Pittsburgh
NY's second city- 6.5 hours away in Buffalo.

NJ's 1st city is 10 miles from NYC, NJ's 2nd city has the holland tunnel into Manhattan, and NJ's 3rd cities is about 20 miles from NYC. They're around 2 hours from philly. The 9 million people in NJ don't necessarily need to literally have a major city- The state is a part of the 2 major cities by default- more than half of NYC's metro is located within NJ's borders- Philadelphia to a lesser, but strong extent.

I'd hate to get into this discussion, but NJ basically trumps most states in terms of overall location and accessibility. Why do you think NJ is the most expensive state?

Last edited by BPerone201; 08-15-2010 at 01:00 AM..

Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,435,178 times
Georgia aint so bad.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/galounger/sandyfmcon.jpg (broken link)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City