U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM

3,437 posts, read 5,344,779 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what state has people with the thickest Southern accent in your opinion?

I work for an company that produces tractors and implements and I deal with a lot of hillbillies all over the country,after sometime doing this , I can pretty much tell right away, if a person is from Georgia, Arkansas or Oklahoma based on their accents, even dealing with Canadians, I can recognize the Saskatchewan accent almost immediately LOL.

Based on my experiences, people in small towns in Mississippi have the thickest Southern accents of any other state, to the point that sometimes, I have to have people repeat what they said and trust me, I am very used to people talking with a Southern twang People in West Virginia can have some pretty thick accents, especially in the backwoods, but I think Mississippi is still #1
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:19 PM

3,165 posts, read 3,958,116 times
Definately Mississippi. The accent down there is the only thing thicker than the skeeters!

Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,393,440 times
Why Mississippi has the thickest accent this side of the Mississippi j/k.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 PM

12,521 posts, read 22,337,052 times
Alabama

Really any Southeastern state from East Texas on East to Georgia, Virginia, & the Carolinas has that thick twangy Southern draw.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,039,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Alabama

Really any Southeastern state from East Texas on East to Georgia, Virginia, & the Carolinas has that thick twangy Southern draw.
But is being heavily diluted in many areas due to large numbers of transplants and immirgrants.

The thickest accent with it being used by the largest percentage in an area is likely around the Mississippi River area.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,236,543 times
Possibly the Southern cities or states with few out of state residents. For states that might be Alabama, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, and West Virginia if you count WV as southern.

Maps: Migration Flows in the United States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

If you by town likely many towns in Louisiana. Although that accent might have a Cajun influence in parts. So maybe Winona, Mississippi or Tuscaloosa, Alabama for a larger town.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h165.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Tuscaloosa-Alabama.html

Old 08-09-2010, 06:34 AM

2,758 posts, read 6,434,989 times
Probably many areas of the deep south. However, television, radio and the like has caused a softening of the accent in recent years. It is not as thick as previouly heard (like when my grands and greats were alive) you seldom hear that old time southern drawl anymore, if at all. It is all rhotic nowadays (r pronunciation) and not as animated sounding (which largely came from Hollywood I believe).

Animated sounding is like Gomer Pyle. It's a really rare day to hear someone talk like that.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,450,056 times
from my experience, alabama, tennesee, georgia...louisiana...

it really depends on the particular town or city in these states tho. i've met some ppl with CRAZY accents.

i remember having a conversation with a girl from georgia when i was in texas and she asked me if i had ever been to "olive gerden."

i also met a guy from houston like two weeks or less ago and it was very difficult to understand what he was saying. he was real smart and had a lot to say about working for the govt, but comprehending it was kind of difficult.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:18 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,648,289 times
Alabama. My husband's coworker is from there, but he has worked on elliminating his accent for business purposes. However, when he is with his Mom and they get into a heated conversation and start talking very fast, I cannot understand a word they are saying.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:17 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,464,045 times
Seems like a difficult question to answer given that there are variances in southern accents. A Carolina accent can vary from an Arkansas accent, which can vary from a southern Louisiana accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City