Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
But i'm saying it takes twice as long to get anything done in the Mass Transit / Rail dept. Meanwhile your state has no problem building highways every year , new interstates like 14.
What? You continue to post your opinions as facts.

Prove that it takes twice as long to do things here. You can't.

Prove that there have been new highways built every year. You can't.

Prove that ONE SHOVEL OF DIRT has been turned for the fantasy I-14. Again, you can't.

You continue to make yourself look worse with each post. Why are you not capable of just stepping back and admitting that you know NOTHING of how things work here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
No picture of the Meadowlands? Isn't that swamp land too?
The 2nd picture is in the meadowlands
It's not the best swamp due to its location, but the preserved Park in Lyndhurst is nice. (which is what the pic is of)

Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
It's really very simple.

Credibility of those unwilling to concede anything positive about GA = 0

Credibility of those unwilling to concede anything positive about NJ = 0

I've seen breathtaking sights in both states, and I've seem squalor in both. All the rest is a matter of personal taste.
Exactly.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:42 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
It's too bad you only visited the ghettos in NJ - You should have checked out Jersey City, Hoboken, New Brunswick, Red Bank, Atlantic City, or any of the nicer cities in NJ for which there are no equals in GA. GA has, really, two cities - Atlanta, one of the biggest in the nation, and Savannah, known for its unique charm and beauty. That's it. Macon, and the other cities are ghettoes and crime-riidden, making GA's crime much worse than NJ's. Not to mention the meth problem in GA that is far bigger than any drug problem in NJ. I think more poverty in GA leads to more meth-heads than in NJ or other states.
Actually if you had read my post in the past.I made mention of several areas I was impressed with.Like Ridgewood,Berlin,Princeton.In fact before I made the statement that I lived there.I said where I live was not that bad ,but it just was not for me.In fact there are many places i have been all over the world yet I always found something interesting about it.However if I stayed in the "ghettos" as you say when I was in NJ,then I suppose you were on a meth lab tour of the South seeing how you know so much of their locations.

So yes the crime rate is higher and meth is a problem in some of those smaller cities.There are many isolated places due to the sheer size of GA that New Jersey will never have to deal with people hiding to do dirt in a small town 40 miles from the closes interstate.

Which in my opinion actually makes it even more perplexing that in New Jersey was all that.(admittedly in some cases it has huge advantages)yet people are moving away into states like Delaware.Could at be that its just not that the advantages are that overwhelmingly that people would want to stay?I guess not judging from the Census figures.

As far as you say Georgia cities are crime filled and "ghetto".An exageration to be sure.But there are some problems in some cases that is true but they all have charms.Yet you really do not know what you are talking about.Atlanta and Savannah are not the only cities in Georgia that are nice.

Brunswick:founded in 1771 by the Province of Georgia and incorporated on February 22, 1856.Plans for the city's streets and squares were laid out in grid-style following James Oglethorpe's Savannah Plan. In 1789, George Washington proclaimed Brunswick one of the five original ports of entry for the United States.

The Port of Brunswick is the fourth-largest automobile port in the eastern United States.[8] The city's economy encompasses manufacturing, agricultural processing, and bulk cargoes. Tourism constitutes the largest industry in Brunswick and the Golden Isles.[9] Brunswick is the center of Georgia's shrimp and crab industry, attributing to the city's nickname, the "Shrimp Capital of the World

http://www.plannersweb.com/publicbldgs/images/CH400-BrunswickGA.jpg (broken link)
http://wwwb.dot.ga.gov/specialsubjects/roadconstruction/sidney/cable.jpg (broken link)
http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)
http://l.yimg.com/www.flickr.com/images/spaceball.gif (broken link)

Macon Georgia:Music capital-Birth place of Little richard,Otis Redding,The Allman Brothers,and childhood home of Lena Horne

Thomasville:"City of Roses" "More than a century ago, Thomasville was celebrated as one of the most fashionable places in the world to visit. During the Victorian era, many wealthy northern socialites and pleasure seekers traveled by rail to enjoy Thomasville as their grand winter resort."

http://www.exoticexcess.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/19-Million-Chinquapin-Plantation-in-Thomasville-Georgia.jpg (broken link)

Augusta:Augusta is the principal city of the Augusta-Richmond County Metropolitan Statistical Area, which as of 2008 had an estimated population of 534,218. Augusta is thus the second largest city in Georgia and the second-largest metro area in the state after Atlanta, as well as the 113th largest city in the U.S.[7] Internationally, Augusta is best known for hosting The Masters golf tournament each spring, and for being the hometown of funk/soul singer James Brown.

http://www.augusta.com/content/images/attractions/riverwalk.jpg (broken link)

YouTube - Augusta Market at the River
Really crime ridden I guess
You should also check out Rome,Helen,St.Marys,Athens,Vidailia,Valdosta,Mille dgeville,Columbus,Darien,etc..
Truthfully although there are some bad areas of every city.Georgia has NO city with the amount of poverty,crime,and destitution that the likes of Camden,Patterson,Newark ,Trenton has.Talk about having no "equals".Thank God.

Really though.I hope that those cities follow the example of Newark and elect positive and progressive leadership.They have good bones,but they have a long way to go.

Last edited by afonega1; 08-16-2010 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
But i'm saying it takes twice as long to get anything done in the Mass Transit / Rail dept. Meanwhile your state has no problem building highways every year , new interstates like 14.
Quote:
Interstate 14 is a proposed interstate set to run from Natchez, Mississippi or Alexandria, Louisiana to Augusta, Georgia or North Augusta, South Carolina named for the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. The proposal for I-14 has its origins in the same 2005 federal legislation tied to Interstate 3, which is proposed to run from Savannah, GA to Knoxville, TN.
So what does that have to do with the State of Georgia?Its federal.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Georgia has NO city with the amount of poverty,crime,and destitution that the likes of Camden,Patterson,Newark ,Trenton has.Talk about having no "equals".Thank God.
And yet NJ's crime rate is still lower than GA.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
So what does that have to do with the State of Georgia?Its federal.
And, it's nothing more than a pipe dream at this point in time.

But according to Nexis, we already built it - and at the expense of public transit.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:19 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
New Jerseyites are also heather then Georgians. Our Obesity Rate is lower.....

Old 08-16-2010, 02:22 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Uhhh im not taking sides here but did you just say Trenton is no where near the Bronx in terms of crime?? Trenton is constantly in the top 10 and 20 in terms of most crime ridden cities. Im not saying your wrong but do you have some type of proof or are you just saying that because your upset at that poster. I mean the Bronx is way bigger and has a ton of crime issues but come on.
Off subj but: That was more a peg b/c the other poster thinks every city in NJ is worse than the Bronx lol (proof or not)

Old 08-16-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Yet and New Jersey is still loosing residents to crime filled Georgia.What does that say about New Jersey?Youve had at least 3 corrupt Governor face all kinds of charges in the past 20 years.

Lets take a look at New Jersey cities:
Patterson: Population :Est. 2008 145,643 −2.4%
In 1988, New Jersey became the first state in the nation to authorize its State Department of Education to take over local school districts that were failing according to an established monitoring process. In 1991, the city of Paterson became the second of the three troubled districts that had to cede control of its public schools to the state. The presumption was that improvement would follow.
To date, Paterson Public schools is still controlled by the State of New Jersey Department of Education. As such, Paterson Public Schools is managed by a state-appointed Superintendent and maintains a School Advisory Board that serves in an advisory capacity only

Trenton:Population Est. 2008[2] 82,883−3.0%
In 2005, there were 31 homicides in Trenton, the largest number in a single year in the city's history, with 22 of the homicides believed to be gang related.[29] The city was named the 4th "Most Dangerous" in 2005 out of 129 cities with a population of 75,000 to 99,999 ranked nationwide.[30] In the 2006 survey, Trenton was ranked as the 14th most dangerous "city" overall out of 371 cities included nationwide in the 13th annual Morgan Quitno survey, and was again named as the fourth most dangerous "city" of 126 cities in the 75,000–99,999 population range.[31] Homicides went down in 2006 to 20, but back up to 25 in 2007[32] As of October 9, 2008 there have been 18 homicides in Trenton

Newark:
1930 442,337> 6.7%
1940 429,760> −2.8%
1950 438,776> 2.1%
1960 405,220> −7.6%
1970 381,930> −5.7%
1980 329,248> −13.8%
1990 275,221> −16.4%
2000 273,546> −0.6%
Est. 2009 278,154 > 1.7% (thanks to Cory)
In the 2007 rankings, now performed by CQ Press, Newark was the 20th most dangerous city in America of 378 cities surveyed. In 2008, Newark was ranked as the 24th most dangerous city, and as of 2009, has dropped out of the Top-25 altogether, standing at 29th.[22] In March, 2010, Newark enjoyed its first month without a homicide since 1966.Quite impressive.Amazing what great leadership can do.

Camden:
1950 124,555> 6.0%
1960 117,159> −5.9%
1970 102,551> −12.5%
1980 84,910> −17.2%
1990 87,492> 3.0%
2000 79,318> −9.3%
Est. 2009 78,790> −0.7%

Although once a thriving center for manufacturing and industry, Camden is perhaps best known for its struggles with urban dysfunction. Three Camden mayors have been jailed for corruption, the most recent being Milton Milan in 2000.[8] Since 2005 the school system and police department have been operated by the State of New Jersey; the takeover will expire in 2012. In 2009, Camden had the highest crime rate in the U.S. with 2,333 violent crimes per 100,000 people while the national average was 455 per 100,000 [9] Camden public schools spend $17,000 per student per year yet only two thirds of the students graduate. Two out of every five residents are below the national poverty line.

If you like I can put Georgia's cities up for comparison,but as you may or may not know that none one can compare with those facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City