U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 PM

224 posts, read 303,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Weather yes but LA does not have better eastern European food. I am from eastern Europe I have had in both there is much more to choose from in NY.
Sorry if I was not clear, but NY has the better high end dining, eastern european food, italian american food. La has better ethnic food after that, La is often overlooked as a mega food destination, but its probably one of the best places to eat ethnic food , anywhere.

La is tops for ethnic dining(in no order):

1.Chinese
2.Vietnamese
3. Indian
4.Mexican
5.Thai
6.Japanese
7. Middle eastern (Persian is the main one here)

On top of that LA does very solid NY jewish deli and NY pizza
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 AM

10,276 posts, read 13,499,211 times
Quote:
There has been no lying but stating the freaking truth. People who hide from the truth think everything is over exaggerate but I still do not see how a city ranking #1 in the U.S. for everything I said it ranks #1 in the U.S. for can be over exaggerated.
It's not #1 worst for everything, you even say that later. Why do you keep saying it's #1 worst for all these things that it's not for? That's why you are over exaggerating and lying.
Quote:
LA has dirtier beaches than NYC.
None of those beaches were even in LA really. Avalon is on an island 20 miles off the coast from LA. The other one is at the very end of Orange County, closer to San Diego than LA.

And according to this list, it shows NYC's beaches being the dirtiest in the country and this list actually has beaches that are in the city limits of NYC unlike your list which did not list a single beach anywhere near the city of LA.

Cleanest and dirtiest beaches in the United States | Yahoo! Green
Quote:
I never said it was #1 in a stumbling economy. I put a period and then I said LA has a stumbling economy. The whole states of California and New York SUCK now.

Read the above reply.
You said it was #1 for all these bad things which it is not. Air pollution and traffic and are the only two things it's ranks the worst at.
Quote:
No exaggerations
When you state it's the worst in the country for all these things that it's not, then yes that is an exaggeration.
Quote:
LA has wide freeways, saying 16 lane freeways is a figure of speech. Do not take everything so literally. When I said 16 lane freeways I thought that would pick up in peoples minds and they would know that I meant the highways are freaking big. (cannot cuss on this over moderated website)
They aren't that huge and people over exaggerate how much LA is covered in freeways. It ranks right next to NYC metro for freeway lanes per capita:
Highway & Motorway Fact Book: Index
Quote:
I never boosted Miami where it does not deserve to be boosted. I said this before and I will say it 100 more times if I have to. I boost Miami's beaches and nightlife incredibly hard in the SD vs MIA thread because your friend from CA was sitting there talking about how SD has all this nightlife and beaches to compare to Miami. Yeah right. I did not see you stepping in there and telling him to shut up when it is obvious SD nightlife is nowhere near MIA's level and the beaches are too freaking cold too much. The cliffs are nice yes but those are not the beaches those are the cliffs. But I am aware that in general LA will kick the crap out of Miami however LA will definitely not kick the crap out of Miami's nightlife and beaches and skyline. You can even throw girls in there if you want. I like Miami girls more and I will say so right now.
You completely missed the point I was trying to make. You rail on LA as not being good enough to live in b/c of stuff like unemployment, spanish, illegals, foreclosures, etc.. yet Miami has all these problems as well and several which are worse than LA but you find those acceptable there. It's a double standard and reeks of bias.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:36 AM

648 posts, read 861,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It's not #1 worst for everything, you even say that later. Why do you keep saying it's #1 worst for all these things that it's not for? That's why you are over exaggerating and lying.
I said it is number 1 for everything I said it is number 1 in. I said for traffic, pollution, and illegal immigration it is number 1. I did say water pollution but I will subtract that because the source is two years lost.

Quote:
None of those beaches were even in LA really. Avalon is on an island 20 miles off the coast from LA. The other one is at the very end of Orange County, closer to San Diego than LA.
If they were that dirty AWAY from LA I do not even want to know what Long Beach is like.

Quote:
And according to this list, it shows NYC's beaches being the dirtiest in the country and this list actually has beaches that are in the city limits of NYC unlike your list which did not list a single beach anywhere near the city of LA.

Cleanest and dirtiest beaches in the United States | Yahoo! Green
That list lists beaches in Maine as dirtier than freaking Newport Beach California. You are gullible if you believe that.

Quote:
You said it was #1 for all these bad things which it is not. Air pollution and traffic and are the only two things it's ranks the worst at.
Illegal immigration.

Quote:
When you state it's the worst in the country for all these things that it's not, then yes that is an exaggeration.
Still do not see where I exaggerated. "All those things" huh? That is what I over exaggerated? "All those things." I said it is number 1 for traffic, pollution, and illegal immigration. THAT IS IT. Then I said it has HORRIBLE economy, foreclosures, and job market. I also said it is majority Mexican. Because it is.

Quote:
They aren't that huge and people over exaggerate how much LA is covered in freeways. It ranks right next to NYC metro for freeway lanes per capita:
Highway & Motorway Fact Book: Index
NYC has few large highways. NYC is mostly parkways and they are small. From driving experience in both places I can easily tell you that LA has wider freeways. I can not even believe there is a source on something as stupid as studying per capita freeway lanes. But really, I thought we were supposed to include metro areas when talking about cities now? Why did you take Orange County out of the equation when I jumped on the fact that LA has big freeways? Because it helped you argue that LA does not? Are you not one of the guys here who argues FOR metro area over city?

Quote:
You completely missed the point I was trying to make. You rail on LA as not being good enough to live in b/c of stuff like unemployment, spanish, illegals, foreclosures, etc.. yet Miami has all these problems as well and several which are worse than LA but you find those acceptable there. It's a double standard and reeks of bias.
For the 37th time, I have not boosted Miami where it does not deserve to be boosted. I strictly boosted Miami's beaches, nightlife, cars, and girls. And skyline here and there. Never did I compare Miami's size to LA, its diversity, or its economy because I am not that stupid because I know it would lose.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I said it is number 1 for everything I said it is number 1 in. I said for traffic, pollution, and illegal immigration it is number 1. I did say water pollution but I will subtract that because the source is two years lost.
You also said forecslorues, unemployment, economic decline, spanish speaking people, etc.. You basically claimed it was the worst at everything when it's not.
Quote:
If they were that dirty AWAY from LA I do not even want to know what Long Beach is like.
If beaches in Long Beach were any dirtier don't you think they would be on the list genius? And those beaches aren't dirty due to proximity to LA at all but rather due to a local pollution source like nearly ALL beaches with water quality problems. What a horrible and completely uniformed comment to suggest these beaches are dirty because of LA.
Quote:
That list lists beaches in Maine as dirtier than freaking Newport Beach California. You are gullible if you believe that.
And you are not very intelligent since you don't seem to understand how water pollution works at local beaches. You just think because it's near a big metro area that the beach is automatically dirty or some crap? Almost always it's a LOCAL problem with polluted beaches and not some widespread pollution epidemic due to urbanization.
Quote:
Still do not see where I exaggerated. "All those things" huh? That is what I over exaggerated? "All those things." I said it is number 1 for traffic, pollution, and illegal immigration. THAT IS IT. Then I said it has HORRIBLE economy, foreclosures, and job market. I also said it is majority Mexican. Because it is
You were inferring it was the worst in these things which it is clearly not.
Quote:
NYC has few large highways. NYC is mostly parkways and they are small. From driving experience in both places I can easily tell you that LA has wider freeways. I can not even believe there is a source on something as stupid as studying per capita freeway lanes. But really, I thought we were supposed to include metro areas when talking about cities now? Why did you take Orange County out of the equation when I jumped on the fact that LA has big freeways? Because it helped you argue that LA does not? Are you not one of the guys here who argues FOR metro area over city?
Again, completely missed the point I was trying to make. I was showing that LA is not covered in a huge freeways and in fact does not have a lot of freeways compared to it's population. Get it now?
Quote:
For the 37th time, I have not boosted Miami where it does not deserve to be boosted. I strictly boosted Miami's beaches, nightlife, cars, and girls. And skyline here and there. Never did I compare Miami's size to LA, its diversity, or its economy because I am not that stupid because I know it would lose.
And for the 37th time you missed my point AGAIN. I don't give a crap what you boosted Miami about because I wasn't even talking about that. You can accept Miami's illegal immigrant population, it's higher percentage of spanish speakers, it's worse economy, worse foreclosure problem, and higher unemployment yet even though those things are better in LA, you can't accept it when it comes to LA. Get it now yet? If not maybe have someone translate that into Russian because I am sick of repeating it.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 PM

7,788 posts, read 7,580,197 times
I would opt for L.A. over N.Y.C. in a heartbeat!

I really enjoyed Manhattan when I spent time there 2 years ago, but it's density lifestyle and climate is NOT for me. (However, L.A. wouldn't be my choice of places to live in California.)

Old 08-21-2010, 03:36 AM

62 posts, read 11,434 times
What the heck? This is suppose to be a " Where would you rather work" Question, not which city is the best or number one. This thread turn into "which city is the best".

Old 08-21-2010, 09:52 AM

648 posts, read 861,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You also said forecslorues, unemployment, economic decline, spanish speaking people, etc.. You basically claimed it was the worst at everything when it's not.
I never said it was #1 in any of those things. I said it was horrible in those things which it is. Those are all MAJOR problems there. You are just disputing it to try to prove that I was exaggerating. Which I am not doing anything but stating facts.

Quote:
If beaches in Long Beach were any dirtier don't you think they would be on the list genius? And those beaches aren't dirty due to proximity to LA at all but rather due to a local pollution source like nearly ALL beaches with water quality problems. What a horrible and completely uniformed comment to suggest these beaches are dirty because of LA.
No I do not think it would be on the list because that list is idiotic. That list says Maine has dirtier beaches than whats its name. And since Long Beach is not on that list, and there are cargo ships pulling in and out of that port leaking oil and fuel in the water probably some paint too then can you see why Long Beach is grimier than a beach in Maine?

Quote:
And you are not very intelligent since you don't seem to understand how water pollution works at local beaches. You just think because it's near a big metro area that the beach is automatically dirty or some crap? Almost always it's a LOCAL problem with polluted beaches and not some widespread pollution epidemic due to urbanization.
Yes I do believe that since a beach is close to cities they are more disgusting, more filled with trash, and slimier. I also see more oil streaks in the water near cities than away from cities.

Quote:
You were inferring it was the worst in these things which it is clearly not.
Again, completely missed the point I was trying to make. I was showing that LA is not covered in a huge freeways and in fact does not have a lot of freeways compared to it's population. Get it now?
It has a ____load of freeways and they are huge, they are always backed up, the public transport sucks, basically everything about that city's transport both private and public is pathetic "compared to its population." The metro area is included in a city, everybody goes by that here, so yes Orange County is included. They are all included.

Quote:
And for the 37th time you missed my point AGAIN. I don't give a crap what you boosted Miami about because I wasn't even talking about that. You can accept Miami's illegal immigrant population, it's higher percentage of spanish speakers, it's worse economy, worse foreclosure problem, and higher unemployment yet even though those things are better in LA, you can't accept it when it comes to LA. Get it now yet? If not maybe have someone translate that into Russian because I am sick of repeating it.
I do not accept Miami's illegal immigration problem. I do not accept any place's illegal immigration problem. I never said a word about any of that because it was not a thread about "would you rather work in SD or MIA" it was a thread about "SD vs MIA" which means unemployment, foreclosures, traffic, Spanish, and illegal immigration are irrelevant. The thread was about what the cities have to do, clubs, food, downtown etc etc. This is about actually LIVING AND WORKING in a place and when you live and work in a place you should know the reality of the place before you pick LA thinking life will be a breeze and you will be at the beach every day. Living in a place is completely different and I would bet that most people who live in LA do not even go to the beach that much or hiking in the hills that much. It becomes life, commute, and work. You will have to deal with all of those problems and problems are reality and reality gets annoying as all hell.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:45 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,695,098 times
Well, most people don't do much of anything at all, in LA or elsewhere. In LA though, the options for doing something are very numerous on all fronts and ways. LA's work environment does in general seem to be more relaxed. There's also the crazy option of living within easy commute of both work and fun--all you have to do is be willing to put space at a greater premium (but generally less than the same premium as in NYC usually for the same rapid work/home commute).

Old 08-21-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I never said it was #1 in any of those things. I said it was horrible in those things which it is. Those are all MAJOR problems there. You are just disputing it to try to prove that I was exaggerating. Which I am not doing anything but stating facts.
You said it leads the country in all these bad things and now are trying to back track after you were showed it doesn't.
Quote:
No I do not think it would be on the list because that list is idiotic. That list says Maine has dirtier beaches than whats its name. And since Long Beach is not on that list, and there are cargo ships pulling in and out of that port leaking oil and fuel in the water probably some paint too then can you see why Long Beach is grimier than a beach in Maine?
The list is just as credible is yours.
Quote:
It has a ____load of freeways
Given it's population it's actually doesn't and that's a FACT. That is why traffic in LA is so bad, it doesn't have enough freeways to handle it's population.
Quote:
I do not accept Miami's illegal immigration problem. I do not accept any place's illegal immigration problem. I never said a word about any of that because it was not a thread about "would you rather work in SD or MIA" it was a thread about "SD vs MIA" which means unemployment, foreclosures, traffic, Spanish, and illegal immigration are irrelevant. The thread was about what the cities have to do, clubs, food, downtown etc etc. This is about actually LIVING AND WORKING in a place and when you live and work in a place you should know the reality of the place before you pick LA thinking life will be a breeze and you will be at the beach every day. Living in a place is completely different and I would bet that most people who live in LA do not even go to the beach that much or hiking in the hills that much. It becomes life, commute, and work. You will have to deal with all of those problems and problems are reality and reality gets annoying as all hell.
You just don't get it do you? The point, once AGAIN, is that you would live in Miami despite all those problems but when it comes to LA they are now all of a suddenly unacceptable. It's hypocritical. Maybe one day you'll actually understand what I'm saying there.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:47 PM

7,788 posts, read 7,580,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Bro24 View Post
What the heck? This is suppose to be a " Where would you rather work" Question, not which city is the best or number one. This thread turn into "which city is the best".
Yep, you're absolutely right! And I'm one of those who didn't read it right.

But I work to live, so my answer is still L.A. I wanna play in the warm sunshine as soon as the whistle blows at five!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City