Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianIvanov View Post
Most people pick LA for the weather so you think it is wrong for someone to pick NY because it is denser which means it is more walkable, you need no car, you do not get fat as easily, and you can walk to everything? What is so wrong with that, or do you not want it to be used as an argument because it does not suit your choice? LA can not give me Brighton Beach I know that.
Not everyone likes walking everywhere, and for those that do, LA is dense enough in A LOT of places to satisfy the urge. Just like there are plenty of people that dont wanna be a on cramped hot subway train all day. And seeing as how NYC's weather is sh*t for 6-8 months out the year, all that walking and train riding would get old real quick.... just my thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,051,360 times
LA, no question. It's got weather, beaches, nightlife, restaurants, arts, culture, theme parks...I see nothing that I need that NYC has that LA does not.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:03 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
The weather and entertainment is much better in LA

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,354,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
LA, no question. It's got weather, beaches, nightlife, restaurants, arts, culture, theme parks...I see nothing that I need that NYC has that LA does not.
This.

Besides, some of the best friends I have ever had the pleasure to know live there.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:06 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,379,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWest View Post
If you're lower or middle class, LA is comfortable. NYC is tough if you don't have a great income. Hands down NYC if you have money.

But with all things equal, IMO Los Angeles isn't even in the same league as NYC.

NYC all the way!
I wouldn't call living in a cramped house in a dangerous neighborhood, a "comfortable existence". Neither is living in Palmdale and commuting to downtown LA just to have a middle class existence comfortable.

As an LA resident for the majority of my life, I can admit when LA has its faults. But its still home. I'd live there simply because I know the place, and can save on rent whenever I need to since both my parent's houses are still there. After all, I'd rather help my parents pay THEIR mortgage and help THEM out before a complete stranger.

As for the rest of this thread; what do you people expect. This is City-Data. You really think that people here are representative of what people everywhere want? Hell, I'd be surprised if our forum population represents even 10% of the way the mostly American populace thinks.

Reality is, I want less people to move to LA because much of the problem with LA right now has to do with the fact that SO MANY PEOPLE have moved there in years past that the infrastructure hasn't caught up to accommodate that many people. That's what runaway growth looks like. For so many years, Southern California has been putting more and more people on less and less land. It's almost like city planners are in DENIAL that LA is a large city and attempt to make people acheive the suburban dream on one hand, but not have any more space to do it on the other hand. See how those two things don't make sense in the long term? Even the SFV is stuffed full of people. In my zip code alone, there's a population density of over 11,000 people. Is that NORMAL for a supposedly suburban area? No, its not.

New York has had hundreds of years to deal with this problem. Think about New York in the 1890s and the early 1900s. It went through a lot of growth pains, but look where it is nowadays.

At the same time, the LA area has been experiencing somewhat of a brain drain for this past decade because white collar industries outside of entertainment have been slow and coming. It seems that more and more of California's white collared workers are opting for the Bay Area instead. Again, I've stressed this time and time again, LA really needs to diversify its economy instead of chasing away non-entertainment industries.

This is why I want some other city to have Hollywood. Once that teat is removed, maybe we'll find ways to make the city better for everyone. I don't see how living 5-10 minutes away from the "Entertainment Capital of the World" for most of my life made it any better. If anything, its made it worse because its brought people to LA who don't even care about the place, treat us LA natives like garbage whenever they work, and only adds to the negative reputation that is my city.

This is why there is so much virtirol in the California and Los Angeles forums. People are already fed up, and its not that much better in real life. Sure, you can blame every single problem on the illegal immigrants (which most people are beginning to nowadays anyways), but its the moronic leadership and people who actually have control of the situation that have failed us the most. Even more so than that, LA residents themselves don't even care anymore. That's the worst part about all of this.

Chances are, I'm probably NOT going to live in LA in the long term simply because the options for a college graduate are shrinking and shrinking. Or in other words, finding opportunities of growth in LA are shrinking. It's not necessarily that I want to go; the situation is FORCING me to go. Or I can suffer like the rest of my friends for the rest of my life living in a place that is becoming increasingly unlivable simply because of ego and ignorance.

LA has great strides during the years that I grew up (its a WHOLE lot safer than it used to be), but its weathering through the recession extremely poorly. Shouldn't it be time for a wakeup call?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,168,505 times
I love this thread because people are praising L.A. and that makes me happy.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:10 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
That's basically how I see it. I figure with NYC, if you prefer CERTAIN arts, and CERTAIN culture, than someone would favor it over LA.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:15 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I wouldn't call living in a cramped house in a dangerous neighborhood, a "comfortable existence". Neither is living in Palmdale and commuting to downtown LA just to have a middle class existence comfortable.

As an LA resident for the majority of my life, I can admit when LA has its faults. But its still home. I'd live there simply because I know the place, and can save on rent whenever I need to since both my parent's houses are still there. After all, I'd rather help my parents pay THEIR mortgage and help THEM out before a complete stranger.

As for the rest of this thread; what do you people expect. This is City-Data. You really think that people here are representative of what people everywhere want? Hell, I'd be surprised if our forum population represents even 10% of the way the mostly American populace thinks.

Reality is, I want less people to move to LA because much of the problem with LA right now has to do with the fact that SO MANY PEOPLE have moved there in years past that the infrastructure hasn't caught up to accommodate that many people. That's what runaway growth looks like. For so many years, Southern California has been putting more and more people on less and less land. It's almost like city planners are in DENIAL that LA is a large city and attempt to make people acheive the suburban dream on one hand, but not have any more space to do it on the other hand. See how those two things don't make sense in the long term? Even the SFV is stuffed full of people. In my zip code alone, there's a population density of over 11,000 people. Is that NORMAL for a supposedly suburban area? No, its not.

New York has had hundreds of years to deal with this problem. Think about New York in the 1890s and the early 1900s. It went through a lot of growth pains, but look where it is nowadays.

At the same time, the LA area has been experiencing somewhat of a brain drain for this past decade because white collar industries outside of entertainment have been slow and coming. It seems that more and more of California's white collared workers are opting for the Bay Area instead. Again, I've stressed this time and time again, LA really needs to diversify its economy instead of chasing away non-entertainment industries.

This is why I want some other city to have Hollywood. Once that teat is removed, maybe we'll find ways to make the city better for everyone. I don't see how living 5-10 minutes away from the "Entertainment Capital of the World" for most of my life made it any better. If anything, its made it worse because its brought people to LA who don't even care about the place, treat us LA natives like garbage whenever they work, and only adds to the negative reputation that is my city.

This is why there is so much virtirol in the California and Los Angeles forums. People are already fed up, and its not that much better in real life. Sure, you can blame every single problem on the illegal immigrants (which most people are beginning to nowadays anyways), but its the moronic leadership and people who actually have control of the situation that have failed us the most. Even more so than that, LA residents themselves don't even care anymore. That's the worst part about all of this.

Chances are, I'm probably NOT going to live in LA in the long term simply because the options for a college graduate are shrinking and shrinking. Or in other words, finding opportunities of growth in LA are shrinking. It's not necessarily that I want to go; the situation is FORCING me to go. Or I can suffer like the rest of my friends for the rest of my life living in a place that is becoming increasingly unlivable simply because of ego and ignorance.

LA has great strides during the years that I grew up (its a WHOLE lot safer than it used to be), but its weathering through the recession extremely poorly. Shouldn't it be time for a wakeup call?
I know what that's like being from South Florida. You know which non-natives I'm talking about.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:33 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,808,427 times
NYC, but I'm bias.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,449,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
Yes and a lot of people picked Los Angeles even though that's hard for you east coasters to believe!
Houston counts as the east coast now?

Anyway, for me it has to be New York City. It's much more my style. I could see enjoying Los Angeles for a visit--maybe even an extended visit--but not long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City