U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,136,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC90 View Post
And the most expensive home in the WORLD is in Mumbai, India.

Your point, being?

Although NYC's has a much more high end real estate than LA in general, none of that matters. Especially when it comes to asking prices, which are nothing more than suggestions. How many years have those monstrosities been lingering on the market?

New York trumps LA when it comes to wealth.

New York honestly trumps LA when it comes to everything that matters.
The most expensive US property SOLD is in LA..not on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM

244 posts, read 343,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again the wealthiest Californian's tend to live in smaller enclaves..New York wealth gravitates to the city..
New York has more wealth than LA..yes..California trumps New York..western folk are more country mice by comparison.
Actually, the New York City metro has the same amount of billionaires as the state of CA. Astonishing considering NYC's population is 20 million less than California.

And yes, rich people in California do live in "cities", they just live in the suburbs. 99.9% of California's wealth lives in around SF, LA or SD. Not in Podunk.

Which brings us to the Metro Wealth Index (city + suburbs millionaire count)

New York 667,200,

Los Angeles 235,800

Which US Cities Have the Most Millionaires? | Where Do the Most Millionaires Live? | Life's Little Mysteries

Notice the massive gap? LOL.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Actually, the New York City metro has the same amount of billionaires as the state of CA, even when NYC's population is 20 million less than California.

And yes, rich people in California do live in "cities", they just live in the suburbs.
where is your source.?.I would love to see that.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:41 PM

244 posts, read 343,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
where is your source.?.I would love to see that.
The 400 Richest Americans - Forbes.com

I counted.

NYC - 81
CA - 82

And what does this have to do with "California" anyway?

Every time there is a comparison between LA and NYC, LA boosters always run and try to hind behind "California" and all its 164,000 square miles. At least San Francisco boosters can keep on the subject of city vs city.

States are irrelevant.

Last edited by DC90; 08-16-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 08-16-2010, 03:50 PM

I personally think much of LA is a sewer actually, but the more pristine areas more than make up
for it IMO, I am tired of seeing the city run down on every thread. That is all..but yes, I should stay on the subject of city vs. city.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:03 PM

11,425 posts, read 10,241,220 times
I don't see how Hollywood and the industry in general are completely gung-ho about Los Angeles. There's plenty of media from the southland that mocks, critiques, and ridicules itself.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The 400 Richest Americans - Forbes.com

I counted.

NYC - 81
CA - 82

And what does this have to do with "California" anyway?

Every time there is a comparison between LA and NYC, LA boosters always run and try to hind behind "California" and all its 164,000 square miles. At least San Francisco boosters can keep on the subject of city vs city.

States are irrelevant.
Forbes' U.S. Billionaires, Listed by State
How many billionaires in New York and California? and where did you come up with the 99.9% of Californias wealth is within the three metros you discussed.if you mean within a hundred miles maybe.

I counted too? California has over 90 billionaires.. as far as millionaires NY MSA stats.. other states are included in that.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:17 PM

742 posts, read 449,276 times
Default Two cities

LA for the weather, NYC for everything else.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:18 PM

973 posts, read 866,629 times
NYC, Easily.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:18 PM

10,419 posts, read 13,976,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Not everybody in LA lives by the coast the majority of them do not. The majority of them live inland. Not on the coast. There is no possible way to exaggerate something that LA leads the country in.
But millions of people do, it's a massive city. Just like not everyone lives in Manhattan in NYC or Miami Beach in Miami. Every large city has good and bad parts where it's very possible to avoid some of the bad issues that affect these cities. You sound so sure of yourself as if you actually have personal experience but your opinion is based off nothing more than a visit, if you've even visited, and media BS. That is nothing more than tpyical "know it all" ignorance. You don't speak from experience but rather from perception. Again stick to what you know, which is nothing on the west coast.
Quote:
LA is always on the television set making itself seem perfect with its little Chavez Ravine and Hollywood Hills flyovers. Reputations are earned and LA is definitely not what its own Hollywood makes it out to be. Most of the city is a bland ongoing suburb all the way to San Bernardino and I do not have to live there to see it.
No not true at all, there is a plethora of movies and TV shows that show much of LA's bad side and they have been doing that for decades. For you to sit there and act like most of what is shown about LA is all glamor is the biggest load of BS and you just tell yourself that to hate on it more. It's pathetic.
Quote:
I never said anything about that. I never said Miami is one of the most diverse. But I did say LA is not diverse like everybody says it is. It is way too Mexican to be NY or Toronto.
It's more diverse than you make it out to be, that is the point. One visit, if that, doesn't give you any credibility to speak as if you know the place like the back of your hand. It's just amazing how some people can be so sure of their opinions when it's not based on experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City